Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Default Whats the cost of a lock smith

Well daughter broke and lost the keys to my rv Was wondering if any body knows what it cost for a lock smith to open and cut keys to a trailer??

New door lock and handle is 55.00 bucks at rv store

Thanks
Shawn\

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Wife locked herself out of the house while I was out of town, cost her 136... Another placed quoted 180

Don't know if it's cheaper for an RV lock
Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Locksmith

..... Meant for PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM

i locked myself out of my apartment (...self locking doors) so it was $50 to get in
Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM

going to try to get emergency window open and slide devil child in. I mean my son in the window

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM

When you buy a new lockset have it rekeyed to your house key. One less key to carry.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Well daughter broke and lost the keys to my rv Was wondering if any body knows what it cost for a lock smith to open and cut keys to a trailer??

New door lock and handle is 55.00 bucks at rv store

Thanks
Shawn\
Are there any numbers on the lock itself? These would probably be a code to cut a key.

The locksmith should be able to code cut the key for a variable price ($5-$20 depending on where you go). Just go into a shop and possibly bring pictures of you next to the door and a close up of the lock as proof you own it. Bring the broken key as well.

Is the key broken close to the top of the keyway or is it deep in? If it is fairly close to the top you can use a toothpick and some fast set 2 part epoxy to remove the key yourself.

Mix up a small amount of epoxy and put a VERY VERY small amount on the tip of the toothpick. Now hold it against the broken end of the key until it sets then slowly pull the key out. You have to be careful not to get epoxy into the lock which is why you only use a very small amount on the very tip of the toothpick.

If you bring the trailer to the lock shop it should cost less than the $55 to get the key out and make a new one. If they have to travel to you it would probably cost a bit more due to travel rates.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Are there any numbers on the lock itself? These would probably be a code to cut a key.

The locksmith should be able to code cut the key for a variable price ($5-$20 depending on where you go). Just go into a shop and possibly bring pictures of you next to the door and a close up of the lock as proof you own it. Bring the broken key as well.

Is the key broken close to the top of the keyway or is it deep in? If it is fairly close to the top you can use a toothpick and some fast set 2 part epoxy to remove the key yourself.

Mix up a small amount of epoxy and put a VERY VERY small amount on the tip of the toothpick. Now hold it against the broken end of the key until it sets then slowly pull the key out. You have to be careful not to get epoxy into the lock which is why you only use a very small amount on the very tip of the toothpick.

If you bring the trailer to the lock shop it should cost less than the $55 to get the key out and make a new one. If they have to travel to you it would probably cost a bit more due to travel rates.
dont have the key she lost it