Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Default Don Cherry shoots from the hip.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6151701/...grants-poppies

Awe geez !!! He did it again. Poor Ron looks like he wants to slap him. Is this the one that sinks him ? Thoughts.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Default Don for PM

Good on him for saying what a lot of us think. By the way before the liberal trolls say anything I am married to an immigrant. She is wearing a poppy
Old 11-10-2019, 12:20 PM

I love it when he speaks to things that most news won't touch. Which part of what he says is wrong? NONE, IMHO.....

What Canada has here is why the newbies come. They don't dare speak out like that in their own country for fear of the retribution and this is why they came here in the first place. Combine this with the rainbow poppy issue; it is never a good time to discuss that but even less at this time of year.

I had several members of my family serve; one injured by shrapnel, one killed and another injured.

They ALL volunteered to serve to protect our country and our beliefs....I will NEVER surrender the protocol in remembering what the poppy represents to me and my family.....

Even my g-kids ages 4-10 wear a poppy to school and bow their heads on November 11......Bless them...

I stated in another thread that I would like to see "stick-on" poppies that I could hand out at Halloween. If for no other reason than to have parents explain to the child, the importance of that flower.....I agree, More education is needed......

As for Cherry's comments serve to alienate and divide us is already practiced daily by Trudeau.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:28 PM

I really don't think he was out of line. I think the biggest thing for people is that they are so far removed from wars, they don't really reflect on it. I would like to see schools make a bigger deal of it. I grew up in the Cadets, so I learned, other youth might not. And immigrants from some third world **** hole have their own horrors to deal with. A little more time on it in schools I think would change attitudes. To bad the WW vets are getting to old to address the youngsters.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM

I don't think he's even trying to be controversial he's just getting too senile for TV and is losing his filter. I was surprised Sportsnet kept him when they bought HNIC a few years back he should have retired then.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:34 PM

AMEN, Don Cherry.
I watched that on TV last night and it was great that he brought this up.
It is so true but I can only imagine the uproar in Toronto... how dare somebody speak the truth...

And I agree, there should be more discussions in our schools but unfortunately somebodys feelings may get hurt. It is disgusting how society is going...
Old 11-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Why does saying everyone in Canada should be wearing poppies to say thanks for what we have wrong? Sometimes the truth hurts. Amazing how politically correct everything is these days so now we should forget those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:39 PM

When he said that last night, I turned to my wife and said 'cue up the outrage!'....I knew there was going to be pearl clutching and hand wringing. Because somebody had the guts to say what he honestly thought, and what has a kernel of truth to it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Yes, all Canadians should recognize, respect and honor those that have served us made the sacrifices so we can be free in this country.

On the other hand, his comments serve to alienate and divide us.

I think he is saying and insinuating is that new immigrants are less likely to wear a poppy ..... but it would be far greater for us to bring a higher level of awareness to all of us (including new Canadians) to the importance of remembering and honoring those that granted us the freedoms we have instead of calling them out ignorantly.

This falls on the school and our media, and it is their duty to keep this message alive. I am certain a little girl from Syria, who's in school, and hears this message, will serve all of Canadians best, when she comes home from school and tell her parents about it and encourages them to wear a poppy for the freedom they enjoy.

I am a immigrant born in another country too. This is what I did when I came home in grade 1, wearing my poppy. I explained this to may parents, who didn't know why people were wearing poppies, and after that day, my parents always wore a poppy.

He just needs to think about the best way to send his message.

For those of you, or those of you who have family members who are, or have served, thank-you from my family to yours. We are eternally grateful.

Last edited by EZM; 11-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:43 PM

What the hell, Sportsnet apologized for that. What is wrong with people? I hope they get a big backlash.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6151647/d...rants-poppies/

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yes, all Canadians should recognize, respect and honor those that have served us made the sacrifices so we can be free in this country.

On the other hand, his comments serve to alienate and divide us.

I think he is saying and insinuating is that new immigrants are less likely to wear a poppy ..... but it would be far greater for us to bring a higher level of awareness to all of us (including new Canadians) to the importance of remembering and honoring those that granted us the freedoms we have instead of calling them out ignorantly.

This falls on the school and our media, and it is thier duty to keep this message alive. I am certain a little girl from Syria, who's in school, and hears this message, will serve all of Canadians best, when she comes home from school and tell her parents about it and encourages them to wear a poppy for the freedom they enjoy.

He just needs to think about the best way to send his message.

For those of you, or those of you who have family members who are, or have served, thank-you from my family to yours. We are eternally grateful.
It’s a sad world we live in where this is even being questioned. I do not mind being divided or alienated from the current wave of immigrants that come here now. I’m very very fine with that. The way our government conforms to immigrants nowadays is already causing the divide. Wake up

Last edited by 1899b; 11-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Default Dang Immigrant

So what should I tell him. Your service does not count. 3 tours in Afghanistan and still serving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10408144_10205277634719177_2573782826680755796_n.jpg (62.3 KB, 361 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
So what should I tell him. Your service does not count. 3 tours in Afghanistan and still serving
I think you missed the entire point of what cherry said. I wonder what this soldier feels about people that won't wear a poppy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Good on him for saying what a lot of us think. By the way before the liberal trolls say anything I am married to an immigrant. She is wearing a poppy
Old 11-10-2019, 01:16 PM

see below - forgot to quote ....
Old 11-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It’s a sad world we live in where this is even being questioned. I do not mind being divided or alienated from the current wave of immigrants that come here now. I’m very very fine with that. The way our government conforms to immigrants nowadays is already causing the divide. Wake up
Nobody is questioning the importance for Canadians to wear a poppy .. you certainly didn't get this from my post.

Those are very two distinct issues.

One is to get more Canadians wearing the poppy and honoring those who have served and the best way to do that with a message that isn't divisive.

The second thing, is your personal opinion on immigrants (which is crystal clear) and perhaps your view of the government's policies toward immigration.

Two different things there.

My comments focused on awareness/honoring those who have served (or are serving) and does not speak to my views regarding immigration or our government's policy on the same. For the record, despite being an immigrant, I am not on board with out current government's policy on immigration ..... I bet you are shocked to hear that aren't you?

Trust me ... I'm wide awake.

Last edited by EZM; 11-10-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:21 PM

I watched it live and didn’t even blink. Don is right, they paid with their lives and you look around at a hockey game and there is people that are capable of standing up sitting down and people that won’t take their hats off.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
How does it happen that a Zipperhead who is currently serving is located in Calgary?

Must be an older picture too...……..your wearing the old rank badge.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I think you missed the entire point of what cherry said. I wonder what this soldier feels about people that won't wear a poppy.
Why use the term "immigrant" can we use the word "people", in order not to target a certain demographic.

How many are caught on video stealing the poppy funds that resemble this "immigrants".

I have seen lot of people giving finger, blowing their horn or cutting an older gent when they are driving slow. Do they know if the gent is a vet, because it is ironic that they have "support our troops' plate.

This not rant or political correctness. I think we just need to educate ourselves, most especially if your on national television.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
How does it happen that a Zipperhead who is currently serving is located in Calgary?

Must be an older picture too...……..your wearing the old rank badge.
Seriously that picture is taken in Petawawa. It not me, it is a relative or do you want me to send you his name and rank.This was taken 2016. Oh no he is an immigrant so it might be fake
Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Banned

I agree with old Don!
Old 11-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Seriously that picture is taken in Petawawa. It not me, it is a relative or do you want me to send you his name and rank.This was taken 2016. Oh no he is an immigrant so it might be fake
I have no doubt that the pic was taken in Pet because that is where the RCD is based. I questioned your post because you did not mention that it was not a pic of yourself and your location as per your profile indicates you are in Calgary. Now that everything is clarified, back to the regular scheduled program. Thank you to your relative for his service. I'm an immigrant twice removed and have served a few years myself
Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Banned

Don Cherry is a senile buffoon whose antics appease and entertain the unwashed puck slapping masses. About time for him and his drivel to be removed from public spaces.
Oh yeah, thang damn gimmiegrants ruined Canaduh!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Never heard Don reference anyone who serves their country in bad regard. And most certainly not in this rant. Directed at civilians who walk the streets free due to men and women of service. And their ignorance to remember.

My Guess is your relative would probably agree with Don in regards to wear a poppy and you with the word “ people “.

I agree with Don but think he was trying to get across the point that if you have immigrated here then learn the history and understand that you came here for a better life that was provided by the men and women regardless of race that fought for this country to be free. In turn the Poppy is a symbol to show that you KNOW the history and YOU WILL NEVER FORGET.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Don Cherry is a senile buffoon whose antics appease and entertain the unwashed puck slapping masses. About time for him and his drivel to be removed from public spaces.
Sounds like the game is beneath you. So you should have no worries having to listen to Don Cherry unless what he says hits the mainstream media and triggers all the pansies that walk amongst us....
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
AMEN, Don Cherry.
I watched that on TV last night and it was great that he brought this up.
It is so true but I can only imagine the uproar in Toronto... how dare somebody speak the truth...

And I agree, there should be more discussions in our schools but unfortunately somebodys feelings may get hurt. It is disgusting how society is going...
People like Cherry and Rex Murphy keep us honest.

Grizz
Old 11-10-2019, 03:56 PM

ron is speechless and thinking about ... probably thinking damn iam going to have to try to get don his job back again .

if you are going to live in canada at least try to fit in, some take canada's kindness as a weakness . they exploited and then rubbed in canada face then get paid $10 million.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Sounds like the game is beneath you. So you should have no worries having to listen to Don Cherry unless what he says hits the mainstream media and triggers all the pansies that walk amongst us....
Don Cherry and his rhetoric appeal to the people who place athletes at the top of our societal pantheon, instead of individuals worthy of recognition.

Neither him, nor any other celebrity should open their mouths and make political commentary, seeing how they are unfit for the task and lack any qualifications which would make their opinions valid.

I do find all of the "old stock" whining to be entertaining...
Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Don Cherry and his rhetoric appeal to the people who place athletes at the top of our societal pantheon, instead of individuals worthy of recognition.

Neither him, nor any other celebrity should open their mouths and make political commentary, seeing how they are unfit for the task and lack any qualifications which would make their opinions valid.

I do find all of the "old stock" whining to be entertaining...
Don’t really see how Cherry wanting citizens to wear a Poppy and to remember those who gave their lives along with those who serve now is political commentary. It’s respect !!!! Which I feel you sir know very little about.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
What an idiotic statement. You are a clown. Show some respect for this topic.