Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Seems like all that dope smokin' made you a little paranoid
Why is that?
I'm not the one relying upon tales of doom sponsored by a group whose jobs are dependent upon you buying in.

Besides... I have not touched the stuff in almost 30 years.

That said I do have friends that never really stopped.

Of course all of them also understand moderation and how to recreate responsibly.

When I was a teenager the same people referred to above sent police to our schools to tell us all that smoking pot would make us gay.
How do you suppose that they figured that out?
Well it was too easy... they went to communities where there were a lot of a lot of musicians, entertainers, artists, free thinkers and yes homosexuals.
IOW... "the village" and then they asked them if they were gay...when they realized that they were gay and when they started to smoke pot.

Then they polled people in the most conservative middle class communities they could and...compared the results.

Using the same methodology they could have claimed that smoking pot would make a guy Mexican or a Jazz player.

In the time that has passed since then... those same people have continued to put forth the same sort of evidence derived using the same "scientific" methods.

So in the end I guess...it isn't paranoia if to question what the government man tells ya if that same fellow can be shown to be a habitual proven liar time and time again.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
There is a lot more going on with the health of young people now than pot and a significant number of them are being subjected to prescribed drugs that chemically alter their behavior and of course some are also using other drugs...all of which are well and long known to be linked to seizure disorders.

It seems just a bit too neat and convenient to me that the graph ignores all that and other relevant facts while suddenly discovering after generations of people the world over have used pot that suddenly.. that use... causes seizures.

Really? You're joking, right?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why is that?
I'm not the one relying upon tales of doom sponsored by a group whose jobs are dependent upon you buying in.

Besides... I have not touched the stuff in almost 30 years.

That said I do have friends that never really stopped.

Of course all of them also understand moderation and how to recreate responsibly.

When I was a teenager the same people referred to above sent police to our schools to tell us all that smoking pot would make us gay.
How do you suppose that they figured that out?
Well it was too easy... they went to communities where there were a lot of a lot of musicians, entertainers, artists, free thinkers and yes homosexuals.
IOW... "the village" and then they asked them if they were gay...when they realized that they were gay and when they started to smoke pot.

Then they polled people in the most conservative middle class communities they could and...compared the results.

Using the same methodology they could have claimed that smoking pot would make a guy Mexican or a Jazz player.

In the time that has passed since then... those same people have continued to put forth the same sort of evidence derived using the same "scientific" methods.

So in the end I guess...it isn't paranoia if to question what the government man tells ya if that same fellow can be shown to be a habitual proven liar time and time again.
Where did you go to school? Bashaw?
I love and play Jazz by the way...............
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM

7 pages and how many minds changed?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Wasn't sure this was on OD'ing.

When I stopped smoking pot it was on the cusp of the wheelchair varietal, which I found gave me brutal hives. I also found it too noddy and also made getting motivated towards anything really trying, it just didn't fit me anymore. All the best to those who do and get pleasure, just not my thing.

Back on subject; the quality of THC is pretty darned potent,, will every person taking a puff enjoy the numbing or will some go over the edge in whatever maybe going on in their head? We may find out more on this via Colorado, as there are numerous articles on not being able to do true assessments because of it being illegal. Findings on the psychosis of mice under the influence of THC are no better models than computers are at predicting climate change.
Depends.

You need to understand the difference between species and how their blending has been influenced to answer that.

Ideally the plants causing the effects that you describe would be bred out if legalization occured.

The only reason they are the norm now is because the wide awake and happy plant variety is pretty darn hard to hide as they are very tall.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

I'm starting to think the conclusion to this topic would be if the bulk of posters on this topic got together and smoked a big fattie? Afterwards I'm sure we could come to a consensus quite rapidly. No Bogarting though. Who's pitching fins?

This is hilarious
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with Bashaw?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Do you feel you get desensitized or build up a tolerance and then need more to get the same feeling? That is what one buddy said before he went mostly cold turkey. Now just smokes once or twice a year.

Before that he had to smoke more and more to get the same feeling.

Curious about your take on that.
I do not smoke pot. But you do get desensitized a bit, not a lot. A heavy heavy chronic smoker still gets high when he smokes a good joint. If he smokes dope all day long by the end of the day he doesn't really get "high" later in the day, but if he sets the pipe down for a few hours or more and picks it up again and lights up he will get a good buzz once again!!!! I have not smoked pot for almost 20 years now. I drink like a fish on the weekends though. After smoking pot everyday for about 5 years and drinking on the weekends, I am able to make a judgement on the two.(because I have experienced both to the full extent). booze is more toxic and harmful to your body and can make you do things you would never do sober. Smoking pot is better than boozing.(And this is coming from a boozer!)
Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think the conclusion to this topic would be if the bulk of posters on this topic got together and smoked a big fattie? Afterwards I'm sure we could come to a consensus quite rapidly. No Bogarting though. Who's pitching fins?

This is hilarious
Actually just seeing some recent contrary peer reviewed studies showing pot does not harm the brain would be good.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 PM

The problem with pot you'd buy on the streets is not the pot itself, but what its laced with. Lots of pot now a days laced with crystal meth to give you a better high. IMO you should just stay away from street drugs altogether. Just for the simple fact as your have no clue what your putting into your body.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

For you AO members who have been to Nepal. You do not see everyone stoned as a certain little herb grows like a wild wood weed everywhere you walk.

And yes there is that crowd of Americans, who I hoped have moved back to Colorado.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:

At the very least... why would one not just consume brownies? Why smoke it? Some insightful comments much appreciated. Just curious.
How one consumes marijuana results in a different high. Eating the drug, as in the case of brownies, leads to what's referred to as a 'body stone'. This is a type of stone that you feel more in your body. I'm not sure how to explain it really, but just felt more in the body.

Smoke a J, and it's the proverbial, 'rip your face off'. More in the head type of stone.

Sorry I can't articulate that more appropriately, but just a different kind of stone.

Quote:
Do you feel you get desensitized or build up a tolerance and then need more to get the same feeling? That is what one buddy said before he went mostly cold turkey. Now just smokes once or twice a year.

Before that he had to smoke more and more to get the same feeling.

Curious about your take on that.
Without question. Just like alcohol.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually just seeing some recent contrary peer reviewed studies showing pot does not harm the brain would be good.
In today's world "peer reviewed" is a questionable at best. I'm more inclined to believe "Pot Head Reviewed" studies.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
How one consumes marijuana results in a different high. Eating the drug, as in the case of brownies, leads to what's referred to as a 'body stone'. This is a type of stone that you feel more in your body. I'm not sure how to explain it really, but just felt more in the body.

Smoke a J, and it's the proverbial, 'rip your face off'. More in the head type of stone.

Sorry I can't articulate that more appropriately, but just a different kind of stone.

Without question. Just like alcohol.

Cheers
Probably due to the difference in THC entering the blood stream. By eating the brownies they would be filtered by the liver first and less would be absorbed then by smoking it and having it go essentially directly into the blood stream.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Probably due to the difference in THC entering the blood stream. By eating the brownies they would be filtered by the liver first and less would be absorbed then by smoking it and having it go essentially directly into the blood stream.
Seems reasonable, but wouldn't that simply result in how stoned you are, vs a different feeling of being stoned?

I see the two types of consumption as producing a different result.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Seems reasonable, but wouldn't that simply result in how stoned you are, vs a different feeling of being stoned?

I see the two types of consumption as producing a different result.

Cheers
Yes but unless your eating a ton of of brownies you won't be as stoned as if you smoked say half a joint. So perhaps the different feeling is from the longer duration/less intense high that'd you'd get from the brownies. Which would be caused from the different routes of absorption as you are saying. In saying that Im almost positive that if you ate enough brownies to get your THC levels to the same height as they'd be from smoking you'd get the same feelings. Another alternative is that you become slightly light headed while smoking pot due to decreased oxygen intake when smoking a joint.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Yes but unless your eating a ton of of brownies you won't be as stoned as if you smoked say half a joint. So perhaps the different feeling is from the longer duration/less intense high that'd you'd get from the brownies. Which would be caused from the different routes of absorption as you are saying. In saying that Im almost positive that if you ate enough brownies to get your THC levels to the same height as they'd be from smoking you'd get the same feelings. Another alternative is that you become slightly light headed while smoking pot due to decreased oxygen intake when smoking a joint.
Now that's just interesting raab.

I'd like to hear from others on this, those willing to share of course, but I would put forward that the more I ate, the less functional my body would be. By that, I mean, my arm would weigh heavier to attempt to lift it, as an example.

If I smoke several joints, I don't feel that same effect. But my eyes get heavy.

Of course, the effects are not simply limited to how I mention, but examples to help distinguish the feeling between the two methods of consumption.

It's Easter. I should make some brownies anyway.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
The problem with pot you'd buy on the streets is not the pot itself, but what its laced with. Lots of pot now a days laced with crystal meth to give you a better high. IMO you should just stay away from street drugs altogether. Just for the simple fact as your have no clue what your putting into your body.
I think that is another perpetuated myth.

The effects of the 2 are so different and have the potential to do harm to the user.

You light up a joint after work to relax and then proceed to go on a meth trip, I think anyone would know something is really wrong.

Like has anyone watching this thread know of anyone who (with the exclusion of a pre-existing medical condition) ingested pot and required medical attention or who bought something laced that resulted in your typical meth/pcp kind of behavior?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Really? You're joking, right?
Not at all.

Look at all the other drugs in use including the prescribed ones.
Consider what that pot might have been adulterated with.
Consider.... medical successes have had the windfall effect of furthering the spread of undesirable genetic traits.
Understand... what ages certain conditions tend to reveal themselves and a host of other variables.

You cannot simply look at a condition then single out one commonality and make the determination that you have all the answers.

Good Lord... that is the same sort of bad scientific method that determined that AIDES was caused by homosexuals and would only infect gay men.

In science you avoid steering your method towards an answer that is pre-determined which... looking at that graph and then visiting the source seems to be exactly what might have occurred.

So... that begs the question.... Are you serious or just a bit gullible and predisposed to accept that which confirms your own bias despite what your own senses tell you?

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 04-18-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nope.

That was in about 1980... and IIRC.... there were ads on TV and pretty much the whole of law enforcement in Canada picked up that DEA funded "study" and ran with it.

It was pretty funny though...especially the reactions from some of the girls.

Mine GF at the time told the cop that she hoped it did.... so she could catch a break....lol
Old 04-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Of course it harms the brain... so do cigarettes and alcohol and a myriad of other legal activities.
The only question is...how much and whether that harm is worse than the harm done when you start locking people up and forcing them into a life that results in lost opportunity.... poor diet...depression etc etc.

Does the harm done by pot use outweigh the harm done to the person and their brain and subsequent generations by a system that calls them criminals for their vice and truly results in a life sentence?

Is the current cure worse than the disease?

Its pretty clear that it is.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is hilarious
And endless.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Depends.

You need to understand the difference between species and how their blending has been influenced to answer that.

Ideally the plants causing the effects that you describe would be bred out if legalization occured.

The only reason they are the norm now is because the wide awake and happy plant variety is pretty darn hard to hide as they are very tall.
Good point.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Good point.
I'm just old enough to remember pure strains and the HUGE difference between them.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Of course it harms the brain... so do cigarettes and alcohol and a myriad of other legal activities.
The only question is...how much and whether that harm is worse than the harm done when you start locking people up and forcing them into a life that results in lost opportunity.... poor diet...depression etc etc.

Does the harm done by pot use outweigh the harm done to the person and their brain and subsequent generations by a system that calls them criminals for their vice and truly results in a life sentence?

Is the current cure worse than the disease?

Its pretty clear that it is.
Everyone has rights, no one has responsibilities.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Everyone has rights, no one has responsibilities.
Well when the state locks guys up...denying them their rights they do assume responsibility for them...don't they?

All we have to decide is whether or not we want to take responsibility and control over the lives of others or... let them muddle along like anyone else that has bad habits has to.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Gone Hunting

WOW you lock people up in your world for bad habits?

Ya know I learned a lot from reading your posts in this thread.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
WOW you lock people up in your world for bad habits?

Ya know I learned a lot from reading your posts in this thread.
No we do not ...and that is the point that you seem to have missed.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Default personal opinion

I know some folks that are very intelligent that smoke.
I also know people who cannot function with out it who are on the same mental plane as a rock.
personally hate the smell of it
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM

This thread has been an interesting read. At the end of the day, I would imagine most people, pot smokers or not, wouldn't want their kids smoking. That can be said about drinking as well, I'm sure there are studies out there about the damage that alcohol can have on developing brains. Add in today's technology that is helping dumb them down, and well, I don't need to say more.

As adults however, if people choose to smoke, they shouldn't be demonized, judged, stereotyped or made criminals for that choice. I would bet that most of the antis have dealt with someone on a regular basis and would never know that they smoke. Most pot smokers are not what you see on Dazed and Confused, they are successful people. It isn't the substance, it's the person. Some can have a few drinks and not get out of hand, some can't stop at a few same with smoking and there is no science behind the myth that it is a gateway drug. It should be decriminalized, there are many reasons why it makes good sense.
Closed Thread