Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 PM

Default I know nothing about making sausage

...using a stuffer

Wife bought me a mixer and stuffer from Cabelas for Christmas!

We have always made sausage patties. It's not so much putting all the ingredients together but filling cases and such. I know I prefer larger cases because I don't care for the small breakfast sausage size. Thinking along the lines of the size that Italian sausage comes as.

Living in the Pass,not near any sausage supply stores, I'd like to buy casings on Amazon if I could. What size and type of casing would you recommend? Any supply stores in South AB?

Thanks people
Old 11-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Banned

I get all my goodies from Halford’s. They have great spice mixes and carry the casings. They do mail order as well.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 PM

I was in the same boat last year. Some things I learned is to add binder water till it flows smooth, buy the lamb casing for pepperoni over collagen it’s night and day difference, buy the casing on the plastic strips vs the whole knotted whole long works it not much more, allot twice as much time as you think and last but most important keep it everything ice cold. Oh ya summer sausage is the fastest as it has the biggest casing I would start with that if I had to do it over. Steven Rinellas recipe is the best I know of. I did 90 lbs the other weekend by myself was fun. Nothing quite like it. X2 on Halfords I have had better luck there then the other place as far as mixes and especially the casings tasted better I thought.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
...using a stuffer

We have always made sausage patties. It's not so much putting all the ingredients together but filling cases and such. I know I prefer larger cases because I don't care for the small breakfast sausage size. Thinking along the lines of the size that Italian sausage comes as.

Living in the Pass,not near any sausage supply stores, I'd like to buy casings on Amazon if I could. What size and type of casing would you recommend? Any supply stores in South AB?

Thanks people
Pork casing often in 2mm increments for the Italian Sausage size you are looking for is roughly 28-30mm or 30-32mm. But smaller and slightly larger natural pork casings are available.
Tubed casing is easiest as it is strung through it's center on plastic strips usually 16-20 lb capacity per strip. If not tubed the casing can and will knot and is the equivalent of untangling 50 strings of xmas lights if you are not careful.
So tubed is easier if new to working with casings. Natural casings are salted and will require flushing with water to hydrate, soften and remove salt before use.

Another alternative is Collagen casing and it is available in the bigger sizes which is super easy and really uniform, do not require refrigeration or salting, BUT the big problem is that they can NOT get wet or they will sluff off the finished sausage like a used condom.But they work ok if you are just going to stuff and smoke and bring to temp in the smoker. But will not tolerate poaching to bring them to temp. Common alternative to smaller diameter 18-20mm or 20-22mm sausage sticks/pepperoni-Slim Jims that normally would require expensive sheep casing in that small diameter

Online may well be a great alternative for you. Places like DnR in Calgary will ship to you as well. But Amazon Prime may be a cheaper alternative for you shipping wise

Last edited by omega50; 11-13-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 PM

I have a recipe that you can make 2 to 4 inch diameter salami/summer sausage logs that make their own "rind" as it is oven dried and finished. No casing needed. I can post the recipe if you're interested.

Ask your local butcher shop. They might have natural casings. Might have to go to Fernie.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-14-2019, 06:16 AM

High Caliber CTR in Calgary has a good selection. They ship and have 15 percent off for ihunter users, not sure if that's in store only or not though. 29/32 is the hog casing I'd use for Italian. I'm not a fan of the casings that come pre loaded onto the plastic, in my experience they stick to the horn and break a lot easier. The regular caddy comes a bit tangled but if you have a bit of patience shake and sift them with your finger tips while pulling the other end, this of course after soaking in warm water for 20 min or so. Sausage ***** is also super handy
Old 11-14-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Pork casing often in 2mm increments for the Italian Sausage size you are looking for is roughly 28-30mm or 30-32mm. But smaller and slightly larger natural pork casings are available.
Tubed casing is easiest as it is strung through it's center on plastic strips usually 16-20 lb capacity per strip. If not tubed the casing can and will knot and is the equivalent of untangling 50 strings of xmas lights if you are not careful.
So tubed is easier if new to working with casings. Natural casings are salted and will require flushing with water to hydrate, soften and remove salt before use.

Another alternative is Collagen casing and it is available in the bigger sizes which is super easy and really uniform, do not require refrigeration or salting, BUT the big problem is that they can NOT get wet or they will sluff off the finished sausage like a used condom.But they work ok if you are just going to stuff and smoke and bring to temp in the smoker. But will not tolerate poaching to bring them to temp. Common alternative to smaller diameter 18-20mm or 20-22mm sausage sticks/pepperoni-Slim Jims that normally would require expensive sheep casing in that small diameter

Online may well be a great alternative for you. Places like DnR in Calgary will ship to you as well. But Amazon Prime may be a cheaper alternative for you shipping wise
I have used the collagen[Black].Is a for a boiling/cooking ie Liver sausage.Most of my summer sausage is also done using collagen.You moisten the casing ,in a bowl of luke warm water.After it's pliable,.Stuff,knowing that the other end is knotted.You tube is your biggest fix.Loads of video on making sausage.Smoked or fresh.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I have used the collagen[Black].Is a for a boiling/cooking ie Liver sausage.Most of my summer sausage is also done using collagen.You moisten the casing ,in a bowl of luke warm water.After it's pliable,.Stuff,knowing that the other end is knotted.You tube is your biggest fix.Loads of video on making sausage.Smoked or fresh.
What you are using is not a standard collagen casing. Coated Fibrous casings are black or mahogany and can be pre-stuck. Pre-tied at one end-most widely used commercial casing in the world.

2 most common types of Non-Edible casings for Summer Sausage

Non Edible Collagen Casing
https://www.waltonsinc.com/casings-n...ngs-non-edible
Non Edible Fibrous Casing
https://www.waltonsinc.com/casings-n...ausage-casings
They are NON-EDIBLE.
I am referring to edible casings.

Lots of colors available in fibrous casings for Summer Sausage -Even Red Santa or Camo. These are not suitable for Italian sausage size or use.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/red-santa...ausage-casings

https://www.waltonsinc.com/camo-maho...sausage-casing

Last edited by omega50; 11-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Going to make some Mettwurst. first time I've encountered the terms " Showering and Blooming " Coops seem to carry casings, I've found.

Grizz
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM

High Caliber / CTR Refrigeration in Calgary is a great store. Everything you need.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Trapper View Post
. Sausage ***** is also super handy
Sausage prik. Apparently ***** isn't allowed. Anyhow it really helps getting the air pockets out, helping form nice tight casing with no air pockets that collect fat. Beats using needles or knives to try and poke them. Any questions feel free to pm.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Im getting the garage set up as we speak

Gonna be busy. Boys have 6 deer to process

Pork chub from Costco

Pork fat from T&T

Cabelas spices

Good grief.

Its not difficult. Just make a small amount, cook it up and try it. Add more spices, use less. Eventually you get the recipe you like. I crank up the pellet grill as we do it. Lots of sampling. Sometimes try it on a neighbor if they dare. Lol

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Trapper View Post
Sausage prik. Apparently ***** isn't allowed. Anyhow it really helps getting the air pockets out, helping form nice tight casing with no air pockets that collect fat. Beats using needles or knives to try and poke them. Any questions feel free to pm.
Sausage pri-kers are very useful! Can be used as a weapon in a pinch too
Old 11-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Going to make some Mettwurst. first time I've encountered the terms " Showering and Blooming " Coops seem to carry casings, I've found.

Grizz
showering generally refers to a cold water bath to stop the cooking process also reduces wrinkles in the end product. Blooming is letting the sausages dry out after smoking, they generally darken up nicely. I usually let mine bloom in the basement or garage overnight before vac sealing them.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
...using a stuffer

Thanks people
Go to Back Country or the butcher shop in Pincher. They'll have casings.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
Go to Back Country or the butcher shop in Pincher. They'll have casings.
If you ask at the co-op in Pincher, you can get casings there too.