Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Default Honda eu2000 c/w cold weather kit

Has anyone had trouble with this generator stopping suddenly in cold weather? It doesn’t surge at all before it stops. We use it to keep the batteries topped off in our ice shack and run it steady while we are out there. Runs at an idle most of the time unless a load is put on it. It started doing this after second winter of use. Runs fine in the summer. Did it last weekend during the storm conditions while out hunting. I’ve had it inspected at the dealer twice. Still does it. I inspected and cleaned the carb and tank strainer as it seems to run out of fuel. When it happens you need to choke it and pull the rope multiple times to get it going. Last weekend it was snowing lots and I thought maybe the vent on the gas cap was freezing shut as it was iced up around the lever on the cap. I’d cycle it a few times, start it but it wouldn’t run more than 30 minutes before it stopped again. -28 C at the time. Finally drove home and brought back a 3000 Honda. Any insight will be much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 PM

With mine the air cleaner would plug up with snow and would stop. I used a rubbermaid & cut a hole for the exhaust and plug ins. Never had a problem after that.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Great idea. I’ll try it. Thanks much.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Cold Weather Kits

These special cold-weather kits were created to address some unusual operational issues with Honda generators operated in extremely cold environments for extended periods of time. While all Honda generators can operate quite well in cold weather, there are some very rare cold-weather conditions where it is possible for water to collect and freeze inside the crankcase breather tube fitted between the air cleaner and crankcase. When this happens, the formed ice can block air flow and possibly cause the generator not to work properly, or some oil to leak out of the engine.

To prevent this, Honda has developed a small, 10-watt heating coil that fits inside the tube and keeps the area warm enough to prevent ice from forming. The heating coil gets its power from the generator by connecting to the back terminal of a selected receptacle. Each kit is unique to a specific generator, and some come with special insulated parts to help regulate the temperature. Once installed, the cold weather kit may remain on the generator; it is okay for it to operate year-round.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Banned

Gasoline antifreeze?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM

I suggest blocking the wind & snow as mentioned with an upside down rubber maid container, with an exhaust port. When I worked in remote NWT we built plywood boxes with exhaust ports to keep generators running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM

I keep mine In the back of truck under my topper. I just keep the door open.