Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Mechanic help for Son's truck, please.

The truck is a 2003 Mazda Tribute 6 cyl. AWD.
The code showed up as an oxygen sensor (front, in exhaust manifold I think).
It idles rough but won't power up or rev past 3000 rpm or so.

Background on what happened:

This vehicle has always had misfire problems when wet. Even sitting on the driveway for a couple days in rain would cause it to run rough as hell until it warmed up. (similar to Ford Escapes/looks like same engine)

The other day coming home from hunting on snowy roads, it started to peter out, but there was no way we were going to pull over on a narrow icy hwy in the dark, so we limped along until we barely made it to a safe place to stop. And it wouldn't power up anymore.

When we opened the hood, the engine was snowy and wet and steaming, and the exhaust manifold was glowing orange hot. It would still idle but wouldn't move.

Now I don't know for sure but I think the catalytic converter/s is plugged and it can't exhaust enough. (have since banged on cats and it improved slightly)

I suppose it could be electronic (it's dry now though), but all symptoms point to an exhaust flow problem. Not 100% on that but I think it is.
It wouldn't be worth it to replace cat converter/s on this vehicle, so I'd like to just have them cut out and run regular pipe and muffler exhaust, if that's indeed what the problem is.

Please chime in with what you think, if you know someone who will fix it, or if you would like to take on the job yourself. It's a simple exhaust, would need some cut and welding in a couple sections of pipe.

We are in west Edmonton.

Any help would sure be appreciated. He needs to get to work (and still has a moose tag in his pocket ).

Thanks, Bob
Old 11-13-2019, 11:17 AM

most exhaust shops will remove the CAT and put in a piece of pipe for you. The problem you may run into is that with the CAT removed you will throw CEL's for the O2 sensors. A trick to try with that is to buy spark plug arrestors, the thought behind this is to get the o2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust gases.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
most exhaust shops will remove the CAT and put in a piece of pipe for you. The problem you may run into is that with the CAT removed you will throw CEL's for the O2 sensors. A trick to try with that is to buy spark plug arrestors, the thought behind this is to get the o2 sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust gases.
That would be great if they will. And if I'm understanding what you're saying, the light will just stay on but the vehicle will run ok? Can live with the CEL staying on in this old truck.
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM

going into a wet season,

please don’t get made BUT

SELL THE PIECE OF GARBAGE

You mentioned almost leaving you stranded and to be blunt if there is a accident and they find out you knew of a problem the percentage of liability goes up

I know you just want to fix the ONGOING PROBLEM

But no sell it and move on, this will be an expensive fix and you said it always has misfire problems

Sorry but this is a permanent fix, and good luck with a short term solution

short term until you trade it off this weekend

and seriously trying to help sir
Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 PM

And yeah we'd do that if we could afford it right now, Cement Bench, and will soon as we can, but he's just out of high school (1st car which has been pretty good overall), just enlisted and waiting on the military, and just needs to get a few more months out of it.
If we have to, we have to, but I'm hoping to make it last until he goes to boot camp.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM

If it only happens when it gets wet it’s not an exhaust issue. Check your coil, it’s probably cracked and misfiring hard when there’s moisture
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 11-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:43 PM

have you replaced the plugs and wires as well?

see if there is a used CAT at a wrecker, might be worth seeing if it would change the problem.

If you were in Calgary, I would say bring it over and lets work on it.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold, tie it up with wire so it does not drag on road. A short drive will tell you if it is the cat or not. As others mentioned it is probably electrical related since it acts up when wet. Open the hood in the dark and watch for arcing from the coil etc. Remove the dist cap and spray WD40 inside and out. Had a guy wash his motor in a car wash next to me, when he tried to leave all it would do is sputter and backfire. I had my service truck with me,so i removed cap ,sprayed wd40 and he drove away like nothing happened. Good luck Phil.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:18 PM

My old truck used to not start when it rained or snowed..like others have said check for moisture on cap. For me the weather seal had fallen off on one side of the hood so 4 of 8 were corroded. Replaced plugs which were corroded, cleaned cap and good to go.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 PM

If I remember right those engines are coil on plug (have a separate ignition coil for each cylinder) and were quite a common failure. Try taking some water in a spray bottle, Windex will also work, and spray the coils one at a time while its running. Wait a minute or two before moving to the next coil. If the engine starts misfiring after you spray a coil, replace it. If I remember they're quite easy to access too.

Also noticed that you said 6 cylinder. Was it just one exhaust manifold that was glowing or both?
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Banned

A friend has the same problem...I'm going to keep close to the educated responses
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 AM

A plugging catalytic converter won’t act up only when in wet conditions! It’s either plugging or it’s not it won’t only plug when engine gets wet. Which leads me to believe you have a misfire problem due to a coil or spark plug. These engines are common to have moisture getting down past the seal where the coil mounts and that water causes it to misfire like crazy and with a misfire like that your exhaust can glow red. Now with that said if this has been going on for a long time your converter may be starting to plug because of the excess of unburnt gases going down the exhaust. You may have a few issues that need taking care of.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:02 AM

To add to what many others are suggesting above, about it being ignition problems. This could also explain the red hot exhaust manifold - if you have uncombusted fuel-air mixture coming out of your cylinders due to a bad coil hence no spark, it could hitting auto-ignition temp and combusting in the exhaust manifold when it gets mixed with hot exhaust coming from other cylinders.

Not a mechanic, just speculating...
Old 11-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Think it's actually illegal to do that now and affects the running of the engine. Snow on the engine ?

Grizz
Old 11-14-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Think it's actually illegal to do that now and affects the running of the engine. Snow on the engine ?

Grizz
Until Alberta gets yearly mandatory vehicles inspections there's no way to enforce it. Pretty sure it's still legal. Voids the warranty if there's one, but other than that - god bless. Will not pass the inspection is resold but if that is not an issue...
Old 11-14-2019, 09:57 AM

go to an exhaust shop they can likely switch out the cat for $150 or less, aftermarket ones are cheap. I did that on truck I owned, nothing to it.

I also cut a hole in a cat with a holesaw and gutted it in an escape, then mig welded it back up.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Bad O2 sensor puts the vehicle into closed loop fueling which may not work well with a plugged cat. Remove the Cat and replace the O2 sensor. May have to trick it but a good shop can help you with that. Stuck in closed loop your fueling will be set by the ECM table and you will most likely over fuel. That may and will cause misfire. To check plug wires and COPs start with dry engine and use a fine water mist from a spray bottle at night and watch for arcing. Can also check resistance on all coils and and boots. Inspect boots for cracking as they may arc under coil and you will not see it. Pull all plugs and inspect.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the tips and the messages, guys. I appreciate it.

The exhaust was plugged right up. Muffler shop cut out and/or cleaned out the cats. Three of the damn things on this vehicle.

Bob
Old 11-17-2019, 08:45 AM

A miss can cause problems with the cat. so there is no use fixing that without fixing the miss. If you get it fixed we have used a silicone spray to water proof the wires etc. It has been a long time since I have run into this problem I don't even no if they still make it.