Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 PM

Default African firefighter well paid.

http://www.cdnfirefighter.com/headli...-company-40422
Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Anyone performing labour in this province has to be paid at least minimum wage. That's the law. Alberta minimum wage, not third world minimum wage. Ideally I would have dictated that they be paid the same as Alberta Firefighters, but by law they had to get at least minimum wage.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Anyone performing labour in this province has to be paid at least minimum wage. That's the law. Alberta minimum wage, not third world minimum wage. Ideally I would have dictated that they be paid the same as Alberta Firefighters, but by law they had to get at least minimum wage.
This whole thing sounds fishy. How can these fire fighters be coming from poor places?

Why not simply do away with poverty by raising the minimum wage to 15 bux an hour in those places? You know like the dems are doing here.

2018 Alberta will be poverty free.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Huh

Why would we bring them over if there is no advantage?
Seriously, well trained it says in the article? it was a 10 day program, and we needed skilled firefighters not a refugee camp.
Sorry, but I hope this never occurs again. Province is now out how much of my money for this fiasco?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Seriously, well trained it says in the article? it was a 10 day program, and we needed skilled firefighters not a refugee camp.
Sorry, but I hope this never occurs again. Province is now out how much of my money for this fiasco?
Fun nt how they say the province was short staffed last year. LIES, crews were sitting and waiting, My crew was one of them patiently waiting for a call but they brought in Mexicans instead.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the old, I know a friend who knows a friend and suddenly some employment agency is SA smells there's money to be made.

Grizz
Old 06-16-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
?
We shouldn't be bringing them over as a cost saving strategy. We should be bringing them over because it's an emergency, they are experienced and skilled, and we need them. If not all those factors are true, they shouldn't be here. If these factors are true we should be paying them at least the legal wage. Nobody else can bring in temporary foreign workers (which is really what they are) and pay them below minimum wage.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 PM

Default Yes

True, so that makes it easy, we are not in need of foreign workers for fire fighters. When we trade Wildland fire services on mutual aid agreements, thats a different story, but we do not have a mutual aid agreement with South Africa.
Lets get our crews on the lines. I spent a week with an Ontario crew last month helping me out and they were real fine fire fighters, but still some differences from the way Alberta crews work, but was glad to have them.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:59 PM

I do not know how experienced these wild firefighters were , who ordered them or the process involved , or how it who paid them .
What I do know is that as soon as I found out they were coming, I knew it was going to go bad!
Cat
Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 PM

They could have pad me Min. wage and I would have been all over it. I know a lot of guys on their days off would have as well just to go help out.....and they are trained already....
Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I do not know how experienced these wild firefighters were , who ordered them or the process involved , or how it who paid them .
What I do know is that as soon as I found out they were coming, I knew it was going to go bad!
Cat
One of those deals where your first thought is, there's something wrong with this picture.

Grizz
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
They could have pad me Min. wage and I would have been all over it. I know a lot of guys on their days off would have as well just to go help out.....and they are trained already....
This was more about a "feel good story".........that failed miserably.
Anybody surprised?