Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Shrubs

Default "Hunter" rifle scopes

Came across these "Hunter" riflescopes on the weekend and on a whim bought and mounted one. Never heard of them before they just seemed sexy and I figured for 155 bucks I couldn't go wrong. Anyone else have one? I tried to find some reviews but they're fairly new I think.

Of course I'll be "reviewing" it myself but still curious
Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Hmm, no name and cheap too boot.
yes you can go wrong.
Think about it, relaible scopes are easily twice that money, why? becuase a great deal of quality control goes into the products to minimize the failure rate. Dime store scopes (yes yours is) are that way because very little goes into quality control, failure rates of 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 are not un common, so how do you know if you've got the 1 in 100, you dont, plain and simple. Thank you, I'll spend a few more buck for the QC and the fact that the failure rate will likely be 1 in 5000 to 1 in 10000 units. Also consider that when looking at the warrenty, all the warrenty in the world is useless if the scope craps out when you have the chance of a lifetime in fornt of you.
I've tried the lesser brands and guess what, in the end you actually spend more money than what a decent piece of glass would have cost you to begin with.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Hmm, no name and cheap too boot.
yes you can go wrong.
Think about it, relaible scopes are easily twice that money, why? becuase a great deal of quality control goes into the products to minimize the failure rate. Dime store scopes (yes yours is) are that way because very little goes into quality control, failure rates of 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 are not un common, so how do you know if you've got the 1 in 100, you dont, plain and simple. Thank you, I'll spend a few more buck for the QC and the fact that the failure rate will likely be 1 in 5000 to 1 in 10000 units. Also consider that when looking at the warrenty, all the warrenty in the world is useless if the scope craps out when you have the chance of a lifetime in fornt of you.
I've tried the lesser brands and guess what, in the end you actually spend more money than what a decent piece of glass would have cost you to begin with.
+1....

Buy quality once or buy cheap over and over again....
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 PM

+2
I can afford a cheap scope, I cant afford to lose the "one" chance I might get.
I missed a 200 typical in sask because the fogtube was like looking through a glass of water at the biggest buck i had ever seen sauter out of my life.
as far as im concerned scopes start at the $1000 mark, especially on your 'serious' rig.
for starters----zeiss conquest, leupold III, etc.
I work with a guy who is quite impressed that when his scope fogs up all he has to do is unscrew the end and wipe it dry ...'try that with your expensive scope' he says to me

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 AM

x3

Your scope should cost a good percentage of what your rifle costs, maybe more. I too missed a huge buck because my cheap scope, which I'd just checked before leaving crapped out. I don't buy the best but I don't buy low end. These might be OK on plinkers and such where it's not so critical if you miss the target or gopher etc, especially if you own a lot of firearms ( gets costly equipping numerous rifle with expensive scopes) . They will fail sooner or later, expect the warranty to be as low end as the scope is,have had this experience too.

My hunting rifles - leupolds, 4200's, and a 3200 on my son's 270 wsm.
I have a broken sport view in a box and a redfield that I never bothered to fix cause it will likely just break again. I've fixed weavers, lower end bushnells, and now I never fix a scope, cause I buy better scopes. I have one left that doesn't meet this criteria, I'll toss when it fails and buy a leupold.

I use a tasco on a 6mm I only use at the range because it came with a rifle I bought, hasn't failed YET, but never sees harsh conditions either. I shook the crosshairs out of a redfield in about 40 rounds in a light weight 375, same with a B/L on a stw.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM

Personally I do not buy into the scope has to cost so much before it is any good. The scope on my 270 is 32 years old. Bushnell Banner 4X. Nothing fancy or expensive but it has never let me down in those 32 years and has accounted for every big game animal I have harvested till this past fall.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Shrubs

I must be psychic, I figured I'd get those responses, much appreciated but for me it works. Wanted to try something different that's all and if the scope sucks I'll mount it on a trophy gopher gun and go back to a bushnell or burriss, maybe try a nikon. A $1000 scope won't be on any gun of mine in the near future. At the same time this is the least I've spent on a scope and yeah I'm a bit leary but it hasn't proven or disproven itself yet so all I'm asking is if someone else has got one.

Heck, I hope it works out I can put the saved money towards the "girlfriends" 25.06
Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 PM

its really about priorties, and how serious your hunting exploits are taken. i just got really tired of the words, my gun jammed, my sling broke, the scope mounts came loose, etc etc. either from me or other people
spending big dollars on your shooting rig, doesnt mean your not going to have a failure at some point-- it just has been hopefully prolonged. Now, i miss what im shooting at, it is because of the 'nut behind the bolt', not because a scope base moved or some other feeble excuse.

good choice for the GF and good luck with your purchase

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
gitrdun

Shrubs, you got what you paid for. You don't have to spend $1000.00 for a good scope. Right now, there is a Leupold VXII on CGN's EE forum for $275.00
That buys you decent optics in a tough as nails scope with a lifetime warranty, no matter if you are the original purchaser - no questions asked. Still though, I hope your cheap scope works for you.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Tori

Talking Good Scopes

Good for you Shrubs hope it works out for you and who knows you might even have that 1 in 100 that dose work for you .I have had a $150.00 scope on my 243 cal for 8 years now and i shoot 120 rounds a year and have no problem's .

When i miss it wasnt my fault one time my gun jammed and another time my sling broke and i banged the scope and another time the scope mounts came loose dam gunsmith.