Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Banned

Not surprising coming from one of the only two provincial governments that practiced eugenics , ( forced sterilization of mentally challenged persons )

Harvesting human organs without consent ? hmmm

What next collecting shrunken heads,
Old 11-08-2019, 11:58 AM

First day I am going to opt out. That's not the right approach. I am not going to do it if it's automatic "in".

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Pretty easy to look up on Alberta Health page if you have consented, those of you that are worried about scientific research should re-read the options for consent.
I consented to all, I don't need to be taking up a bunch of space as reminder that I once lived. If anyone can use it great, otherwise turn up the flames!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 11.56.44 AM.jpg (38.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Exactly.

I don't know if I'm a donor or not, I thought I signed up for it but will need to check that out. This is a great idea and if you want out sign up. Looks like the majority wins in this case.
It doesn't matter if you didn't sign your consent form, because if you are ever in position to donate organs your family will be approached and asked for consent to harvest.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
First day I am going to opt out. That's not the right approach. I am not going to do it if it's automatic "in".
This is why I would like to see an opt out for donation that precludes those that do from receiving also. It's your right to say no, but then why should you ever receive an organ if you need one???
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 PM

this will put a dent in the organ black market....oh wait
Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM

About damn time.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
This is why I would like to see an opt out for donation that precludes those that do from receiving also. It's your right to say no, but then why should you ever receive an organ if you need one???
I am a donor now but I don't agree with automatic opt in!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Mostly because people have an opinion regarding this issue now but as soon as they are in need they change their mind. And rightfully so, ignorance is bliss, and making a poor choice (in my opinion) shouldn't cost you your life. I have no issue with someone opting out then receiving an organ, I would bet they change their mind about donating.

Last edited by Indy; 11-08-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Slippery slope when your government can take your body parts
Flame suit on!

Who gets your Organs? I don’t want my organs going to someone who’s destroyed their organs; lungs due to smoking, liver to an alcoholic... and any drug addict, convicted criminal or poacher. There should be more choice for the donor than “opt in/out” on your drivers license.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

I don't know if I'm a donor or not, I thought I signed up for it but will need to check that out. This is a great idea and if you want out sign up. Looks like the majority wins in this case.
It'll be on your license if you renewed it recently.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
So if you're in a serious accident and rushed to emergency unconscious you wouldn't mind if they let you die because you weren't able to consent??
Old 11-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I am a donor now but I don't agree with automatic opt in!
The system has been proven to work much better in other parts of the world with much higher retrieval rates than we have here in Canada The biggest issue with transplantation programs is peoples understanding, knowledge and preconceptions.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM

This coming from a “conservative” government. I’ll be bringing this up to leadership as a member of the party. The government should not be involved and it should be left up to the person or their trustee.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This coming from a “conservative” government. I’ll be bringing this up to leadership as a member of the party. The government should not be involved and it should be left up to the person or their trustee.

It is up to the individual - you can opt out. But I do hope that a trustee can speak for the deceased in the case they didn’t opt out but wished they had.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:50 PM

In my mind it should come as a package, do you agree to be in the organ transplant program. If you opt out, you opt out of receiving an organ as well. I have no problem with a positive enrollment, although I could live with the question that I outlined above. When you get your license you are asked do you want to be part of the organ program, a negative answer eliminates you from receiving one as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
In my mind it should come as a package, do you agree to be in the organ transplant program. If you opt out, you opt out of receiving an organ as well. I have no problem with a positive enrollment, although I could live with the question that I outlined above. When you get your license you are asked do you want to be part of the organ program, a negative answer eliminates you from receiving one as well.
Why?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Why?
Why what?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Why what?
Why do you have to opt in to receive a donor organ?
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
It's my opinion? If you are not willing to share with me, I am more than willing to have my organs go to someone that was willing to share. Do you have another thought?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It's my opinion? If you are not willing to share with me, I am more than willing to have my organs go to someone that was willing to share. Do you have another thought?
I understand that point of view. Just wanted to know where you were coming from. I have never expected anything back from anything I deem as a good deed and don’t expect to after death. I hope my organs can save the life of anyone, including those that didn’t hold the same opinion I do. Just my take on it, not argumentative.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
That would be the best scenario but I doubt it will happen. It is brutal that someone that would never help someone else out ends up getting an organ.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The point being is why would someone that is so selfish get a valuable organ in front of someone more deserving???
Old 11-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The point being is why would someone that is so selfish get a valuable organ in front of someone more deserving???
OK - not everyone is selfish. I thought I opted in but apparently I didn’t. Just had the wife sign the form to opt in, she thought I did as well. It’s a poor argument assuming that everyone that is not enrolled doesn’t consent and therefore shouldn’t qualify.

Last edited by Indy; 11-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
So,,, If most of my organs are meh. But the tranplant team system says I need a kidney. But I/they toldme to opt out???

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It's my opinion? If you are not willing to share with me, I am more than
willing to have my organs go to someone that was willing to share. Do you have another thought?
Why not just go full circle, no more free health care for those unwilling to stop smoking,
using drugs etc that end up using a hospital..

I personally have No issues with being excluded & not getting any organs thrown inside me.
I get light headed just thinking about someone else's flesh inside me, yuck.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Is anyone in this the discussion involded in the transplant system for family or friend?

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
So,,, If most of my organs are meh. But the tranplant team system says I need a kidney. But I/they toldme to opt out???
You still have organs that could be used, probably. In your case you can still opt in and they can pick over your parts. No one should be able to tell you to opt out, they might be able to say you are not a great candidate. Kinda like pick a part auto wreckers.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
You still have organs that could be used, probably. In your case you can still opt in and they can pick over your parts. No one should be able to tell you to opt out, they might be able to say you are not a great candidate. Kinda like pick a part auto wreckers.
Most people don't realize once one organ starts shutting down the rest follow.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff

Last edited by vcmm; 11-08-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I’d prefer my wishes not be known until after death to keep the physicians honest
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill