Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
The only real reason that Les uses a shot gun is because that it makes great footage when they are close to the camera. A shotgun makes the moving hits easier when they are in your face. I've successfully hunted coyotes since before I could drive. I'm 35 now. I tried carrying a shotgun for a season and I can tell you that it's not worth it. The extra gun is a pain in the arse. It's far easier to stop them at 150 yards and make them dead.

I'm also a fur buyer and can tell you for a fact that a shotgun killed coyote does not sell as well as one shot with a 223. Most buyers will miss the shotgun damage but the auction fur graders don't. The pellets cut the hair, so instead of a single bullet cutting hair now you have 30+ bb's acting like a three year old with a pair of scissors.
Duelly noted. I think if you call in a double or triple it would make it easier to get 2 up close with the shotgun and a possible 3rd running rifle shot. If they all run in to close range you might even get all 3 with a shotgun. I've seen him get a easy shotgun double that would have been a hard rifle double. Btw he shotguned coyotes in competition in the 80,s loooong before his show.