Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Bovin(blue lake) or Lys lake

Anyone been to either of these lakes in the castle/pincher area? Just trying to pick a few destinations for hikes this summer, and wondering how the fishing was at these lakes.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM

I've hiked into Blue Lake, very pretty back there. It's about a three hour walk with a heavy pack to get to the lake. I never fished it so couldn't tell you anything there. If you are headed that way pack bear spray or another form of bear repellent (rifle/shot gun). There was a nice looking grizzly living back there a couple years ago and I doubt he's left.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM

They're both good fishing (at least they were a few years back, its been a while). Little rainbows at both lakes but lots of them. I caught more at Blue lake, but the fish at Lys are pretty cool looking. Lys is harder to get to, we went for a scout camp and took horses. Had a good time at both lakes!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM

i thoght theres brookies in bovin lake?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM

I am sure they are brookies in bovin lake, and there could be rainbows to as well. I am sure I'll make a trip back there this year. I'll post how it was.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM

its better then elbows lake miniture brook trout stalk lol
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Now that you mention it, I guess it was brookies at blue. I stand corrected... Like I said, its been a while lol. But I am sure it was rainbows at Lys. sorry about that...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM

threre are brookies in boivin lys is harder to get to. If you are scared of bears dont go. I hate to see safety of people compromised by chicken #### hikers with guns. guns kill people bears dont. be wise and have fun.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
threre are brookies in boivin lys is harder to get to. If you are scared of bears dont go. I hate to see safety of people compromised by chicken #### hikers with guns. guns kill people bears dont. be wise and have fun.
No dude. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. A gun is a tool like anything else. A hammer, screwdriver, stick, a frying pan, almost anything you can hold in your hands are are capable of hurting a person if used in such a manner. IT IS THE USER NOT THE GUN. Bears are a wild animal, and such are unpredictable. Same as moose, cougars, wolves, yotes, deer whatever. I carry a small horn, spray, and bangers. And yes a firearm. 99.9% of the time wild animals will flee from humans. There is however the other
0.1%. I am not scared of bears. I respect them and what they are capable of. After having a 800 pound grizz 30 feet away and not running from 2 bearbangers and a gunshot into the trees, that is why I choose to carry. But to each their own. I very much dislike your gun comment.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 AM

Sorry to hear that dude. America is waiting for you. NRA are looking for people just like you. Punch the numbers dude guns kill. If you want to tresspass in the wilderness accept the risks or dont go. Im guessing you have a number of unregistered firearms.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that dude. America is waiting for you. NRA are looking for people just like you. Punch the numbers dude guns kill. If you want to tresspass in the wilderness accept the risks or dont go. Im guessing you have a number of unregistered firearms.
Guns kill and not people?? Wierd.. None of the ones in my house have even moved, let alone load themsleves... Each person can make their own decision on how to best protect themselves from bears.. How many tents and trailers in that area do you figure have some kind of a gun in them during the season?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Last edited by Dale S; 02-22-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I didnt think antis were allowed on this forum , maybe head on back to the PETA site
Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Default Stupid comments

I frequent the back country often during the summer months and would say you are a fool not to bring a gun with you if you are legally entitled to. It is unfortunate though that sometimes stupid people are allowed to own firearms just like stupid people are allow to drive and own vehicles. I don't go fishing in the back country hoping to have a confrontation with a bear. I like to be prepared. Freddydog maybe you should go fishing in the back country more often! Sorry to kill the original theme of this thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=michaelmicallef;841586]. Freddydog maybe you should go fishing in the back country more often!QUOTE]

Now that's just LMAO
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM

buy a flare gun or some firecracker/works
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
1. I am looking for people like the NRA.

2. You run some numbers as well, there are way more deaths due to car crashes, stabbings, drug/alcohol abuse, as well as many others than firearms.

3. I didn't realize I was trespassing going on crown land. Last time I checked I was born on canadian soil, and I am a canadian citizen. That land is mine every bit as it is yours or any other canadian citizen or animal. SHARE the land.

4. The risks are accepted. Also, any person or animal that tries to take my life from me or cause me physical harm must also accept the risk of doing so.
I would gladly have a big ol bear on my property, over for a beer even, as long as he didn't want to hurt me.

5. ALL my firearms are registered. Because that is the law. They are locked up in my safe because that is the law. I carry them on crown land because I am a licensed firearm owner, I am allowed, and that is the Law.

6. I have owned guns for many years. They have never harmed anyone.

7. Have you ever been in the back country? Miles from any source of help?
Sounds like your idea of hiking is walking 30 meters from your vehicle to the stocked trout pond.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Also just want to apologize to everyone for my ranting, just a little irritated. Would still like to hear info on these lakes if anyone has some. This is the fishing forum so lets keep it at that. And freddydog, I will gladly continue this conversation on the guns and ammo forum if you so choose:. Good day to all.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Ouch!!!!! Nice replies. I like when my stubborn opinions generates discussion. Guns for protection is just wrong. If I was going to holiday in a city and the travel agent slid a gun across the table and said "dont go without this" I wouldnt go. There is more of a percieved risk than actual risk with bears. You are more likely to die driving to the trail head than you are on the trail. And, you are more likely to die from a gun mishap than you are from a bear........just thinking......oh and I really dont like stocked ponds....