Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Question about Fluorocarbon Leaders

I have decided to make the switch over to fluorocarbon from the traditional wire. Just one question. Do you tie on a swivel to the end of the leader, making it easier to change lures or do you tie on a longer piece of fluorocarbon and cut it each time you wish to switch your presentation up.

Thanks Steve.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryones View Post
I have decided to make the switch over to fluorocarbon from the traditional wire. Just one question. Do you tie on a swivel to the end of the leader, making it easier to change lures or do you tie on a longer piece of fluorocarbon and cut it each time you wish to switch your presentation up.

Thanks Steve.
All I do with my fluorocarbon leaders is put a loop on the end that I attach to my main line and then a snap swivel on the end that gets the lure, making for easy change-ups

I also run a snap swivel on my main line to make it easy to swap out leaders when one starts getting mangled.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks Steve.
Steve
I guess it depends on what you are fishing for..
pike yes
Walleye no
Trout no
i do not use one but other do, i think it is a personal thing..
good luck
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Default One Question

I have looked at fluoruocarbon line and I just cant believe that a decent pike cant bite through this stuff.

Feel free to clear this up for me.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I have looked at fluoruocarbon line and I just cant believe that a decent pike cant bite through this stuff.

In my situation for pike I'm using 50lb fluoro leader material, and I have to say that stuff is pretty heavy duty. That being said, I did have one that broke off, but I don't know if the fish bit it off, or if it was a dodgy crimp on my part

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM

I use suffix flouro. Tough stuff. Can't bite it off myself, need a nail clippers so can't see how a pike could. I use 15 lb.

About the snap swivel. I do use a swivel between my braid and flouro. Then use 4-6 feet of leader. On the hook end, depends what you are doing. If you pulling raps or spoons, use a snap swivel for easy changes. The rapala is an agressive tactic anyway, no need to scale down hardware IMO. But if you're tieing it to a jig head and jigging for walleye....yes definitely tie right on to jig.

If your pike fishing, get good snaps and the cheap ones will just pull part.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Flouorcarbon

I started using flouorcarbon about 4 years ago..it is very tough stuff. I agree that for pike a snap swivel is the way to go..I never use a swivel for walleye and trout fishing. I mostly use flouro for flyfishing..it has a smaller diameter per lb than mono which allows me to use heavier line when using flies on #16 hooks and up.
There is also the invisibility factor - which is another thing that I like about it.
When I am fishing "crono's" for trout with an indicator I use flourocarbon as tippet material exclusively...it is denser than flouro and it sinks..which is crucial when using choronimid patterns under an indicator.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM

I use a loop to loop connection with no swivels or snaps. I usualy use 4 feet most of the time. You simply make a loop with your mainline and put the looped und through the center of the knot three times with braid, and then do the same thing with the flouro. You can get away with two times through the hoop on flouro, and I leave both loops about in inch to a inch and a half in length. It's fast and you don't loose any strength in the knots. It's basically the same loop to loop connection that some fly fisherman use.

Chris K
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses. One other question, in regard to swivels for Pike. Are there different sizes and if so what would you recommend for them. Also what would be a good brand name.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM

I only use these if I'm using any. http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl.../30042/-855609

Size 20# is pretty small, but keep some for some things. For pike I'd use the 40 or 50 # ones.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post

I use 60 pound, best Ive caught on it so far is 16 and a half pounds, a couple 14s and 12 and down., havent even seen a nick in the line so far. Ive watched a 4 pounder bite though 30 pound braid like nothing. I like the flouro better than wire so far. I made a couple quick strikes with no hardware just loops to try and get around the picky biters, have to give one a shot this Sunday and see how it goes.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I use 60 pound, best Ive caught on it so far is 16 and a half pounds, a couple 14s and 12 and down., havent even seen a nick in the line so far. Ive watched a 4 pounder bite though 30 pound braid like nothing. I like the flouro better than wire so far. I made a couple quick strikes with no hardware just loops to try and get around the picky biters, have to give one a shot this Sunday and see how it goes.
What brand leader material are you using Wayne? For all the piking you do I'm surprised you haven't had any of your leaders get nicked up.

I've been using the Trilene Big Game and I've had a few leaders and quick strikes get nicked now - nothing serious but you can feel it if you run your fingers down the line. Don't know how much minor nicks affect the strength of the leader, but as soon as there's any damage at all I'll swap it out.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. One other question, in regard to swivels for Pike. Are there different sizes and if so what would you recommend for them. Also what would be a good brand name.
I personally like this style of Mustad snap swivel in around size 4 for pike

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM

BBG isnt a flourocarbon last i knew
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
BBG isnt a flourocarbon last i knew
There's Big Game mono, which I use to tie my snells in the summer, and then there's also Big Game Fluoro leader material

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...eader-material

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
There's Big Game mono, which I use to tie my snells in the summer, and then there's also Big Game Fluoro leader material

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...eader-material
thanks i never knew
whats it like compared to their Vanish line?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
thanks i never knew
whats it like compared to their Vanish line?
I had 2 reels spooled up with light (4lb and 6lb) Vanish and hated it.

Comparing 4lb fluoro line to 50lb fluoro leader material is kind of an apples and oranges comparison though That being said, so far I've really liked the way the Big Game fluoro leader material has been working out for me, both for leaders and for my quick strike rigs.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I had 2 reels spooled up with light (4lb and 6lb) Vanish and hated it.

Comparing 4lb fluoro line to 50lb fluoro leader material is kind of an apples and oranges comparison though That being said, so far I've really liked the way the Big Game fluoro leader material has been working out for me, both for leaders and for my quick strike rigs.
i got to get out more and see whats new...lol
i have reels filled with berkley iron thread and fireline....and only use vanish for my eye fishing.
thanks im going shopping tomorrow and look for BBG flouro
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM

VANISH? Oh no...please say it aint so? WORSE LINE EVER!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
VANISH? Oh no...please say it aint so? WORSE LINE EVER!
has never let me down....and i get bit as much as the next guy
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Oh boy chubb...you must be lucky. That line is garbage. Try something else and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Oh boy chubb...you must be lucky. That line is garbage. Try something else and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Stang i will try some other kinds because of this thread....but seriously ive never had Vanish fail me.
Like i said i still have a ton of iron thread in cold storage and think its still the best braid ever.....
i also had a guy whisper to his friend......hehehe look that old guy tapes his reel to his rod...........maybe i need a make over

Last edited by chubbdarter; 02-17-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 PM

I thought the same thing too. Then I went fishing with a walleye pro and pointed out how bad it was. (I used it too because I didn't want to buy a big roll) Tried some others and was way better. Knot strength has to be the abosolute worst on the flouros I tried. It wouldn't hold 60-70% of it rated weight.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing too. Then I went fishing with a walleye pro and pointed out how bad it was. (I used it too because I didn't want to buy a big roll) Tried some others and was way better. Knot strength has to be the abosolute worst on the flouros I tried. It wouldn't hold 60-70% of it rated weight.
maybe thats where the explaination lies....i tested alot of different lbs of vanish and finally decided 14lb test gave me the best action on my phoebe minnow combo for walleyes......i even said to myself WOW 14 seems heavy, but my walleye sucess is pretty good so i havent changed.
But maybe thats why i never had a failure im way over equiped at 14lbs.
Which raises another question if i change to another brand and cant the right action.....it really doesnt make difference if it has better knot strength because i'll be biteless
Ice eyes are so so so much harder on us old guys than open water eyes.

p.s. ive never had the experience of fishing with a walleye pro....heck i dont even know any

Last edited by chubbdarter; 02-17-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I like those snaps as well, best Ive tried so far, only problem is the snap tends to fall out of the swivel and get lost if you leave it open. I also use the Big Game leader material. at a buck a yard its gives you a lot of leaders. I dont get many deep bites to get nicked tho, I like to watch the fish on the camera and hit them as soon as they have the hook in their mouth.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I like those snaps as well, best Ive tried so far, only problem is the snap tends to fall out of the swivel and get lost if you leave it open. I also use the Big Game leader material. at a buck a yard its gives you a lot of leaders. I dont get many deep bites to get nicked tho, I like to watch the fish on the camera and hit them as soon as they have the hook in their mouth.
Same here. Almost ran out last trip, so stocked up again this week
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM

i too use those snaps - but i place the swivel between the main line and the leader, and just the snap part to the end of the flouro. this is nice if you are joining a braid to a heavy (i use 44lb RIO for pike) as the huge difference in diameter and the sharpness of the braid against the flouro can cause issues
cheers
Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Fair enough...pretty much any of the ones I've had hooked deep have been on the tip-up when I'm with somebody else in the tent and don't have room to keep an eye on both rods.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Fair enough...pretty much any of the ones I've had hooked deep have been on the tip-up when I'm with somebody else in the tent and don't have room to keep an eye on both rods.
Which reminds me... Must remember to buy a tip-up alarm today
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Are all of you who use the FC leader are you all crimping, and what do you need to start up.