Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Calling Lake area snow pack question

Just thought I would ask if anyone has been in the area in the last week. I like to check out the area I hunt around and look for sheds this time of year with the quads and are usually good to go this time of the year as far as the deep snow being gone. It's a good time to go as the swamps are frozen and you can explore new areas with snow only in the shady spots. Just wondering if the melt is on pace with other years or if the cut lines are still mostly covered. I was up there to fish Calling march 30th and took a quick tour and there was still 3 feet of snow everywhere. Thanks for any info as I don't want to make the drive if we cant use the atv's easily.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM

I was on the quad this past weekend in the Sandy Lake area a little farther north. The wide open cutlines that get sun were clear with the muskeg nice and solid. The smaller shadier ones still had a foot of snow were a bit much for my little quad
Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks Big K. I was thinking there could be more than a bit in the shady lines or back side of hills after seeing 3 ft left not quite a month ago.