Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Default ice fishing @ Coal lake

Hey everyone I am new here. I was just wondering about coal lake. Me and my son shore fished the lake all spring and summer till the weeds were just so bad or the lake got low and then moved back to the NSR and Jackfish lake in our boat. I was wondering if the abundance of weeds in the north end of Coal will make for excellent ice fishinf for longer than most other lakes with less weeds.
I have never ice fished since i was about my sons age and am wondering where the best lake to take him to will be. I want to go try cutting a hole in beaumont pond and try for a few little trout im thinking. I also would like to have him catch a nioce little perch at coal or jackfish though too. Jackfish was the most fun for me this summer but not sure about the winter, any suggestions on some fail safe places for between now and christmas, we r all ready to go!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 PM

Default coal lake

Ice fished coal lake once last winter, caught about 25 hammer handles....couldn't find anything over 4 ish lbs... a "for sure" lake would have to be wab
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM

coal is very dead for big ones. The odd one but you have to be lucky..
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 PM

I wish Safety D was DEAD.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Thats all we have ever caught all summer too but I have also had two occasions that i was using 6.00 top water baits with 14lb line and splash and a quick little jerk and gone! never really got a good look at either one. Well how about Hasse,Dolberg,Black Nugget(dodds coal mine) beaumont pond(four seasons) does anyone fish these in winter with good success? Or should we head to a larger lake and go for perch and pike and wallye? I want my son to reel in a little little perch. He would be so happy with himself. He is only four and he just loves fishing but usually catches larger fish and never caught a perch ever. Cant wait
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM

this summer seemed bad at coal... caught a lot less fish than last year, and they were a lot smaller, although still fun to go there. A year ago, it was my favorite local lake to go, maybe average 30+ fish in a 4 or 5 hour trip, many in the 4-6lb range, with maybe 4 or 5 last year in the 10 -15lb range, this year was dissapointing. all small, maybe 5-10 per trip, and nothing over 3lbs. not sure what happened, except that I know the water is WAY down this year. This is regarding summer fishing, but just some extra info...
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Default coal lake

me and a buddy went out to coal one day this summer and trolled back and forth all day in his john boat (5-6 hours) I am sure between the two of us we caught over 40 pike......quantity is not the issue at coal...size is....Take your 4 year old son to east pitt...you should bang in some rainbows there as long as you have the right bait (changes every year) he should catch some that are decent.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
Well how about Hasse,Dolberg,Black Nugget(dodds coal mine) beaumont pond(four seasons) does anyone fish these in winter with good success? Or should we head to a larger lake and go for perch and pike and wallye? I want my son to reel in a little little perch. He would be so happy with himself. He is only four and he just loves fishing but usually catches larger fish and never caught a perch ever. Cant wait
This winter will be the first time I will ice fish Hasse so I can't speak from winter experience there but during the summer my wife and kids and I catch loads of those little guys right below the floating dock. The lake is overrun with stunted perch. You should have no trouble catching them in winter. The key is tiny hooks and light line (2-3lb is plenty). The Marmish jigs are great. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 AM

if u go to east pit be careful ..i near drowned there couple years back soft spots every were thank god i had my bro a long pulled me out ....if u want to catch fish go to pigeon lake...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys. the same story as us for fishing at coal, I was thinking Hsse too for that reason because someone illegally introduced perch into hasse. It sucks but we can fish them all out maybe. LOL. We will definately have to head west down the yellowhead and stop by a few on the way to wabuman. I have never fished pigeon ever, going to have to try it maybe this winter and upcoming summer. I also stopped by a farmers field that has a deep pond just off the road so i drove throught the field and went out with the only heavy steel object I had in my truck, a a reciver hitch with a 2" ball and whacked a hole through the ice> I wouls say it was about 2.5-3" thick in all three spots I did it in. Im so excited now.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 PM

I went to coal 6 times last year and never saw a pike over 7lb's. Everyone was cating fish but the average pike was 3-4lb's which i thought stunk a little bit.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Well hes not so you better keep wishin. ive forgot more then you know about fishing FREAK !!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Well hes not so you better keep wishin. ive forgot more then you know about fishing FREAK !!!!
Come on man, We're just trying to exchange information...
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any hot spots at coal lake for perch and what i should use for tackle and bait ..??
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM

I would love to know WHERE is good as well. I've only caught pike almost every weekend in summer but never heard any good points as to a sure place there for perch. Hasse was fun.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Yah hasse is a good lake for quanity of fish but the perch in that lake dont get too big i went there once and i caught 17 little guys i think the biggest one was around 5 inch
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

only place i've caught perch at coal was at the south end, patrolling the edge of where the heavy weedline ended, maybe 4-6 FOW
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Oh nice any decent sized ..???
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM

I can't tell you where to fish in coal but I can tell u that u have to find a spot where nobody goes! This may take you 20 min to walk to on foot in the summer! But once you find a spot away from the local fishing spot u will be in a feeding frenzy! Me and my buds go once in a while ( yes we have to walk through thorn bushes, walk through mud, and maybe even a few feet of water but it's worth it in the end) and boy do we catch lots . Mostly in the 22-28 inch zone but every 3 casts you'll have one on! We did manage to catch a 40 incher too last summer! It's a riot! And it's all about how much work u put in to finding the buggers!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboy View Post
Oh nice any decent sized ..???
most have been maybe around a pound or so... never caught any tiny ones, but nothing too big either. wasn't targeting them, they were caught on fairly large rapalas while going after pike.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
I wish Safety D was DEAD.
Now thats funny