Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2021, 08:51 AM

Default SPFGA New Policies

For those of you that are members of SPFGA, if you don’t read your e-mail notices, you might want to start. Many people don't read their notices, so they will not be aware of the new policies, just as most are not aware of why the elected president, is no longer the president.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:28 AM

I looked on the Website and only the Spring 2021 Newsletter is posted there. I have the July 1 Safe and Sound Email Letter in my files. I found the latest one in the Archives section. The requirement to acknowledge receipt and reading of it within 14 days to maintain your range access is new. I did not see anything in there about the President stepping down or the reason for it.

https://www.spfga.ca/safe-and-sound-archive/

Last edited by Dean2; 07-24-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:38 AM

Is this the email sent out on July 23rd? I'm not seeing it.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM

Pay careful attention to the July 23 Safe and Sound. If you don't acknowledge that you read it, and all future Safe and Sounds, they are threatening to take away your range access. Acknowledging that you read all Safe and Sound Bulletins is now mandatory.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-24-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
Personally, I think the new policy is total stupidity, but I would hate to see people ruin their day by driving out, to find out that their card is deactivated.

Quote:
. I did not see anything in there about the President stepping down or the reason for it.
The president didn't step down he was forcibly removed by other members of the executive, and was replaced with someone that they appointed. Don't you feel that the membership should have been made aware of this, considering that they elected the president?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-24-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:59 AM

Sounds like a classic case of Cover Your Ass by the executive. Read and acknowledge a safety document so they can plead plausible deniability if someone gets hurt. Liability of such an occurrence would lead to lawsuit against the executive of the club. Such is the world we live in. I deal with daily as a Construction Manager.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Sounds like a classic case of Cover Your Ass by the executive. Read and acknowledge a safety document so they can plead plausible deniability if someone gets hurt. Liability of such an occurrence would lead to lawsuit against the executive of the club. Such is the world we live in. I deal with daily as a Construction Manager.

The problem is that many members get so many e-mails, they don't bother to read many, some even unsubscribe from most. Many members will have no idea that this new policy exists. I spoke with three friends who are SPFGA members, none of the three bother reading the notices. I don't even read them all. Some senior members do not even have computers, or use e-mail.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-24-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:17 AM

Elk

I did not know the President was forced out. I guess I am going to have to talk to a few people and see what the problem is. Unless he violated some game law, groped a staff member or something equally aggregious I too think election would be the right way to put someone new in place but at this point I have no idea why he was removed do can't say whether I disagree with it or not.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:27 AM

This is how organizations are able to abandon smart, simple, common sense and consistent rules, and move to an evergreen micromanagement style where policies change on a weekly basis. I deal with this crap daily at work, so I guess we are starting to run out of places to escape it even for just a few hours.

Granted covid has caused difficulties for everyone to try and keep up with a moving target,
I hope this is not how the SPFGA wants to continue to operate going forward.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Elk

I did not know the President was forced out. I guess I am going to have to talk to a few people and see what the problem is. Unless he violated some game law, groped a staff member or something equally aggregious I too think election would be the right way to put someone new in place but at this point I have no idea why he was removed do can't say whether I disagree with it or not.
Don't you as a member feel that the executive should have at least made an effort to notify the membership of something as important as the president being removed?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-24-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Don't you as a member feel that the executive should have at least made an effort to notify the membership of of something as important as the president being removed?
I do. But in the meantime...what was the deal?
Old 07-24-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I do. But in the meantime...what was the deal?
Speaking with the now ex president, it sounds like a new group of people thinks that the club should be headed in a new direction, and anyone that opposes them will be gone.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Speaking with the now ex president, it sounds like a new group of people thinks that the club should be headed in a new direction, and anyone that opposes them will be gone.
OK...not sure what to make of this.

Per bylaws, process for removal is found in Bylaws 4.1.7

Elections (at AGM) are governed by 4.1.4

I checked the GM agenda for June 26th and I saw no election of officers listed. Just seemed to be financial reports/budget?

April 5th Bullet Points only stated:

Recent Board changes

Some recent changes may see us asking for members interested in Board service in the near future.

We'll need a chance to discuss it, but the Board may be putting out a call for interest in a future issue of Bullet Points.

Watch for it here!
Old 07-24-2021, 12:45 PM

I double checked my emails from SPFGA and I did not receive a email on July 23 relative to Safe & Sound or any other email on July 23 from SPFGA. I had to go into their archive files on their website to find and read the Safe & Sound and acknowledge that I have read the document.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
I double checked my emails from SPFGA and I did not receive a email on July 23 relative to Safe & Sound or any other email on July 23 from SPFGA. I had to go into their archive files on their website to find and read the Safe & Sound and acknowledge that I have read the document.
I am thinking that you would not have been overly understanding had you not seen this thread, and driven out to the range , only to discover that your card was disabled. Of course that could still happen if for some reason you do not receive a future e-mail.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Not a member myself but, passed this on to a couple of buddies who are, both were unaware. They said to say thanks for the heads up.
It's really crappy when politics come up in the things we like to do to relax.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
Not a member myself but, passed this on to a couple of buddies who are, both were unaware. They said to say thanks for the heads up.
It's really crappy when politics come up in the things we like to do to relax.
Most people are unaware, some never get the e-mails, and most never read them. I expect hundreds of irate members in a couple of weeks, if they follow through with this nonsense.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:43 PM

Politics happen when two or more people gather.
Anyone who thinks politics should not happen in our recreation, has not paid attention to this site.

SPFGA is not my club, but I would surely be involved and asking questions, when reading of removal of the President.
Membership deserves clarity and assurance of due process.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:51 PM

First thanks for the heads up.

Second being retired pre COVID we would often head away for 3 to 5 month trips and we do not read email during these trips so the 14 day requirement would mean that my access was cancelled. There is no mention of a pro rated refund or an appeal or re-activation process should this occur.

As this is a significant change to operations that could impact member access, is this not something that should be presented to the membership and voted on?

The removal of the sitting president has been kept very silent --- which is strange.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think the new policy is total stupidity, but I would hate to see people ruin their day by driving out, to find out that their card is deactivated.

The president didn't step down he was forcibly removed by other members of the executive, and was replaced with someone that they appointed. Don't you feel that the membership should have been made aware of this, considering that they elected the president?
Quote:
Wasn't there a thread about the SPFGA internal strife that was leading up to this development, that got deleted about 7 months ago? I seem to remember reading words like "hearsay, private club matters, and slander" along with the ever present "that'll never happen" and "they can't do that" shortly before the thread got nuked.

Or am I remembering that differently?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2021, 06:42 PM

Is there a list of the current executive somewhere?

LC
Old 07-24-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Wasn't there a thread about the SPFGA internal strife that was leading up to this development, that got deleted about 7 months ago? I seem to remember reading words like "hearsay, private club matters, and slander" along with the ever present "that'll never happen" and "they can't do that" shortly before the thread got nuked.

Or am I remembering that differently?
I think it was right along those lines yes.
Club members need to find out what went on and start putting questions to the executive at a meeting by the sound of things .
Cat
Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 PM

Sound like some egos are at work. Correct me if I am wrong, but if a president, who is elected by membership, is to be removed, would it not be incumbent on the executive to inform the membership as to what transpired?

It pizzes me off to no end when people who serve at the pleasure of membership, start acting as if they have divine right to shape or run their little kingdom.

Sounds like the executive has some answering to do.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
For those of you that are members of SPFGA, if you don’t read your e-mail notices, you might want to start. Many people don't read their notices, so they will not be aware of the new policies, just as most are not aware of why the elected president, is no longer the president.
Do you have any idea when the president was removed?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Do you have any idea when the president was removed?
This happened around the beginning of April.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 AM

Luckily I happened to read that email and click on the acknowledge button. I think that this is a horrible idea BTW. Other ones include the fact that you don't have to wear your ID around your neck anymore. It was a good way to help ensure that only memebers were using the range.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 PM

I spoke with one of the current board members. I guess it’s normal for the board to remove members as they see fit with no communication to the general membership. I don’t agree with it, I understand from time to time a change needs to be made but it really should be communicated with the general membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk