Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Default "Natural" Methods For Coloring Black Sights?

Last week I installed a HiViz fiber optic front sight on my Ruger GP100. It's definitely easier to acquire than the factory black ramp, but I don't think it meets my durability standards.

So last night I tried painting the ramp of my Single Six with orange nail polish. Actually turned out pretty good and I'm going to shoot it this weekend. And nail polish is one of those things that will be kicking around 50 years after the world ends, so it might meet my expectations.

But since I like acquiring tips and tricks, I'm wondering what some of you old hunters have done over the years. I guess in a pinch I could smear some mud on the front sight. Maybe not ideal, but better than nothing. Whatcha got?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM

When I used to shoot police combat the universal method of making your front sight the most visible was with the use of a carbide lamp. The black smoke generated by the lamp held a few inches from the front sight coated the sight a flat black making it the easiest to see both indoors and outside. It was easy to clean off after the match when you cleaned your gun.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Green nail polish on the rear ghost ring and white on the front post...

Works excellent on a combat shotgun....
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Cool

Liquid paper . May wear off in time but easy to repaint. Just a dab I'l do Ya.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM

In a pinch I've smoked sights with a couple matches.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Regarding durability....................

Being a handgun, we are talking about an item that spends it's life in a locked case even during transport. It only sees the light of day at a range. If you can damage the fiber optics on the range, you might want to reconsider your firearm handling technique. Unless opening the locked case with a sledge hammer or violating range protocal and safety standards I think your fiber optics are probably fine.

Reading some of the posts on here lately makes me wonder if mall ninjas and video game tacticoooolers have taken over the world.

Police, RCMP, and our Military are the only people in OUR country that HAVE TO not GET TO use Handguns in life and death situations where equipment frailness could prove dangerous. I praise God that THEY are willing to do so on our behalf. I personally think we need a bit of a reality check when it comes to our perception of ourselves!!!!!

Sorry, rant over!!

Feel free to carry on and flame away!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Caster View Post

Being a handgun, we are talking about an item that spends it's life in a locked case even during transport. It only sees the light of day at a range. If you can damage the fiber optics on the range, you might want to reconsider your firearm handling technique. Unless opening the locked case with a sledge hammer or violating range protocal and safety standards I think your fiber optics are probably fine.

Reading some of the posts on here lately makes me wonder if mall ninjas and video game tacticoooolers have taken over the world.

Police, RCMP, and our Military are the only people in OUR country that HAVE TO not GET TO use Handguns in life and death situations where equipment frailness could prove dangerous. I praise God that THEY are willing to do so on our behalf. I personally think we need a bit of a reality check when it comes to our perception of ourselves!!!!!

Sorry, rant over!!

Trappers and people working in remote areas can with a lot of paper work can get ATC's and legally pack I know two people that have it and am working on mine and there durability would be an issue its not quite as black and white a post as you may think for some.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

There is probably no one as picky as this guy when it comes to durability. Especially on a rifle that will be used on dangerous game. Check out the close up of the front sight.

http://echolsrifles.com/#/legendRifles.html

-Billy Molls
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Caster View Post

Sorry, rant over!!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I might not run into a "practical use" for guns in my lifetime but the gun is going to live on after I'm dead. If my descendants ever need to open "Crazy Old Granddad's" gun safe then I want the gun to serve them well.

And anyway, I take a practical view of most things. Becoming a champion shooter wouldn't mean much to me if I was standing around with a dumb look on my face, and a gun locked in the range safe, when something actually happened.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There is probably no one as picky as this guy when it comes to durability. Especially on a rifle that will be used on dangerous game. Check out the close up of the front sight.

http://echolsrifles.com/#/legendRifles.html
Took a few minutes to find what you were looking at, but yeah! That's sweet.