Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Default Our time has come...

Unfortunately, nothing last forever... especially when it comes to our beloved pets. Yesterday just before we about to leave the house to go to our friends for dinner, out 9 years old boy were acting strange. He was laying down on his bed and didn’t want to come to say good buy as he usually does. That was odd, but I thought maybe he is not in the “mood”. His nose was wet and cold, his tummy was tender and he showed no pain anywhere...
Since we were only a two blocks away, I decided to drive home between meals in two hours. He was extremely weak and anemic so we rushed him to the emergency clinic. They took him right away and after an exam the doctor came to talk to us. The news was terrible... he had a hole in his heart due to the most likely a tumour and it filled the outer membrane with fluid that was pressing on a heart muscle and not allowed it to work properly. That was shown clearly on an ultrasound scan. The prognosis wasn’t good. First, they drained the fluids and stabilized the dog. Then the cardiologist will come in later on today to run another scan to determine if the tumour can be removed. Chances of that is about 15-20% max... And since it is a cancerous - it can grow back any time...
So far we are in $2500, if surgery will be advised - another $5K....
He is not in pain, he is not suffering. If the cardiologist tells us that its not operable - then we have to make a decision to put him down or take him home and wait until the cavity gets filled up with the fluids again ( that can take from 2 hours to two months, nobody knows) and then take him back and say our final good by... it’s a tough time for the family now...
Old 10-14-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Unfortunately, nothing last forever... especially when it comes to our beloved pets. Yesterday just before we about to leave the house to go to our friends for dinner, out 9 years old boy were acting strange. He was laying down on his bed and didn’t want to come to say good buy as he usually does. That was odd, but I thought maybe he is not in the “mood”. His nose was wet and cold, his tummy was tender and he showed no pain anywhere...
Since we were only a two blocks away, I decided to drive home between meals in two hours. He was extremely weak and anemic so we rushed him to the emergency clinic. They took him right away and after an exam the doctor came to talk to us. The news was terrible... he had a hole in his heart due to the most likely a tumour and it filled the outer membrane with fluid that was pressing on a heart muscle and not allowed it to work properly. That was shown clearly on an ultrasound scan. The prognosis wasn’t good. First, they drained the fluids and stabilized the dog. Then the cardiologist will come in later on today to run another scan to determine if the tumour can be removed. Chances of that is about 15-20% max... And since it is a cancerous - it can grow back any time...
So far we are in $2500, if surgery will be advised - another $5K....
He is not in pain, he is not suffering. If the cardiologist tells us that its not operable - then we have to make a decision to put him down or take him home and wait until the cavity gets filled up with the fluids again ( that can take from 2 hours to two months, nobody knows) and then take him back and say our final good by... it’s a tough time for the family now...

Sorry to hear this.

Our neighbour has 2 golden retrievers, Our dogs have play dates daily. One collapsed today and it is his time now and they are putting him down today. He is old but such a loving and caring dog. I enjoyed playing with them.

Take care
Old 10-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Very, very sorry. Gut wrenching hard.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Sad to hear...I think we all have soft spots for when our furry family's need care in sickness...so sorry!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-14-2019, 02:52 PM

This will sound horrible to most people. Let your friend go. Trust I know how hard it is. It is a major decision on you and your family. I have honestly been there a few times. I also know I have one sitting beside my feet that is close.
It will break your heart and tear you apart,But it's your best friend. You at least owe your friend that. To the people that think dogs are just dogs.
Bite my lilly red A... And yes I'm okay with an A.O. timeout for this one.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Yup.... very sorry man. The best friends go too fast.

There’s a time for all of us. Give your friend dignity. Cherish the memories.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Banned

So sorry for what you and your dog are going thru. He knows that you will take care of him and he will be waiting for you. I am choked right now, knowing how you feel and also knowing that my day, with my dog will come some day..
Be with him and let him go. I've said before....if there is a dog heaven, that's where I would like to go.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 PM

My heart aches for you and your family. I have been in pretty much the exact spot.

Our dogs are a member of the family. I have honestly had a harder time letting go of a good pet than I have some family members. You don't understand until you've been there.

Thoughts my friend.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Very, very sorry. Gut wrenching hard.
Agreed. I don't even know what to say.

SNS2 pretty much said my thoughts exactly.

Super sorry, man.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 10-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Been there, done that. It hurts like...."heck".
My pain was in my solar plexus for a long time.

I hope you come out OK, but I found it really helps to take advice from others - get a puppy.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Thank you all for your kind words. We are still awaiting the word from the cardiologist . Gut wrenching hard is a right word...
Old 10-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear, I've been there as well and it was very crushing for me and the family. Tough decision to make for sure. Lo siento.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM

I’ve been down this road many a time my friend. It’s one of the hardest decisions to make. It will be tough for a while, but you will get through it.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 PM

I feel your pain my friend , it is indeed gut wrenching. It seems we never have enough time. Good dogs always go too soon
Old 10-14-2019, 05:47 PM

That was one tough read. I’m truly sorry for what you’re going through right now. Wishing you and your family all the best at this time.

My girl is approaching 11 an I cherish every moment with her.

BW
Old 10-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Banned

I’m sport to hear this. We had to put one of ours down just a few weeks ago. We do have another at home but it still doesn’t ease the sorrow.

If he isn’t in pain or suffering, give him the best treatment he’s had. Our pups last meal was a bowl of ice cream that we hand fed him, just moments before the vet did their thing to end his suffering. Smiling and wagging his stub of a tail until his last heart beat.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 PM

So sorry to hear. Other than your Mom and Dad, it's one of the toughest things to go through based on many studies. A good dog or pet trusts, loves and looks up to you more than most humans. It's been a heartbreaking experience for me and my family more than once.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
This will sound horrible to most people. Let your friend go. Trust I know how hard it is. It is a major decision on you and your family. I have honestly been there a few times. I also know I have one sitting beside my feet that is close.
It will break your heart and tear you apart,But it's your best friend. You at least owe your friend that. To the people that think dogs are just dogs.
Bite my lilly red A... And yes I'm okay with an A.O. timeout for this one.
No timeouts for giving good advice.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
My heart aches for you and your family. I have been in pretty much the exact spot.

Our dogs are a member of the family. I have honestly had a harder time letting go of a good pet than I have some family members. You don't understand until you've been there.

Thoughts my friend.
Me too. Dogs are better than the vast majority of people.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog. It can be very tough and painfull. Had to shoot my 26 year old horse this spring that carried me through mountains sheep hunting, not easy!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:43 AM

I dread the day that I will be in your shoes.

Can't offer any better advice than what has already been given. Just had to post a note of support anyhow.

Take care.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Default I need to change the title of this thread!

Well guys, I think I’m starting to believe in miracles or the powers of good wishes and good energy! We picked up our dog from the clinic yesterday and he is home with us now! The cardiologist gave her final verdict. The dog has a very small tumour on his heart, but this is the best kind of tumour that is out there! Very slow growing and very rarely metastasizing. Wow! There haven’t been any more of the fluids build up in the heart sack since they drained it. Doc saying that she doesn’t think that it will be a problem but we still have to come and see them in a month. The pooch needs to be resting most of the time so no more doggy parks... But he is alive and with us!
The situation can change any time thou and we have to monitor the dog. So somebody have to be home pretty much all the time or be able to stop by every hour or two. That’s not a problem in our house since wife spends most of her time working from the house.
So we are all very thankful for that outcome. We will be taking it day by day thankful that we have what we have.
Thanks again to everybody who sincerely contributed to the pool of the good energy and the nothing less than a miraculous recovery of the little guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 781AECD8-81CC-4375-8246-D970F009A604.jpg (21.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg A37961E1-051F-4E2B-9805-9058CE5E3099.jpg (20.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Well guys, I think I’m starting to believe in miracles or the powers of good wishes and good energy! We picked up our dog from the clinic yesterday and he is home with us now! The cardiologist gave her final verdict. The dog has a very small tumour on his heart, but this is the best kind of tumour that is out there! Very slow growing and very rarely metastasizing. Wow! There haven’t been any more of the fluids build up in the heart sack since they drained it. Doc saying that she doesn’t think that it will be a problem but we still have to come and see them in a month. The pooch needs to be resting most of the time so no more doggy parks... But he is alive and with us!
The situation can change any time thou and we have to monitor the dog. So somebody have to be home pretty much all the time or be able to stop by every hour or two. That’s not a problem in our house since wife spends most of her time working from the house.
So we are all very thankful for that outcome. We will be taking it day by day thankful that we have what we have.
Thanks again to everybody who sincerely contributed to the pool of the good energy and the nothing less than a miraculous recovery of the little guy!
Great to hear some positive news for a change. Enjoy your time that you do have now.

Will be sure to spend some extra time with my pup today too....
Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 AM

What can I say?.... our happiness didn’t last long enough. We knew he was living on a borrowed time but didn’t expect it will end that soon. Our beloved boy decided to cross that rainbow bridge last night.
I fed him around 6pm and let him for a quick walk in a backyard, he came back, active and happy, asked for his favourite snack. We were leaving the house for a few hours to the friends bday party. Our daughter left the party at 9 and found him dead.... RIP my little buddy, you were an amazing loving dog with a huge heart. We miss you and we will always remember you.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM

So sorry bud.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Sorry to hear this. It is never easy to lose a pet.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM

So sorry for your loss. Like others, we too have been down this road a time or 2 and it is never easy. Seek solace knowing he had the best life he could have and a Family that cares for him deeply.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Our time has come

I am so sorry to hear this. I have 2 labs myself, and think more highly of them than most people I know. Good dogs should live for much longer than they do. Hang on to all the great memories you and your family had with him.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Crappy, my condolences. At least he came home happy and you all got one more day with him, away from the hospital and where he felt safe.

If you have a pet, you deal with this sooner or later. I'm sure almost all of us have been in your shoes more than once. It is the worst day and it comes to all of us who hold theses fur balls close to our hearts. Google Rainbow Bridge if you have not heard of it, my vet sent me it in a card when we did the deed for one of ours. Take care.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Sorry to hear abut your situation, we had a similar situation on New Years eve last year took my girl in after she collapsed on the stairs turns out her spleen ruptured. After emergency surgery found out it was cancerous. They said she'd most likely not make it past 2-5 months. We are going on 11.5 months now and she's still going strong, no pain or noticeable issues but heart breaking knowing at any time the cancer will take over and our time will be done

Cherish the time you have and hopefully you'll get some more valuable time out of a loved family member.

**Sorry I missed your next post