Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 12:05 PM

Default Long Range Scopes

Hey guys, looking for opinions on the Vortex Strike Eagle, Vortex PST, Night Force SHV FFP scopes. Will they work well for long range shooting/hunting/PRS? Or should I save up and spend quite a bit more on a NX8, NXS or Razor? Also open to other suggestions.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-09-2022, 12:12 PM

I have several friends who use them and love them all the way out to 1K.
I prefer a SFP for several reasons , most if the concerning my eyes , but many do not have the sane problems I do.
Cat
Old 01-09-2022, 04:34 PM

Depends on how far you wanna chase that rainbow.

Heres my two cents from experience:

FFP scopes are good for PRS matches or long range shooting. I say that because I've found FFP scopes (Nightforce ATACR line) very addicting in engaging multiple targets at various distance. You can use the method called 'Milling' the target. Where as knowing the height and width of the target you can use your reticle to determine how far the target is down to 5% margin of error.

For hunting close range, I would probably stick with SFP scopes. Simply because with the power moved all the way down, the reticle is too tiny to focus on the animal with FFP scopes.

I've had a friend use his Vortex Razor and is having problems already. I haven't had a problem with any of my ATACR's yet.

I also run an SHV on my coyote gun, and while it lacks the comforts of the NXS lines, it does the job wonderfully.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Depends on how far you wanna chase that rainbow.

Heres my two cents from experience:

FFP scopes are good for PRS matches or long range shooting. I say that because I've found FFP scopes (Nightforce ATACR line) very addicting in engaging multiple targets at various distance. You can use the method called 'Milling' the target. Where as knowing the height and width of the target you can use your reticle to determine how far the target is down to 5% margin of error.

For hunting close range, I would probably stick with SFP scopes. Simply because with the power moved all the way down, the reticle is too tiny to focus on the animal with FFP scopes.

I've had a friend use his Vortex Razor and is having problems already. I haven't had a problem with any of my ATACR's yet.

I also run an SHV on my coyote gun, and while it lacks the comforts of the NXS lines, it does the job wonderfully.
How do you find the eye relief on the SHV? That's my biggest concern with them.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 PM

As a gopher/ target shooter I use only second plain scopes I like to see my target and find FFP cover up to much area on the targets. For hunting I use Duplex and have never had a problem and they can be used as a "rough" range finder as well.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How do you find the eye relief on the SHV? That's my biggest concern with them.
Eye relief on my SHV (5-20x56) I find very forgiving. I've had it on several rifles of mine before it ended up on my Remington 700 varmint. Never had a problem with it.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, looking for opinions on the Vortex Strike Eagle, Vortex PST, Night Force SHV FFP scopes. Will they work well for long range shooting/hunting/PRS? Or should I save up and spend quite a bit more on a NX8, NXS or Razor? Also open to other suggestions.
I have a Nightforce 12-42 x 56 (NPR2 Illuminated reticle) on my .257Wby. I love it, but realistically, I don't think I need that much scope on that caliber. The NPR2 reticle is awesome as it provides numerous "crosshair points" to shoot at a wide range of distances without touching the scope settings (kinda like having multiple sight-pins on a bow).
Old 01-10-2022, 04:30 PM

I have a NF SHV 4-14x56 on my 257 wby but it’s a sfp. I really like it with a 300 yard zero 2moa puts me on at 400, 4 moa at 500 and a hair over 6 at 600. I really don’t notice any difference in the glass compared to all my NXS scopes.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM

What's a nice used Nightforce 12-42 x 56 worth these days?
Old 01-11-2022, 03:39 PM

You mentioned hunting AND long range ....

The big consideration is low magnification here, if you are using it for hunting. I can't image a scope that "starts" at the low magnification of 12 power to be of any practical use for typical hunting field situations.

Maybe it's a me problem - but I like to be able to dial it down to 3,4,5 power and keep it there and then crank it up if I need to 9,12,15 or whatever if the target is out there a ways and I need the magnification and have a steady rest and some time

trying to find and keep a moving target in your view at shorter ranges would be problematic I think
Old 01-11-2022, 06:12 PM

Ezm, some of the nightforce scopes are 2.5-20 or 4-32 makes them pretty appealing for hunting and long range shooting. I really wonder how tiny that ffp will look on that low end, it may be unusable.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:22 AM

For all my rifles intended to shoot past moderate range ( 3-400 in my world) I don't bother with ffp or range finding reticles ect. I keep it simple.
Use highest BC bullet I can. Zero for MPBR for caliber and figure out on my reticle how to ensure deer is inside my MPBR and shoot. I prefer a bdc reticle for hunting and know if it's far enough to need drop calculation it's going to be on max magnification. Even a .308 can get you a mpbr distance far enough out to allow time to range and dial for further shots.. keep things as simple as possible. Reticle ranging is great for sudo sniping and range work and is a great skill to develop, but in field there's often too many variables and time limitations to make it happen.
Rifle setup is key. My .308 is set to a mpbr of 300yds with a +- of 3.5" my 400yd drop is 20" so anything within 300yds is just point and shoot I use my bdc to verify distance but when in doubt I always use the range finder. If your prone behind a gun bringing up a RF with your shooting hand doesnt make enough movement to matter.
If your hunting spooky deer that run the moment you see them even at really long range get a flatter shooting rifle and take more precautions to your stalk. JMO

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2022, 01:20 PM

So what you guys are saying is theres no point on using a FFP for hunting, and I'd be better off with another rifle. I already have a range finder and good bino's, but want something quicker where I dont have to move as much. 25-06, 270, or 7RM with a fixed 6 I should be able to get a 300 yard MPBR easily, maybe even a bit further depending on zero.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM

Buy yourself a Burris Eliminator scope. Range, compensate, and shoot. My buddy has couple of these scopes and although I don’t like them his works very well.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Buy yourself a Burris Eliminator scope. Range, compensate, and shoot. My buddy has couple of these scopes and although I don’t like them his works very well.
They are very heavy, and they have had issues in cold weather.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the glasss isn’t grea but if the op wants something fast it could be an option.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Like mounting a 5lb bazooka on top of your rifle ....
Old 01-19-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
So what you guys are saying is theres no point on using a FFP for hunting, and I'd be better off with another rifle. I already have a range finder and good bino's, but want something quicker where I dont have to move as much. 25-06, 270, or 7RM with a fixed 6 I should be able to get a 300 yard MPBR easily, maybe even a bit further depending on zero.
I don't see much sense in a FFP scope and using it for ranging while hunting. But some guys like them.
Way to much calculating going on for me.
A rangefinder will give you the precise distance and a center hold with dialed turret or proper hash mark with a fixed power or SFP variable works far better fir me . I really like using a duplex crosshair these days .
Cat
Old 01-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
You need range finding binoculars…. So Binoculars with a rangefinder built into them
Old 01-19-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You need range finding binoculars…. So Binoculars with a rangefinder built into them
Any recommendations? I currently run the Diamondbacks and cheap bushnell RF. Which has worked well. But I'm starting to take long range (1000+ yards) target shooting seriously so was going to upgrade the RF anyways.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Any recommendations? I currently run the Diamondbacks and cheap bushnell RF. Which has worked well. But I'm starting to take long range (1000+ yards) target shooting seriously so was going to upgrade the RF anyways.
Which ever one’s you can afford
I know a few guys with the sigs and they are pretty good
Even on sale right now

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13056...ing-binoculars
Old 01-19-2022, 06:10 PM

The price from low quality to high end is huge. It depends what you want to spend. I bought new Leica Geovids this past fall and I think they were around $3200
Old 01-20-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If I were in your shoes, that’s what I would do.
Look at the drop chart out to 400m for a 7 rem mag with a 120gr or 140gr Barnes or a 270 launching a 110gr barnes and determine whether you can’t just hold on big game. If you’re not already reloading, I’d spend the extra money on that so you have your own supply of practice and hunting ammo then just get real familiar with it at all sorts of ranges and burn powder.

Now I know some people hunt with a setup like you started this whole conversation with but I certainly don’t. A 6.5x55 with a fixed 6x can cover a lot of hunting in this province. The 30-06 currently has a 3.5-10 but I still haven’t felt the need to burn the CDS dial for it

I also like vanilla ice cream so I’m good with being viewed as boring haha
Old 01-20-2022, 05:09 AM

Maybe look into a Leupold with a CDS dial. Once you get your load or use factory ammo. Send in the information for a cap that has your dope on it. All in yards so it’s a range, turn and shoot. No converting nothing or thinking in mills or MOA.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:20 AM
Banned

https://youtu.be/sJ_q_9CWIAo
Old 01-20-2022, 07:48 AM

A friend of mine bought the sig range finding binos this fall. We compared my geovids to his sig. they both read the exact same range. The glass in the sigs is not quite as good as the geovids but still pretty dam good. The vortex diamond backs aren’t even close to the sigs for clarity.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
A friend of mine bought the sig range finding binos this fall. We compared my geovids to his sig. they both read the exact same range. The glass in the sigs is not quite as good as the geovids but still pretty dam good. The vortex diamond backs aren’t even close to the sigs for clarity.
Ya the sigs are definitely a good value
Old 01-19-2022, 03:02 PM

Your 308 should get you close to a 300yd mpbr if you use a higher bc / weight ratio bullet. I use a nosler Etip 168gr. Good BC great penetration on game....range finding binos are a great suggestion but $$$. A faster flatter rifle will definitely give you an edge, but properly judging at least max distance is important. Range finders are not that hard or slow to use. At least gives you a rough idea to distance. IMO ranging with your reticle is much slower and not nearly as accurate except for perhaps judging if its inside or outside your MPBR in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk