Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Most people don't realize once one organ starts shutting down the rest follow.
When a person is being harvested each organ is looked at individually. Most people won't have every organ being viable. Except on long weekends. Then there are frequently lots of young people donating and frequently multiple organs can be acquired from one donor.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I don't think you guys get it, or will ever get it.
Who owns your organs, you or the government of Alberta?
And for the record, I'm not personally against donating or receiving.
Obviously you are in control of your body. If you choose not to help someone thats sick and dying that is your choice. Opt out.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Let’s make it work both ways...you opt out...then if you ever need a donated organ to save your life...too bloody bad pal, no way!
Seems only fair.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Baahhhhh….

How many here have made up their minds that they are for or against this and haven't even read the actual bill? Everyone?

Count me as one who hasn't, and won't.

I signed my donor card back in the Eighties and make sure it's in my wallet wherever I go. I may even get myself a tattoo to confirm it and I don't like tattoos.

I also don't like the government taking body parts that weren't given to them.

I bet the charter would have something to say about this that this government would not like.

I wonder how long it will be before they decide that we must all pay a percentage of our income to charity, unless we opt out of course.

Just because it's a good thing to do does not mean the government should force people to make a choice whether to support it or not.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 PM

I am against having to opt out. If my license is not signed and my family are aware of my wishes to not donate thats all it should take. I however will opt out if thats what i gotta do.

I have congestive heart failure (CHF) which is not repairable any other way than a transplant. But i have instructed my Doc. and Cardiologist to not place me on a transplant list. I dont like the idea to give or receive a transplant period.

I agree with others here that if you dont want to donate then you dont get to receive. And if you get sick or like me in need soon its to late, you dont get to change your mind.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Is that an issue, there is a problem with physician integrity?
Absolutely not. When assessing a patient for harvesting there are soooo many steps and people involved (including 2 physicians for brain death) that worrying about that kinda issue is just the stuff you read about in the national inquirer.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Obviously you are in control of your body. If you choose not to help someone thats sick and dying that is your choice. Opt out.
You contradict yourself with this statement.

And again, don't get me wrong, I fully support organ donation.
I definitely do not, however, believe the government should own a person's body without consent. For SO many reasons.
You guys that support this loss of control need to seriously assess the precedent you'd be setting.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Absolutely not. When assessing a patient for harvesting there are soooo many steps and people involved (including 2 physicians for brain death) that worrying about that kinda issue is just the stuff you read about in the national inquirer.
Yes, organ trafficking doesn't happen in this world...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/gazette...al-organ-trade

If they want to do anything with regards to organs, they should allow people to sell them along with blood as well. It would eliminate the need for organs almost over night.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 11-09-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Alberta moves toward 'opt out' organ donation system

The government by default shouldn’’t own your body after your death. That’’’s just wrong. What’’s next? What’s to stop them from “losing” your opt-out form? Especially if there’s a lot of money to be made on organ donation.

Not one for organ donation myself. Watched a horrifying documentary about organ donation in the US. Pressure on the physicians to get more donors and some unscrupulous physicians (money talks more than integrity sometimes). And apparently, once they determine that you’re brain dead (not sure how that’s determined), they harvest without anesthesia since it gives them a better organ for transplant. One big misconception is that you’re dead when they harvest. You’re not. They just don’t detect any brain activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 12:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRBlackLabel View Post
The government by default shouldn’’t own your body after your death. That’’’s just wrong. What’’s next? What’s to stop them from “losing” your opt-out form? Especially if there’s a lot of money to be made on organ donation.

Not one for organ donation myself. Watched a horrifying documentary about organ donation in the US. Pressure on the physicians to get more donors and some unscrupulous physicians (money talks more than integrity sometimes). And apparently, once they determine that you’re brain dead (not sure how that’s determined), they harvest without anesthesia since it gives them a better organ for transplant. One big misconception is that you’re dead when they harvest. You’re not. They just don’t detect any brain activity.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is what I have read, and heard on documentaries.
It seems that your organs start to deteriorate mere seconds after cynical death.

One documentary I watched even claimed hospitals sometime put brain dead patients on life support till their organs can be harvested.

I'm actually okay with that happening to me. The way I see it, I am willing to do whatever it takes to help another person in that regard.
I'm willing to take the chance that the doctors may make a mistake and start before all brain function has ceased.

I fully believe that when my time is up nothing anyone on this earth does will keep me here and before my time comes, no one can cut it short, deliberately or by accident.

Now maybe some would think that foolish. Okay.
I like it cause it leaves me a lot less to worry about.

To some faith is foolishness, to others it is life, and life more abundantly.

And that my friends is the foundation of my faith.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 11-10-2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Can you specify which organs are harvestable? ......I don't want to provide parts for some tranny's operation!!
Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
If it was a simple thing that they scoop out what they need and release your body to your family I'm all for it but I've heard of too many situations where a family member's body gets tied up for way too long (my grandpa for example) and either significantly delays or prevents a proper funeral.

If it passes I'll be signing my opt-out card.

Pretty sure that story of a body being sent to the military for explosives testing was out of the States but what's to say it wouldn't happen here?
until you have a child that needs a kidney and there aren't any, not funny when it impacts you directly. People have the choice, but we should help people in need of organs if we are gone any way. that's just my view, too many people are laying in bed sick taxing our health care because we have an organ shortage, not to mention the pain and suffering to the patient and their family watching them suffer.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

This is wrong. As others have said, the government should never own my body.

I will definitely opt out. I don't see positive value in donating organs. The human population is already too high and our the costs of our crappy public medical system are through the roof. Why spend millions more to keep a few extra people alive? Those people were probably not healthy or responsible to begin with and hence why their own organs failed. Or maybe they just got unlucky, but that's life.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Seems so appropriate on here to talk about the right to harvest valuable parts from an animal. Lucky all species don't get to opt out.

I'm not against being harvested, but there should be a payment to my family for my parts. We have to buy a tag, why shouldn't they have to pay my family for the tag? I am sure that $5000 is no big price tag in the big scope of an organ transplant. Funerals, caskets, cremations are expensive. I hate that my family will have to waste so much of my hard earned money on getting rid of my carcass. At the very least they should have to take all or nothing.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Good law. One of the few good things out of our provincial gov to date.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey2 View Post
This is wrong. As others have said, the government should never own my body.

I will definitely opt out. I don't see positive value in donating organs. The human population is already too high and our the costs of our crappy public medical system are through the roof. Why spend millions more to keep a few extra people alive? Those people were probably not healthy or responsible to begin with and hence why their own organs failed. Or maybe they just got unlucky, but that's life.
Wow what a bunch of crap. I can just see you are on death’s bed, and the doctor places a call to the government ( whoever that is, what bodies part should we harvest from this about to be dead dude). Get real, 1 you are dead, 2 you do not need your body anymore and there is someone who would benefit from let’s say, some skin ( burn victim) eyes etc and you are worried about helping someone. Just sick and hopefully one day when you need help or a family member etc you do not run into the same cold hearted attitude.
If you do not want to donate, just sign off simple as that.
Personally myself I have signed to donate, I will be cremated and ashes scattered no need for anytime when I am dead.