Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default "Darn Hawke Scope"

Those words were nice to hear from a fellow that has become a good friend over the last few years. He has been a "dyed in the wool" Leup fan and has been running 222 Rem's, 22PPC's, 22 BR's and 6mm PPC's in the gopher patch for years. I had a 20 EXTREME built for him on a Rem XR-100 with a Pac Nor Super Match barrel and suggested that he mount a Hawke Endurance 30 IRSF with the Long Range dot reticle in 4-16X50 He did not have much use for variable power scopes as well. Him and his wife just got home from a gopher shoot where his wife was shooting the EXTREME and a 222 Rem with a Leupold FX2 AO in fixed 16X. They found the clarity, field of vision and focus so much better that they were amazed by the $500.00 scope. As well they found that they did not need the hash marks on the reticle as placing the dot on a gophers head, at 300 yards, was all that was required with the 32 BK bullet at about 4000 fps. His wife was determined that he replace the Leup with another Hawke Scope and he has one on order through RPS International.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 PM

I'm running a 5.5-20 Sidewinder on my air rifle. Been really happy with it thus far. No firsthand use on a centi but it they do have decent glass for the money so it would seem.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:39 PM

I've got one on my 17 hmr, works good.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 PM

Default Where is the best lace to buy a hawke scope?

Any recommendations for Best prices and service?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustine View Post
Any recommendations for Best prices and service?

Thanks
I've a 3-9 Airmax on my magnum air rifle (meaning lots of the 2 way recoil that kills scope) that is now 7 or 8 years old and has seen thousands of rounds.
A 4-16 Tactical Sidewinder on my .22WMR...again thousands of rounds and no issues....sharp, good solid turrets and as good as anything out there under a grande in my opinion.
Lastly a Red Dot on my AR.
I'm a huge Hawke Fan
Best prices I've found in Canada https://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Hawke/
They have great service and they are pricing is such that even with shipping they are cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I've a 3-9 Airmax on my magnum air rifle (meaning lots of the 2 way recoil that kills scope) that is now 7 or 8 years old and has seen thousands of rounds.
A 4-16 Tactical Sidewinder on my .22WMR...again thousands of rounds and no issues....sharp, good solid turrets and as good as anything out there under a grande in my opinion.
I'm a huge Hawke Fan
They have great service and they are pricing is such that even with shipping they are cheaper than anywhere else.
I have the same scope coming for an Air Arms that I have on order, hopefully mine holds up over time. Airgunsource has it on for the same price as D&L.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm a huge Hawke Fan
If your looking for another great source for Airgun optics and accessories, check out Specialty Shooting Sports . I have purchased a number of Air Rifles/scopes. They also carry Hawkes , which I have own and have zero problems . Good luck
https://www.specialtyshootingsportso...ics/hawke.html
Old 04-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

I realize there are other good dealers, but I've been dealing with D&L for about 10 years now...and thousands of dollars
This story is typical of the service I've received.
A few years back I competed in 10m air pistol. The pistol I used all of a sudden quite holding pressure and I had an important event that weekend (it was a Wednesday).
I called Wednesday afternoon and spoke to John, there service tech. I figured that if I overnighted it that possibly he could get it fixed and back to me for Saturday morning.
Instead he spent an hour on the phone with me, walking me through the teardown (he was pretty sure he knew what the problem was), the fix and putting it all back together.
It worked perfectly.
It wasn't a warranty issue, so I figure he saved me an hours labor and the overnight Purolator charges both ways...at least $150 or so.
At a minimum of an hour (for labor) he was out $100 that he could have had in their till...yet he still spent the hour with me...at no charge...on the phone.
If you check places like 'Canadian Airgun Forum' you won't find anyone that has a bad thing to say about them.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I realize there are other good dealers, but I've been dealing with D&L for about 10 years now...and thousands of dollars
This story is typical of the service I've received.
A few years back I competed in 10m air pistol. The pistol I used all of a sudden quite holding pressure and I had an important event that weekend (it was a Wednesday).
I called Wednesday afternoon and spoke to John, there service tech. I figured that if I overnighted it that possibly he could get it fixed and back to me for Saturday morning.
Instead he spent an hour on the phone with me, walking me through the teardown (he was pretty sure he knew what the problem was), the fix and putting it all back together.
It worked perfectly.
It wasn't a warranty issue, so I figure he saved me an hours labor and the overnight Purolator charges both ways...at least $150 or so.
At a minimum of an hour (for labor) he was out $100 that he could have had in their till...yet he still spent the hour with me...at no charge...on the phone.
If you check places like 'Canadian Airgun Forum' you won't find anyone that has a bad thing to say about them.
I was actually going to make a purchase from D&L but they didn't have the gun that I wanted in stock, but they were supposed to have it in stock the following week. Two weeks later they still hadn't called me, so I looked elsewhere, only to discover that there is an Air Arms dealer in Canada, and I decided to try an Air Arms, since I have heard so many good things about them. I will know shortly if I prefer Air Arms over Weihrauch and RWS.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was actually going to make a purchase from D&L but they didn't have the gun that I wanted in stock, but they were supposed to have it in stock the following week. Two weeks later they still hadn't called me, so I looked elsewhere, only to discover that there is an Air Arms dealer in Canada, and I decided to try an Air Arms, since I have heard so many good things about them. I will know shortly if I prefer Air Arms over Weihrauch and RWS.
Which Air Arms you talkin' 'bout (to quote Willis).
I've got a HW97 that I really like...but I've heard nothing but good about the Air Arms TX200. Not into air guns as much as I used to be...but the TX200 is one I think I could be persuaded to purchase.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Which Air Arms you talkin' 'bout (to quote Willis).
I've got a HW97 that I really like...but I've heard nothing but good about the Air Arms TX200. Not into air guns as much as I used to be...but the TX200 is one I think I could be persuaded to purchase.
I am getting a .22caliber Air Arms TX200MKIII. I had a blue laminate.177 HW97 several years ago that I sold to Fasteel. It had a Maccarri kit and aftermarket seal, and it was very accurate. I didn't have a use for an air rifle for several years, but now I have both a pigeon problem, and a ground squirrel problem , in too close of a proximity to housing to feel comfortable using one of my rimfires.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am getting a .22caliber Air Arms TX200MKIII. I had a blue laminate.177 HW97 several years ago that I sold to Fasteel. It had a Maccarri kit and aftermarket seal, and it was very accurate. I didn't have a use for an air rifle for several years, but now I have both a pigeon problem, and a ground squirrel problem , in too close of a proximity to housing to feel comfortable using one of my rimfires.
Please let me know what you think when you've tried it.
My HW is .177cal. I really like it for plinking but am also thinking of the TX in .22 for small pest control.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:57 PM

Default Hawke's great

I run the same scope as the OP(Endurance 30 4-16x IRSF) on my Norc Archangel M14. Picked mine new when the dollar was great. I won't say how much, but it was a DEAL! lol
Except the cheapish scope caps, I can offer nothing but praise for it. A bud of mine also bought the 6-24, simply from my enthusiasm. Hawke's shouldn't be overlooked for anyone looking for a new optic.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Please let me know what you think when you've tried it.
My HW is .177cal. I really like it for plinking but am also thinking of the TX in .22 for small pest control.
Thanks in advance.
The Air Arms showed up today. It appears to be well made, the trigger is decent, it is fairly quiet, and it felt smooth to shoot for the very few shots that I fired. I had limited room to shoot, so I put a piece of 1/2" plywood on a 6" post, picked a knot in the wood, and from 20 yards, the first shot struck slightly high. The second shot struck 1/4" from the first, and the third shot between the two. I was using JSB Jumbo pellets, and they all passed through the 1/2" plywood into the post. I didn't have a rest handy, so I rested my hand off of the corner of a set of steps, and rested the gun on my hand. The gun cocked smooth, but it was a bit awkward to close the action after loading a pellet. You have to push a lever on the side to release the cover, which is locked in place so that your fingers can't get caught by accident. This will likely just take some getting used to. As for the Airmax scope, the reticle is very fine, okay for bright conditions, but it could be a pain in low light. I hope to shoot it more soon, and I will see how it does once it's broke in.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
The Air Arms showed up today. It appears to be well made, the trigger is decent, it is fairly quiet, and it felt smooth to shoot for the very few shots that I fired. I had limited room to shoot, so I put a piece of 1/2" plywood on a 6" post, picked a knot in the wood, and from 20 yards, the first shot struck slightly high. The second shot struck 1/4" from the first, and the third shot between the two. I was using JSB Jumbo pellets, and they all passed through the 1/2" plywood into the post. I didn't have a rest handy, so I rested my hand off of the corner of a set of steps, and rested the gun on my hand. The gun cocked smooth, but it was a bit awkward to close the action after loading a pellet. You have to push a lever on the side to release the cover, which is locked in place so that your fingers can't get caught by accident. This will likely just take some getting used to. As for the Airmax scope, the reticle is very fine, okay for bright conditions, but it could be a pain in low light. I hope to shoot it more soon, and I will see how it does once it's broke in.
Thanks for the update.
I'm pretty sure this is going to be a purchase later this spring.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:35 PM

I have one that came on a Diana, nice scope, didn't realize it is this good. Score!