Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2024, 07:11 AM

Default Selling firearms from an estate

Hypothetical sitiation , a person that has firearms and wants to sell firearms listed in it ...they have no PAL so can't keep them . How do they go about disposing of the guns , do they need govt . permission? Or do they just need the purchaser to have a PAL?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2024, 07:56 AM

If the deceased had a valid PAL, the privileges of that license are transferred to their executor for a certain length of time (I don’t remember off hand it’s on the RCMP website)

Transfers of handguns and prohibited firearms remains prohibited, they would “have to” be surrendered at the end of the transferred PAL term. For any registered firearms, they certainly do flag on the royal gestapo system if a PAL holder does not renew.

I think we all know the reality of this situation though
Old 09-11-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
If the deceased had a valid PAL, the privileges of that license are transferred to their executor for a certain length of time (I don’t remember off hand it’s on the RCMP website)

Transfers of handguns and prohibited firearms remains prohibited, they would “have to” be surrendered at the end of the transferred PAL term. For any registered firearms, they certainly do flag on the royal gestapo system if a PAL holder does not renew.

I think we all know the reality of this situation though
So I know a woman who's uncle died in Saskatchewan. The uncle had no other family. The woman got rcmp to do a welfare check. The RCMP went in the house. Found the body. Then proceeded to search the house. Took all the guns . Told the woman in Alberta who was only living relative and the one who he willed everything to that she couldn't have the guns because she had no PAL.
So her daughter had a PAL and was able to get the guns that the police said was there back. RCMP sure didn't tell her about this executive clause. I wonder how many family heirlooms get taken away in these welfare checks?
Old 09-12-2024, 08:08 AM

The second option is to call ward auctions in Edmonton .They will even come pick them up . They will sell them for you for around 18 % off the sale price .
but if you know what they are worth best to sell them on hear .
Old 09-12-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
So I know a woman who's uncle died in Saskatchewan. The uncle had no other family. The woman got rcmp to do a welfare check. The RCMP went in the house. Found the body. Then proceeded to search the house. Took all the guns . Told the woman in Alberta who was only living relative and the one who he willed everything to that she couldn't have the guns because she had no PAL.
So her daughter had a PAL and was able to get the guns that the police said was there back. RCMP sure didn't tell her about this executive clause. I wonder how many family heirlooms get taken away in these welfare checks?
It's like the RCMP takes some kind of satisfaction when they seize firearms from the public, whether it's because of some accusations made against the owner, or whether it's just an opportunity, like the owner passing, or some natural disaster like a fire or flood.
Old 09-12-2024, 08:44 AM

there are special rules about selling firearms from an estate..
it is my understanding that you can sell them with out a licence as long as its part of the estate.
you can not keep them unless you have them "deactivated"
you must sell them to a person holding a valid PAL
Old 09-12-2024, 09:49 AM

Agreed with all of the above...the ARSEYMP run real loose...the estate lawyer can sell them...or act as the agent...when my Dad passed...we let them know of a couple of pistols right away...documented and followed up with an email....5 years later someone gets busy and gives my Mom and angry threatening call...I follow up and get the same... I then reference the phone call and email date statement and that was followed up by more meanness...then I referenced my Dad was a 35 year cop and to escalate....later that day everything changed real qwik and the pistols were in my name...who would have thought they could be so reasonable after they were told they had 2 days to make it right or it goes to the media with everyone's names over the past 5 years

Last edited by stob; 09-12-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
They would have to seize the guns, as they can’t leave them.

But they straight up lied about the PAL and they friggen well know that rule.

Piles of family heirlooms and personal firearms are seized, damaged and destroyed, illegally, by the royal gestapo every year. But then they got issued assault patrol carbine rifles while the rest got banned, and shoot at fire trucks, so you know how much competence and oversight you can expect out of them.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:51 PM

Figured I would add on here instead of starting a new thread.

What happens if you want to will your firearms to a youth? If the surviving parent doesn’t have a pal. Do they have to go to a pal hold in the intern?
Old 09-12-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
..we let them know of a couple of pistols right away......later that day everything changed real qwik and the pistols were in my name...
Interesting story but not to be taken as advice. Handguns from a deceased hit the end of their road under the current regime.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntcarpenter View Post

What happens if you want to will your firearms to a youth? If the surviving parent doesn’t have a pal. Do they have to go to a pal hold in the intern?
I'm farm but I'm as legal as can be. I'm betting 99 percent of rural residents unless they are new people on acreage from the city but I bet 99 percent just never bothered to get a PAL.
It's a pain in the butt. You have to go hire a photographer and apparently mail (registered) in your application a year early and worst of all keep renewing it.
I always follow the law but sometimes I think I'm the minority. I believe most farmers are not dedicated hunters. Everyone has house full of guns but they only use them on their farm so unless a domestic or some reason police come. Example a fire so firemen tell police guns are in the house. Everything just gets passed down under the table. But gosh almighty the way we are headed every gun could be illegal in the future.
If Pierre Poilievre gets elected and undoes some of the restrictions I think I'm going to start the process of getting my restricted PAL and get back into handguns again. I'm just going to do it out of spite because they are doing everything they can to discourage and make it hard.
Old 09-14-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntcarpenter View Post

Get that youth a Jr POL, assuming that they can then posses them as long as they are non restricted.