Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Someone is harassing my family online and through text

There is an individual that has been texting myself and my wife all day , saying disturbing things , he has a fake phone number ( Illinois) from panger app and a fake Facebook page made in the last day. How do I find out who this person is. And yes the police were called Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

What did the police say?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Haven't heard back yet.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM

pretend like its the wife hes talking to and string him along for some extra fun on the side kinda thing and when he shows, well....... correct the situation...., that's all I got, next to the police.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:23 PM

Perhaps call the police where the individual is calling from. I know when I dealt with this kinda crap if the person who was sending the messages in a different jurisdiction than the individual who was being "harassed" there wasn't a whole lot the locals could do. But if you filed a complaint where the problem was originating from they could have specific statutes pertaining to that. For example in Montana they have Privacy in Communications.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 PM

Call Telus. They can trace it and have anti-harassment rules too. They can forward info to police. Make police open a file. Don't let them sluff it off. Give file number to telus.
Will show you are serious about complaint. Cops get lots of folks complain, but not follow through. Waste of their time.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM

Default !

He's probably using skype, as a side note.

Which would make it quite difficult to deal with.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM

If someone sets up a Facebook account can't you trace the IP address it came from?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
If someone sets up a Facebook account can't you trace the IP address it came from?
PM Nikanit she is an IT expert and knows how to find these louts !
Cat
Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

If you have an iPhone, just block the number. Don't reply and he'll probably go away.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
Everyone who is not in IT thinks that 'oh, you can just find the IP address and get it dealt with!' and this is said all the time.

Facts:

1) Most ISP's run DHCP. This means every time you log in, you get a different IP, or your IP will change periodically. Some enforce it every X amount of time, to discourage people from running home servers, so you have to pay more for a static IP.

2) You would have to petition Facebook/Skype/Etc, and they are unlikely to give up the info to the cops, let alone you, and take months.

3) There is no magic way that you can find out who it is, unless you can social engineer them into doing it.

4) The reason police rarely follow up on this stuff is for the reasons above.. it's extremely labour intensive and often gives no results at all, so they straight up do not bother.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Everyone who is not in IT thinks that 'oh, you can just find the IP address and get it dealt with!' and this is said all the time.

Facts:

1) Most ISP's run DHCP. This means every time you log in, you get a different IP, or your IP will change periodically. Some enforce it every X amount of time, to discourage people from running home servers, so you have to pay more for a static IP.

2) You would have to petition Facebook/Skype/Etc, and they are unlikely to give up the info to the cops, let alone you, and take months.

3) There is no magic way that you can find out who it is, unless you can social engineer them into doing it.

4) The reason police rarely follow up on this stuff is for the reasons above.. it's extremely labour intensive and often gives no results at all, so they straight up do not bother.
Thirty is pretty bang on, sad reality folks.

If it's a stranger that's just playing games, block the number or change her number.

Maybe it's someone she knows, it's been known to happen.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Turn your phones off for a day pr two when u can