Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM

Default for you ice fishing vets

I took my son and his friend out ice fishing on Sunday, after I got all the holes drilled and started fishing there were these load booms sounded like someone shooting a big rifle by close to us and after every boom a crack formed in the ice about 2 to 3mm wide, where we were the ice was about 2.5 feet thick, but the boys were did not like it so we left. I am still new at ice fishing and this has never happened to me before so I was wondering if the ice is still safe when this happens, I thought there was nothing to worry about because the ice was so thick but it had been warm for the last couple of weeks and the last few days below -25. Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 AM

It did that to me 4 or 5 times yesterday, seem to only go down a few inches tho. Most of the loud noises are made when the ice freezes from the bottom, if its that thick should be no cause for concern, just palpitations I know I jumped pretty good and Im used to it now.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 AM

When the ice is that thick (and it's not spring and rotten) you're totally fine. I do have to admit that some of that cracking and popping does give a guy the heebie-jeebies, especially when you can feel it under your feet!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Fishing buddy was telling me yesterday it's a really good sign. His friend used to haul gear in a semi across a big lake somewhere every winter (he told me where but I forgot) and when they heard that ice cracking like that when they were driving the semis over it, it was a sign it was really hard and solid. It's when it doesn't make any noise that you have to worry (ice is bending and sagging under you).

Just what I've heard
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM

I've always been told it is the ice shifting.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM

i nearly crapped my pants first time i heard the ice crack, but i have been told it makes the ice stronger, and it's totally fine. i find it happens a lot when it's very cold. you'll notice it too when vehicles drive by you and the ice makes a "sploung" sound, it's caused by waves the vehicle makes and are also fine as long as they aren't breaking ice speed records! lol
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 AM

It is a good sign when it's cold. Just means the ice is still freezing. Ice freezes from the bottom and as you know water expands when it freezes and it's gotta give somewhere resulting in cracks.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Ice expands when it freezes. Try filling a water bottle full of water then put it in the freezer and see what happens. So what happens when it gets warm? It contracts. Moving ice is completely normal and it should not be worried about.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM

the ice is just moving around the lake and expanding no worrys i used to be scared of it....keep fishing
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Most often it is a pressure change that cause the ice to crack alot. Nothing to be wooried about.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Smile Booming Ice

On Lake Ontario when it got very cold at night it would boom all the time. We would drive our cars across to Kingston. The noise is nothing to worry about but always be careful on the ice. The 2 strategies for driving on the ice, where to assume that it is breaking behind you so drive fast. This is wrong. Worry that there may be open parts in front of you so be able to stop!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Had a friend that was lucky enough to be on a lake when a big heave formed. He said it was pretty impressive, thunderous booms and ice crystals shot into the air, said the crystals formed a rainbow for a bit of time. Would love to see that!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Another story, took a guy out that had never been on ice before, we were on about six or eight inches of hard ice. I was telling a story and he was off to the side a little bit, the ice started booming, I was so used to it I just kept talking. At the appropriate time for him to interject into the conversation, nothing. I looked over at him but he was gone, I looked behind me and he was in a hard sprint for shore. As I went over to talk to him I still didn't have a clue what was wrong. He was a little sheepish as he explained, but if you don't know, you don't know. So ya it happens lots and the people that spend a lot of time in the ice, I don't think it even registers any more.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice, if it was just me there I would have stayed but the boys did not want to and were nervous so rather than have them just sitting in the truck I took them tobogganing instead either way it was a nice day outside.
I will feel better next time knowing it is normal and plan on going out this coming weekend.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Most often it is a pressure change that cause the ice to crack alot. Nothing to be wooried about.
I tried explaining that to my Wife last week, took me about 15 minutes to calm her down after she figured out what the noise was. It was her second time ice fishing and for awhile I thought it would be her last. There was a close one to our tent and when the water started moving up and down in the holes she couldn't get out of the tent fast enough. I had a hard time not laughing and making the matter worse for her, or me. After an hour or so she wasn't jumping every time the ice boomed.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
I tried explaining that to my Wife last week, took me about 15 minutes to calm her down after she figured out what the noise was. It was her second time ice fishing and for awhile I thought it would be her last. There was a close one to our tent and when the water started moving up and down in the holes she couldn't get out of the tent fast enough. I had a hard time not laughing and making the matter worse for her, or me. After an hour or so she wasn't jumping every time the ice boomed.
This cheered me up

The trick I used in the past was to point out that we could cut a big circle around us in the ice... and it would still float. Ice floats! That seemed to do the trick.

I'm certain you could cut a big circle around a truck/car, and that would float too.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
It is a good sign when it's cold. Just means the ice is still freezing. Ice freezes from the bottom and as you know water expands when it freezes and it's gotta give somewhere resulting in cracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Ice expands when it freezes. Try filling a water bottle full of water then put it in the freezer and see what happens. So what happens when it gets warm? It contracts. Moving ice is completely normal and it should not be worried about.
Right on guys...X2 on these explanations!

This is entirley normal and no cause for concern...

back in MB when I was a young lad, we used to go fishing on a really large lake called Clear Lake in Riding Mountain Nat. Park. There the ice would be 3 feet+ thick in any given winter and after you put extensions on your auger, you could still see VERY clearly to the bottom in 20-25 ft of water. Man I miss those days...and that lake.

But I digress. What was really cool about the ice is when the temps started to warm up and the ice would shift. Usually along the southern shore, the ice would buckle and form huge ridges (sometimes 10 ft. high in places)because the north wind would be pushing the ice. Think of Superman's Fortress of Solitude! It was really cool to see and when this ice shift was happening....it was like shotguns going off all over the lake. Very scary when it happened close by!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulie4x4 View Post
Thanks for all the advice, if it was just me there I would have stayed but the boys did not want to and were nervous so rather than have them just sitting in the truck I took them tobogganing instead either way it was a nice day outside.
I will feel better next time knowing it is normal and plan on going out this coming weekend.
All good advice. Very nerve-wracking the first few times; especially when it cracks under your feet.

As one previous poster mentioned on the larger lakes you will get the huge heaves.

Just sit back and enjoy nature's show!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

alls good....well unless a pressure ridge developes under your truck or cuts your access off the lake
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Default ice

man when u are laying down on the ice in the warm sun dreamin of open water and one of those cracks happen right under u ,it gets comical fast in ways i put on here ,lets just say the boys back in ontario are still laughin at my dance
Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
On Lake Ontario when it got very cold at night it would boom all the time. We would drive our cars across to Kingston. The noise is nothing to worry about but always be careful on the ice. The 2 strategies for driving on the ice, where to assume that it is breaking behind you so drive fast. This is wrong. Worry that there may be open parts in front of you so be able to stop!
Where did you drive across Lake Ont. from to get to Kingston??