Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Default "New Winchester's"

Hello

I'm look at acquiring a "New Winchester" 1886 Short Rifle 45-70. I notice these guns are $1000 ++. So my question is are they worth *it? I don't mind spending money (ask my wife) on good quality. I also know they went out of business a few years back and are now making new guns. My question is are they good quality?*
Thanks for any info/input.*
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Winchesters new manufacture lever guns are coming out of Japan these days. One magazine I bought a few months back (Shooting Times I believe), had a review of one of Winchesters new .30-30's. The author had a vintage edition of the same model to compare it against. As with most gun articles, there wasn't much criticism, and with a Winchester lever gun the design's already very well proven so you're basically just reviewing the build quality anyways. The reported accuracy wasn't stellar by my standards, but entirely within the practical applications of the cartridge and in keeping with the rifles character.

The new Model 70's however, are coming out of the FN plant in Colombia, South Carolina.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Winchester did not go out of business. The people who own or pay Olin Corp. for the rights to the name closed down the old U S Repeating Arms Co. in New Haven Con. and now are having their guns built in the Miroku Factory in Japan, the FN factory in the US, a factory in Turkey and even a factory in the USSR. FN and Miroku seem to be good quality.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM

I picked up an 1886 short rifle last month and I am quite pleased with it. I only shoot cast bullets and it will out shoot both my Marlins. Only draw back is the rebounding hammer. I converted mine to a traditional half cock due to the fact you get the occasional light primer strike. The cressent buttplate is made to shoot offhand as it gets uncomfortable with stiff loads off the bench.
Fit and finish are exellent, trigger pull is crisp but on the heavy side. Mine breaks at 6 pounds.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 PM

I have a 92 32-20 Takedown Japanese Winchester, i call it a Winoku to differentiate it from traditional guns. I am very happy. The fit and finish is much better than the original. I also own a pre-64 94 in great shape to compare it to.

Many traditionalists don't like the added tang safety and rebounding hammer. I like the safety and am removing the rebound feature.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Winchester did not go out of business. The people who own or pay Olin Corp. for the rights to the name closed down the old U S Repeating Arms Co. in New Haven Con. and now are having their guns built in the Miroku Factory in Japan, the FN factory in the US, a factory in Turkey and even a factory in the USSR. FN and Miroku seem to be good quality.
CR:

Was Miroku the same company that used to make the old 101's and 23?

If it is, Miroku put out some pretty good stuff.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

For more information:

http://browning.eu/miroku/homepage.php
Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM

personally I would look around and find a 1873 Winchester or uberti chambered in 45-90 or 45-60 or 45-70 before spending the money on a new Winchester made with Japanese metal
or a pedersoli model 86/71 in 45-70
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sche...n-classic.html

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 02-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the time and advice/info

My biggest concern is I don't wanna waste my hard earned money on an inferior product (crap) nobody does. If the rifles are good quality, will last and shoot well I will pay.

So.... about them Marlingtons? any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Default Marlin

Nope get a real JM stamped Marlin................Gravel Agency has most of the new ones in for repairs.........Harold
Old 02-19-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckeyman View Post
Thanks for the time and advice/info

My biggest concern is I don't wanna waste my hard earned money on an inferior product (crap) nobody does. If the rifles are good quality, will last and shoot well I will pay.

So.... about them Marlingtons? any thoughts?
I bought another only a couple years ago believing it was a "Remlin" but turns out it has the JM stamp. Marlin and Remington have been good a lot longer than bad. The only real problem I hear of is a feeding problem with the Marlins. Sounds (to me) like an easy fix and some guys are just taking care of it themselves. All the recent reviews still cite excellent accuracy (probably better than before) and they are still made with forged steel.

About the Ubertis and Pedersolis: by all accounts they are very nicely made and shoot well but will not handle the heavy loads. I believe the Winchesters will, but would have to read up on them a little more. I also wonder whether the 1886s are made with cheap stampings like the 94.

I would not be too scared to take a chance on a new Marlin. It sounded like there may have been some teething problems with new management that have been rectified.

But then they couldn't be too much worse than the last 4 guns that were bought new or practically new.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM

I have had one Miroku Win a few years ago and it was way nicer than the American 30-30's. I would rate anything out of that plant in Japan over the Italian guns, and most if not all American guns. They have been building these guns for years for Browning and Winchester and they seem to hold their value quite well. I think this is the same plant that makes the Howa/Weatherby etc 1500 series guns, and in the past the Weatherby MKV from Japan. Probably others I don't know about.

I think if you look at the price of an original one in good shape for a shooter then these guns are a bargain.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
personally I would look around and find a 1873 Winchester or uberti chambered in 45-90 or 45-60 or 45-70 before spending the money on a new Winchester made with Japanese metal
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sche...n-classic.html
Good luck with that.
I'll take my Pedersoli Premium grade in 45-70 GVT.
The Uberti rifles I've seen weren't worth half the money on the price tag.
Sent one back last summer to Cabelas that came with pre-buggered screws....disgraceful junk !........my last Uberti.
The Pedersoli workmanship & w/m fit were superb and the gun is deadly accurate.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckeyman View Post
Hello

I'm look at acquiring a "New Winchester" 1886 Short Rifle 45-70. I notice these guns are $1000 ++. So my question is are they worth *it? I don't mind spending money (ask my wife) on good quality. I also know they went out of business a few years back and are now making new guns. My question is are they good quality?*
Thanks for any info/input.*
I imagine their still good guns but I dont know why they cost so much more. They must think we realy missed those guns during the several years they quit making them.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM

The new Miroku built Winchesters are of better build quality than the originals.

Quote:
I would take a Miroku built Winchester over any Uberti or Pedersoli.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Gotta love people who can form opinions about a gun without ever having held one in their hands.
For example a Pedersoli 86/71 not able to stand up to the heavy loads.....what unmitigated nonsense.
Prejudice is a real timesaver cause it allows people to form opinions without taking the time to find and consider the facts.