Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Default "Boxing week" at Wolverine?

Curious if anyone knows of any "Boxing week" sales on firearms going on at Wolverine in Red Deer? Wondering if it would be worth a drive in.

Got some gift cards for Xmas and they arent open boxing day.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 10:45 PM

I was there briefly today. Only gun deal I remember seeing was the Howa 1500's with a scope package on for $999. Good rifles - probably not so much the scopes.

I'm sure there were other deals that I didn't notice. I was looking for something specific, checked and left pretty quick.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Darn. They've had that Howa deal on for a while now. I remember boxing week a couple years ago was 20% off I believe

Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 PM

Betting Sportsman's Den, sponsor here will beat them hands down.

Grizz
Old 12-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Sportsmans den is my go-to 90% of the time. But I'm not sure if they do the boxing week thing, and like I said, I accumulated gift cards this year.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
X2
Wolverine needs to drop there prices on somethings.
I used to stop and buy a few things there but don't even bother stopping anymore.
Have bought a few guns and scopes off Dale and he is great to deal with.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
x2 drove few times and tried hard to do some shopping,but there prices are hard on the wallet,no more.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
X2
Wolverine needs to drop there prices on somethings.
I used to stop and buy a few things there but don't even bother stopping anymore.
Have bought a few guns and scopes off Dale and he is great to deal with.
Yup wolverine has lost my business over their gouging some stuff is just outragous
Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM

A deal at Wolverine? I've yet to see one!

A few years ago I went to buy some nosler custom .270 Win, 130 grain. They had a price of $100.00 per box. Ridiculous! I flat out told them I would drive to Edmonton or Calgary and buy them there before I would ever give them my business again.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:06 PM

Default Crazy

Their prices are so ridiculous that even when they put stuff on sale it's still higher than other places. The worst is when you tell them how high their prices are, ask them to match another store and they laugh at you and tell you to go buy it there. So I did. Saved $240 on a shotgun. They obviously don't care.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 PM

I haven't noticed the price's as much but their service has also been terrible. I've been in there with money burning a hole in pocket to buy a rifle and couldn't get any help...so I left and spent it at wholesale in Calgary.

Another time I had a bow re strung there, I'm not 100% sure but I think they put too short of a string on it and now it can't be set below 70lbs and the y'd area of the string is rubbing on the cam. No one there was able to help figure out what was going on with it as it's an older bow and not in there books...basically rendered the bow useless as I'm not brave enough to keep firing it and not worth the money to fix it again.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 PM

I just about had a accident in my pants when I took some 7mm Bergers to the counter and they wanted around $110.I told them I didn't like the price and to put them back and the other things I was going to buy and walked out.
Thought it must have bin a pricing mistake but was in there about 6 months later and the price was still the same.
They do have a good selection of reloading stuff but most of it is 1/3 or higher than anywhere else.
Don't get me started on the staff.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:01 PM

I tried to spend $1000 between both Red Deer stores this holiday season and ended up not spending a nickel. Bought one item at CT and ended up ordering the rest from Cabelas.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:49 PM

Yah the prices there are most definitely high
Old 12-30-2016, 10:07 PM

I always buy from Wolverine and Sportsmans Den

No one is more community minded than Jamie

And Dale is the long standing champ of local business in Red Deer

Two great stores and we are blessed to have them. JMHO
Old 12-31-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
I always buy from Wolverine and Sportsmans Den

No one is more community minded than Jamie

And Dale is the long standing champ of local business in Red Deer

Two great stores and we are blessed to have them. JMHO
Nice to hear - any comment on how you find their prices compared with other retailers?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 PM

haven't seen much for deals at wolverine. looked at a used rifle there a year ago they wanted $200 more than cabelas sale price and they wouldn't give any warranty or budge on price. sportsmens den is better for buying guns and a lot easier to deal with in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Nice to hear - any comment on how you find their prices compared with other retailers?
Prices are not always what I may like but I am not spending on gas and I am dealing with local business men I would hate to lose them in our community
Old 01-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
Curious if anyone knows of any "Boxing week" sales on firearms going on at Wolverine in Red Deer? Wondering if it would be worth a drive in.

Even on sale your still paying top dollar. I always wondered how that place stays in business, high prices and new staff every 6 months.

Younger crowd must keep that place going. Reminds me of this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=counter

Another high five for the Sportsmen Den. Lots of selection and there prices are a tad better. Dale can even be talked into giving you a better deal on some ammo
Old 01-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Prices are not always what I may like but I am not spending on gas and I am dealing with local business men I would hate to lose them in our community
I dont spend money on gas either order bergers from prophet river to my door $30 cheaper even with shipping there is paying a bit more to shoo local then there is gouging cant support people who stick it to you like that
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 PM

HE has an 8 bore double barrel for sale on CGN 20,000 for one of his toys,needs to sell to repair or buy a piece of farm equipment .If the gun don't go, don't wait for a sale.Sends out a good signal when your nailing everyone with high prices and your buying high items,one of his many high ends,nothing wrong with doing well,but you have show that you care for your from those who put you there and have supported your business.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
I dont spend money on gas either order bergers from prophet river to my door $30 cheaper even with shipping there is paying a bit more to shoo local then there is gouging cant support people who stick it to you like that
Free shipping right to the door, didn't even have to start the truck up. The only gas I wasted was driving to RD to put the effort in on two attempts to support the locals.

Cabelas employs lots of people in the Provence and have spent thousands locally in construction and advertising. I appreciate them being here and hope they do well.

I would prefer to deal locally and don't mind paying 10 or even 20% more if the service is good. When the service is not there and the prices are outrageous I just cant do it. I foresee a big box store in Red Deer in the next few years and these guys should take this opportunity to adjust their practises accordingly. Red Deer draws from a very large area and would easily support a Cabelas although it may not look like it on paper. The Costco in Red Deer is always busier than the ones in the big cities I have visited.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Wolverine

I really like the store and staff , service etc.. Prices are in line for a local private business .. Some will complain about prices no matter what the store , Cabela's , Bass Pro or Wholesale ... Wolverine is local and I'd rather my money stay here .... good on them.. I also support sportsman's Den ....
Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
I really like the store and staff , service etc.. Prices are in line for a local private business .. Some will complain about prices no matter what the store , Cabela's , Bass Pro or Wholesale ... Wolverine is local and I'd rather my money stay here .... good on them.. I also support sportsman's Den ....
That's awesome, did you get those Swarovski you went to Bass Pro for last week?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I tried to spend $1000 between both Red Deer stores this holiday season and ended up not spending a nickel. Bought one item at CT and ended up ordering the rest from Cabelas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
That's awesome, did you get those Swarovski you went to Bass Pro for last week?
got em locally ... lol... I didn't take home every pair out of RD to try and return and then go to Cabela's
Old 01-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I was there briefly today. Only gun deal I remember seeing was the Howa 1500's with a scope package on for $999. Good rifles - probably not so much the scopes.

I'm sure there were other deals that I didn't notice. I was looking for something specific, checked and left pretty quick.
A Howa 1500 for $999.00 in my opinion is hardly a deal. I bought one recently from Flys Etc. in High River for much less than that. And Udo gave me an additional $50,00 discount because the wood stock had a minor ding which is hardly noticeable unless you look for it. As far as being a package deal due to the scope, I put zero value on cheap junky optics.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 PM

I find certain things on for great deals at both stores. The most important part is being an informed shopper and knowing what fair and reasonable pricing should be.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
got em locally ... lol... I didn't take home every pair out of RD to try and return and then go to Cabela's
I bought mine at Canadian Tire, RD. I tried to buy them at a local but after standing at the counter for nearly an hour with hardly a soul in the store, I decided to mossy along.

I hope you know I was just kidding with you. I give the local shops every opportunity and have spent thousands at both stores. I also let them know the prices I can get the same product for and if they come close I deal with them.

I don't have money to throw away and being in sales I understand my customers expect a fair deal and good service as well. If we don't provide that, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

Wolverine never has what I'm looking for and don't even bother going there to check anymore. Sportsmens den or cabelas has become my go to.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Default we need

A properly run WSS.The Calgary store is a prime example of how not to run a business.If you pay peanuts......you get monkeys.Why UFA pulled the plug on hunting and reloading products escapes me? Bass Pro has higher prices than Cabelas[now same company] and nothing in stock.Wolverine is full of empty promises and excuses.The more people in earshot the more they can do for you until months have passed and you still have nothing.Back Country went belly up for a reason.Sportsman Den is much better priced and at least doesn't feed you a line.Midway USA with all the US stocked items would be ideal.Not happening any time soon.