Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Exclamation "Guns From america"

If you are a canadian and have an american F.F.L,can you buy used\new guns on the internet from the states and bring them up to canada?.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Not without the proper permits.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
sheephunter

Canadians can get an FFL?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Default elaborate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not without the proper permits.
Hey thanks for the response,Do you know more in detail as to what these proper permits consist of? Does it take a long time for a firearm to clear customs at the border?? Anyone on here bought a rifle recentley from america and could add anything? I got this gun I want in north carolina and I got to move quick because it will sell quick.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Hey thanks for the response,Do you know more in detail as to what these proper permits consist of? Does it take a long time for a firearm to clear customs at the border?? Anyone on here bought a rifle recentley from america and could add anything? I got this gun I want in north carolina and I got to move quick because it will sell quick.
Call Clay at Prophet River Firearms in Lloyd. Cheapest and least amount of headaches. You cannot do it yourself. You need to work with an FFL in the U.S. to get the proper permits there. There is nothing to do in Canada but register it and pay the GST. I imported one in July. A lot of U.S. trees need to die and it takes several months.

I ask again...a Canadian can get an FFL?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...1110&NoCount=1
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Call Clay at Prophet River Firearms in Lloyd. Cheapest and least amount of headaches. You cannot do it yourself. You need to work with an FFL in the U.S. to get the proper permits there. There is nothing to do in Canada but register it and pay the GST. I imported one in July. A lot of U.S. trees need to die and it takes several months.

I ask again...a Canadian can get an FFL?
So It does take alot of time and paper work,that sucks but I was prepared for that.I actully did talk to clay the other day about importing a firearm,so I will go through him ,if he could make it work?.My dad just bought a cooper rifle off of him in a 280 ackley.Dad and I heard that prophhet river is the best in alberta,so we will deal with them now on!!! We sure get hammered uphere in canada on the price of guns.is just like how the cars in the states are cheaper.The rifle I want is a 240 wby mark v deluxe and you can get it with 5 times better wood and $700 cheaper down in america.Why do we get so financial punished up here compared to the states?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Why do we get so financial punished up here compared to the states?
Not always.The Coopers that I purchased from Clay cost me right around $2000,while they sold in the U.S.A for about $1700 at the same time.That is only about 15% difference,and the difference between the US dollar and the Canadian dollar was about the same 15% at that time.

As for Weatherby,you should be glad to pay a premium for owning a rifle with the Weatherby name stamped on the receiver.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Not always.The Coopers that I purchased from Clay cost me right around $2000,while they sold in the U.S.A for about $1700 at the same time.That is only about 15% difference,and the difference between the US dollar and the Canadian dollar was about the same 15% at that time.

As for Weatherby,you should be glad to pay a premium for owning a rifle with the Weatherby name stamped on the receiver.
Yaa the weatherby's are way over priced,however I Want the 240 wby mag,and weatherby only makes rifles in that cartridge.my other option is a custom 6mm-06,but I dont feel like going that route this time.Those cooper rifles are great rifles for the price.my dad paid the same as you,around 2 grand and the wood on this rifle has awesome grain.however I dont know if i'm crazy about the 280 ackley cartridge.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Yaa the weatherby's are way over priced,however I Want the 240 wby mag,and weatherby only makes rifles in that cartridge.
It is no big deal to have a rifle rebarreled in 240wby.You could have a better rifle,with your choice of barrel length and contour,for the same or less money than a Mark V.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It is no big deal to have a rifle rebarreled in 240wby.You could have a better rifle,with your choice of barrel length and contour,for the same or less money than a Mark V.
And what would be a 'better' rifle?

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yaa the weatherby's are way over priced,however I Want the 240 wby mag,and weatherby only makes rifles in that cartridge.my other option is a custom 6mm-06,but I dont feel like going that route this time.Those cooper rifles are great rifles for the price.my dad paid the same as you,around 2 grand and the wood on this rifle has awesome grain.however I dont know if i'm crazy about the 280 ackley cartridge.
Ty,
The 280 AI is a great little round. If I could have another rifle, it would for sure be chambered in that. Very close to a 7 rem mag with out being belted and with less powder. Your old man will love that thing!!

Mike
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
And what would be a 'better' rifle?
A rifle with a trued action,lapped bolt lugs,a premium aftermarket barrel,chambered,installed,and bedded into a Mcmillan stock by a gunsmith that takes pride in his work.A new Mark V deluxe runs around $1900 in Canada,and for that price you could have the rifle described above.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
A rifle with a trued action,lapped bolt lugs,a premium aftermarket barrel,chambered,installed,and bedded into a Mcmillan stock by a gunsmith that takes pride in his work.A new Mark V deluxe runs around $1900 in Canada,and for that price you could have the rifle described above.
$1900.00 AAhhh,I wish,more like $2410.00 at wholesale sports in calgary.Elk hunter have you seen a deluxe weatherby for $1900 any where recentley??? If so where??? I'd buy a brand new 240wby for $1900 right now.You know maybe i'll just wait and buy a cooper rifle from prophet river in a .243 win.I've been told that cooper is coming out with a repeater in a .243 next year,and them guns garantee 1\2" with 5 shots a 100yards.Weatherbys were built for velocity and not accuracy.I just have to decide which I want more?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
AAhhh,I wish,more like $2410.00 at wholesale sports in calgary
I was just going by my catalog,obviously the Weatherby Mark V is even more of a rip off now than before.For over $2400,you could have the rifle I described and have a good deal left to put towards a scope.

Quote:
I've been told that cooper is coming out with a repeater in a .243 next year,and them guns garantee 1\2" with 5 shots a 100yards.
Actually the Cooper accuracy guarantee is 3 shots in 1/2" at 100 yards for their centerfires.

Quote:
Weatherbys were built for velocity and not accuracy.I just have to decide which I want more?
Which is more important to you,proper bullet placement,or energy?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-20-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking your described gun will have a Remington action? Thats kinda like putting lipstick on a pig, isn't it? I have shot a lot of factory guns and my Weatherby's are by far the best out of the box, for accuracy, and quality. I know many will disagree but thats my opinion. As for custom I think its whatever you want and the sky's the limit.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
I'm thinking your described gun will have a Remington action? Thats kinda like putting lipstick on a pig, isn't it? I have shot a lot of factory guns and my Weatherby's are by far the best out of the box, for accuracy, and quality. I know many will disagree but thats my opinion. As for custom I think its whatever you want and the sky's the limit.
I have a Mark v deluxe 300 wby Mag that was handed down to me from my uncle, before he passed away and it shoots under an inch with 5 shots @ 100 yards with a 180 grain nosler bullet.The rifle was made in Germany,so I Think that probabley has something to do with the great accuracy.

I do agree with elk hunter,that $2400 is way over priced.and there's alot of options I could go with for $2400.Its to bad that finding a good used 240 wby is almost impossible to find.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking your described gun will have a Remington action? Thats kinda like putting lipstick on a pig, isn't it?
We don't need to hear about your fantasies.
I buy a gun to shoot,not to look at.I am not impressed by fancy wood or by engraving,but rather by a rifle that will continually put the bullet where it needs to be under all conditions.I have owned two Mark V rifles,and I wasn't impressed by either.

Quote:
I have shot a lot of factory guns and my Weatherby's are by far the best out of the box, for accuracy, and quality.
You really should look at a Cooper,the fit and finish are first rate,and there is a very good reason that their accuracy guarantee is three times as good as that of the Weatherby Mark V.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Weatherbys were built for velocity and not accuracy.I just have to decide which I want more?
I had a Remington rebarrelled to a 270 weatherby-best of both worlds
Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM

I have looked at cooper but not handled them. A few of their guns look gook to me.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
A few of their guns look gook to me.