Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Default firearms licence ?

Went to the south CT store in Red Deer to look at a shotgun for my brother in law this morning. Asked the young man if I could take a look at one of the shotguns in the display case. He asked me if I had my firearms licence with me. As I don't carry it with me all the time he said he could not show me the gun. I've been in lots of sporting goods stores and have asked to see different guns but this is the first time anyone has asked to see my licence to look at a gun. Is it standard practice to see someones firearms licence to look at a gun or was this young man on a power trip?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
He asked me if I had my firearms licence with me.
I think he was "JUST" doing what he is told to do .My 2 Cent
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Default power trip

You can posess (handle) it as long as the person behind the counter has a licence to possess it, which he must if he is handling it in the first place. In that case he can 'lend' it to you even if you don't have your licence with you, as long as you stay nearby (assume you didn't intend to walk around the store with it!!)
There may be some store policy against it, but that's between you and CT. If the kid just said you can't touch it because you don't have your licence, then he's wrong.
D

From the firerarms act:

Authorized Lending

Authorization to lend

33. Subject to section 34, a person may lend a firearm only if

(a) the person

(i) has reasonable grounds to believe that the borrower holds a licence authorizing the borrower to possess that kind of firearm, and

(ii) lends the borrower the registration certificate for the firearm, except in the case of a borrower who uses the firearm to hunt or trap in order to sustain himself or herself or his or her family; or

(b) the borrower uses the firearm under the direct and immediate supervision of the person in the same manner in which the person may lawfully use it.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Sharpedge

Default Power trip be darned.

The person behind the counter has every right to ask of a 'firearms licence' from the enquiring customer. What better way to establish whether the customer has any idea about firearms etiquette or what the law requires?
And how on earth can a person standing behind a Canadian gun-counter have any real control over what the recipient of a firearm might do with it?
It was such a situation in Calgary years ago where a young counterperson was shot and killed by someone "just looking at a gun" that had been innocently passed to him.
And I've seen too many examples of firearms been waved about in stores by know-alls who know nothing about gun-manners.
Sharpedge
Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Happened to me too

I have had this happen in reputable gun stores like Phoenix, Mil-Arm and P&D in Edmonton. I don't know the "law" on it per se, but yes- I've had the same thing, particularly when asking to handle Restricted weapons. In fact, Phoenix won't let you handle/ see a prohib from their case without the prohib class on your PAL.

By the way, it's good to hear Can-Tire in Red Deer and Calgary is still selling firearms. To the best of my knowledge none of the CT's in Edmonton still do.

Another reason to move to Calgary!

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Default right or not

Yes, they can ask for it, but it's not required. And I expect every one of the idiots who we've seen wave a firearm around has a licence. Having PAL/POL doesn't ensure anything about how you behave.
The idea behind the requirement that the lender has to accompany the borrower is to ensure that they behave properly. A polite 'Sir, would you mind making sure the barrel stays pointing up' is all that's needed. If someone was shot in a store after passing someone else a gun to look at, then there are a whole bunch of things that went wrong there; way out of this league.
D
Old 09-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Sharpedge

Default right or not

Dear Outt and Aboutt,
You have missed my point entirely and reacted like a snarly dog.
As you have kindly indicated previously: The law (spirit of) requires 'direct and immediate supervision' from one who is authorised.
A person standing behind a typical counter is not in this position nor do they have the real means to effect anyone's misbehaviour!
This is why gun-counter persons are invariably armed in other juridictions.
Yes a bit extreme you might say up here in Canada but I stand behind what I've written.
A 'Sir, would you mind making sure the barrel stays pointing up' might do the trick, and ought to be unecessary. But what if they ignore such a simple request?
Have you been "there"?
Stay sharp.
Sharpedge
Old 09-14-2007, 02:41 PM

It was such a situation in Calgary years ago where a young counterperson was shot and killed by someone "just looking at a gun" that had been innocently passed to him

I've never been to a gun store that would allow a loaded gun in the store. They will not let you handle a firearm and ammo at the same time and they make sure the firearm is unloaded by opening the bolt and passing it to you that way.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Sharpedge

Apparently the perp took the cartridges with him and loaded the subject rifle! The poor innocent young lad behind the counter was MURDERED. And a decent responding Calgary police officer has walked with the aid of a stick ever since.
Now tell me that a gun-counter-person has no rights!
Sharpedge
Old 09-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpedge View Post
Apparently the perp took the cartridges with him and loaded the subject rifle! The poor innocent young lad behind the counter was MURDERED. And a decent responding Calgary police officer has walked with the aid of a stick ever since.
Now tell me that a gun-counter-person has no rights!
Sharpedge

Never said counter person has no rights. As far as the perp goes would it have made any differance if he had a pal? Probably not. But I do see your point-if a person says they have no pal it makes you wonder-did they leave it at home or do they not have it for a reason?