Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM

Default Motorcycle Accident Payout...

I'm just curious if anyone that has been in a similar motorcycle accident as me would share what they received....

Oct 10th I was rear ended by another motorcycle at highway speeds...

I was in the trauma unit for two weeks. I had 5 broken ribs, broken clavicle ( surgery to install a J-Hook Plate which was removed Feb 17 ) collapsed and punctured lung requiring a lung tube, and sever bruising etc.

I have a lawyer and was told that they base payout on similar cases ect...

After googling for a while I found similar cases ranging from 1.7M to 73K...

It was actually a buddy who hit me, and he confessed guilt to his insurance company and police so I know I'll have NO issue as I was rear ended.

I understand lost wages etc play a part in final claim but just curious as I have NO idea what to expect...

I'm just started Physio and recovery is going well.

Just curious guys..

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 PM

Had a friend of my wife go through that happened down town Edmonton about 13 years ago. Screwed up his shoulder now with pins, and his knee, knee is shot something to do his with knee cap. Walks with a cane ever since he got out, just turned 60, took at least 8 years of lawyer BS & insurance companies, rumor was he got $950,000.00 clear but he said he would give it all back in a heart beat. He had laid down his bike to avoid being hit, only doing 15 or so miles per hour.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:14 PM

Sorry to hear of your accident...but have been down this road before with someone admitting guilt to an accident. His insurance company will do whatever they can to get out of paying even thou guilt was admitted, they will do there own investigation and will try lay blame on both of you to reduce payout. They are slimy and drag things out for who knows how long...Good Luck
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Could take a while for payout.

Buddy of mine was cut off by a woman in a car, had no choice but to lay the bike down and lost his leg in the process. Went through heck and back with insurance.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:35 PM

I'm glad I am reading about what your asking.
I ride a bike too.
no idea what to offer in regards to your question..just glad to hear your able to read write and comprehend the what is being offered .
Rob
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfman View Post
Sorry to hear of your accident...but have been down this road before with someone admitting guilt to an accident. His insurance company will do whatever they can to get out of paying even thou guilt was admitted, they will do there own investigation and will try lay blame on both of you to reduce payout. They are slimy and drag things out for who knows how long...Good Luck

Really?? I know they are slimy, but I thought if he admitted guilt, was found at fault by the Police as stated in the report, that I wouldn't have any issue. My Lawyer said balls in my court...

In my case there shouldn't be ANY way they can lay blame on me. I was driving roughly 50km/hr when I was hit from behind at roughly 140km/hr.

I hate insurance companies... Fingers r crossed...
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM

In my case there shouldn't be ANY way they can lay blame on me. I was driving roughly 50km/hr when I was hit from behind at roughly 140km/hr.

I hate insurance companies... Fingers r crossed...[/QUOTE]

Well be prepared to wait, I mean for some time. Look over your shoulder for someone video taping you. A local lady here had got broad sided pretty good, then tells the court oh I cant hold my 5 year old kid anymore but she was taped playing with her dog, also had no problems riding the lawn mower or bouncing around boat, she had to wait along time for some money, her payout was after at least 7 years. Some times I know the courts don't know how bad you are hurt. That is why it seems to take along time to settle.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Guilt or not, they still look for something to pay less or nothing. Good Luck
Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
X2
Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
<-------This. Insurance companies are the devil. If I was an insurer based on your story the first conclusion I would jump to would be that it was set-up based on your guys being friends (not suggesting this myself, but you can be darn sure the insurance co is looking into the possibility).

I had a buddy who was hit while he borrowed my motorcycle and it buggered up his knee pretty good. A fellow in a minivan hit him while taking an illegal turn (he was in a lane he shouldn't have been turning from, classic "Oh geesh I'd better instantly yard on the wheel without checking as that's the street I wanted to go to!" I think my pal was chasing a settlement for 5 years on that. I was in an accident 8 years ago where I rear-ended a truck at fairly low speed, that fellow is still pursuing litigation (he's been through a few lawyers, I think he's seeking a private island a with lair in a converted volcano and one beeelion dollars.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:07 AM

Get the best lawyer with big nugets, that you can. As others have said, insurance companies will drag it out or offer a quick cheap payout and sign here kind of deal.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:09 AM

Just curious, but why was he going 140km/hr and how did he rear end you?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 AM

I was in an accident in the summer of 2007 , was stopped at a red light and was rear ended by a lady going rather fast.. it took me 7 years to get paid out and I'm still paying for it.. lawyer up asap and document document document..

Good luck