Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Default "ATC" for Restricted Firearms

Article of interest to some

The topic of ATC (Authorization To Carry) permits has recently begun to rise in popularity among legal firearm owners here in Canada. Contrary to the popular belief of many Canadians, gun owners and non-gun owners alike, there is in fact a permit available to the general public allowing them to carry a concealed firearm for the purpose of self-defense.

The reason you don’t see this happening in Canada is that the government has given the authority to issue these permits at the discretion of the Provincial CFOs. (Chief Firearms Officer) So, not only does the criteria need to be met, the CFO must also feel that it is in your best interest to have such a permit. Suffice it to say, the CFOs have gotten together and agreed to not issue these permits if at all possible.

Recently, an FOI (Freedom Of Information) request was issued to the Government of Ontario to request the number of ATCs that have been issued in that province. With a population just shy of 13 million people, and grand total of 13 ATCs have been issued. You can probably bet that these people are not ordinary Joe Blow citizens whose lives are in danger, rather these are more than likely high ranking government officials who have enough influence to determine the career path of the CFO to which the application was presented.

Lets look at the three general criteria that have been put in place:

-the life of the applicant must be in imminent danger

-police protection is not sufficient in the circumstances

-the individual has successfully completed training in firearms proficiency

Well right away there is a problem. What exactly does in mean to be in “imminent danger”? By definition, “imminent” means “ready to take place”. So must we then wait until we are being chased down a dark alley by a group of thugs intent on beating us to death before we submit our application? I offer this thought; we are all in constant imminent danger as we will never know when we are about to be attacked until it is too late. The CFO does not see it this way however and will use this as his first excuse not to issue the permit.

Lets move on to the second requirement: police protection is not sufficient. Well that’s an understatement in itself. There is no possible way that the police can protect us at all times. The government would have you believe that they can and, more importantly, that they do, but the reality is that they cannot and they certainly do not.

Take a home invasion as an example. A crack-head thug has broken into your home just after you have gone to bed. You call 911 as soon as you hear the front door splinter. Now, what I’d like you to do, is go to your front door and pretend that you are the thug. (extra points for screaming like a lunatic and scaring your cat into a fuzzball) Time yourself as you run up the stairs, or down the hall or to where it is that your bedroom is located, pretend to bust down the door and then pretend to stab the stuffing out of your pillow. The pillow in this case is actually you seeing as you probably can’t play both roles without some sort of clone. Your wife or roommate would also make a good stand in, but they might move out if you don’t give them advance warning.

So, how did you do? I’m guessing you accomplished this in less than a minute. Now imagine calling 911. You relay what is happening to the operator, they call the local police for you and they dispatch a car. How long do you figure that it going to take? Probably a lot longer than a minute. Of course, with this scenario, you are at home and hopefully you have fairly quick access to some sort of improvised weapon, better yet a firearm (that is legally stored of course) that you can use to defend your life and the lives of your family. Just imagine that you are walking back to your car with your significant other in the middle of the almost deserted movie theatre parking long after the sun has set. You are approached by three or four scary looking guys who are intent on a little action. What do you do then? Well, since you live in Canada, all you can do is call 911 on your cell and hope for the best. Chances are though, you’ll end up as a chalk outline and the headline in the next day’s paper.

The last criteria seems to be the easiest to comply with: successfully complete training in firearms proficiency. Actually, this is easier said than done. As far as I can tell, with the exception of armoured car services, no one offers this sort of training in Canada and there isn’t really even an outline that is to be followed.

So, what can you as a concerned citizen do about this? Well for starters, you can join the Canadian Association for Self Defense at casd.ca. You can write your Member of Parliament to convey your displeasure in the fact that the CFOs have the authority to issue these permits at their discretion. You can get your friends and family involved and spread the word that we are no longer going to let the government decide who or what is more valuable. As it stands right now, your money is more valuable than your life. Why else do Armoured guards get to carry guns? Let’s band together and tell our government to get their priorities straight.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 AM

Let’s band together and tell our government to get their priorities straight.[/QUOTE]

Good luck! You're gonna need it!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Let’s band together and tell our government to get their priorities straight.
Good luck! You're gonna need it! [/QUOTE]

Exactly
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM

I know two people in alberta with an ATC and they are issued to carry in a certain area for selfdefence from animals as they work in the bush and they CANNOT conceal them they must be carried in plain veiw.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Here's one group of people I'd support ATC's for: Abused spouses who have threatening/psycho mates and gotten restraining orders. The Police can never help these people. Give them guns and tell 'em to fire away of the offending spouse gets within ten feet.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Here's one group of people I'd support ATC's for: Abused spouses who have threatening/psycho mates and gotten restraining orders. The Police can never help these people. Give them guns and tell 'em to fire away of the offending spouse gets within ten feet.
That's a good start Oko.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM

What we need to do is get a really pro-gun CFO. I believe the problem is that the CFO is always someone who is wary of firearms in general.

Not being allowed to carry arms is ridiculous in this day and age. The states have SIGNIFICANTLY relaxed restrictions and their crime rate hasn't risen.

I don't think it's going to happen, though, most Canadians are against the idea. And unfortunately, that includes some "non-restricted firearms" enthusiasts.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Not being allowed to carry arms is ridiculous in this day and age. The states have SIGNIFICANTLY relaxed restrictions and their crime rate hasn't risen.

I don't think it's going to happen, though, most Canadians are against the idea. And unfortunately, that includes some "non-restricted firearms" enthusiasts.
And yet people still criticise the USA for their gun laws. The greatest thing I like about CCW permits is that you never know who has one. Sometimes I carry Sometimes I don't, you never know if,when, what or where.... Makes people think twice cause who knows what they got. The only reason the Crime Rate is so much higher in the US is because there is 330 some million people living there.

Canadas self defence laws are one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. When my wife was goign to school in Lethbridge I asked Lethbridge PD what I could get my wife for self defence. They told me to get one of those mini baseball bats. What a friggen joke!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
And yet people still criticise the USA for their gun laws. The greatest thing I like about CCW permits is that you never know who has one. Sometimes I carry Sometimes I don't, you never know if,when, what or where.... Makes people think twice cause who knows what they got. The only reason the Crime Rate is so much higher in the US is because there is 330 some million people living there.

Canadas self defence laws are one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. When my wife was goign to school in Lethbridge I asked Lethbridge PD what I could get my wife for self defence. They told me to get one of those mini baseball bats. What a friggen joke!
The US also has a lot more poor people and illegal immigrants, plus the cartels over the border.

The Criminal Code provision that makes it illegal to carry a concealed weapon is especially annoying.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

You see many rigs working down in Montana? I may have to move there as well. Hope your economy turns around.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Exactly
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM

We need a CFO like this guy: http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...CLES/111039954
Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
That makes perfect sense, relatively easy to get the permit unless you are a criminal, thats the way it should be. They always release these warnings when some creep is being released from prison and is highly likely to re-offend, but nobody is allowed to defend themselves here, what a croc. If some creep attacked my wife or daughter, I would wish she had the option to put a hole or two in him!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
That's the U.S.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
I know two people in alberta with an ATC and they are issued to carry in a certain area for selfdefence from animals as they work in the bush and they CANNOT conceal them they must be carried in plain veiw.
Different ATC these are for remote area open carry the ATC referred to in the article is for concealed carry and is commonly referred to as a type 3 ATC.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I think your higher crime rate has more to do with some serious social issues in your country and not the amount of people there.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
The only reason the Crime Rate is so much higher in the US is because there is 330 some million people living there.
As a policeman you should know crime rates are quoted in terms of incidents per 100,000 of population. The size of the city, state/province, or country makes absolutely no difference. So the US as a whole really is a more violent place than Canada, where you are more likely to be murdered.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
You see many rigs working down in Montana? I may have to move there as well. Hope your economy turns around.
Not so much Montana. now if you go to NoDak there are loads of rigs over there. In fact last time I tried to book a Hotel in Minot they wouldn't even consider you unles you booked a minimum of 75 days. Bismark, Minot, Williston that whole area is really moving!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

x2 and very well said.Its pretty sad when citizens cant defend thier life or property without bieng charged.I also agree with the ccw as it is where you are.The fact that there are 33 million people in the US is to often forgotten when people are criticising your gun laws.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
Different ATC these are for remote area open carry the ATC referred to in the article is for concealed carry and is commonly referred to as a type 3 ATC.
Thanks I was unaware there was different ones.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Not so much Montana. now if you go to NoDak there are loads of rigs over there. In fact last time I tried to book a Hotel in Minot they wouldn't even consider you unles you booked a minimum of 75 days. Bismark, Minot, Williston that whole area is really moving!
Yeah just did a stretch in SW Manitoba, rather stay out of the floodplain, miss the mountains and the bush too much, love it where I am, only thing that would make it better is if I was able to pack the P220 when out and about.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
As a policeman you should know crime rates are quoted in terms of incidents per 100,000 of population. The size of the city, state/province, or country makes absolutely no difference. So the US as a whole really is a more violent place than Canada, where you are more likely to be murdered.
Do you have stats for both of these claims?

If so, can you post them please?