Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

Default Fly Reel Backing

I recently purchased a new second reel for an 8wt set-up that I am setting up with a Scientific Anglers WetCel Sink Tip Type-6 Fly Line. The line is 80' long with a 210 grain 27'-6" head length. The reel has a 150 yard 20lb backing capacity. I have a brand new spool of 20lb Scientific Anglers Dacron backing. Would that be enough or should I pick up another spool and fill the reel to its maximum 150 yard capacity? My question is not based on the worry of fish spooling me but on whether or not the fly line requires the full amount of backing for it to spool properly on the reel?

P.S I am getting this set-up primarily as a bucktailing setup for rainbows etc for a 2018 late spring/early summer BC interior trip fishing some of the big waters like Shuswap, Revelstoke etc.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 PM

use your existing backing, it will be fine.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
use your existing backing, it will be fine.
I should have corrected my post to read I have a 100 yard spool of backing. Do I need the extra 50 yards or will the 100 yards suffice?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:52 PM

I would spool the reel to capacity.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I should have corrected my post to read I have a 100 yard spool of backing. Do I need the extra 50 yards or will the 100 yards suffice?
100 will be fine.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 AM

You do not NEED the extra line. It will still work just fine. More will simply give you more line to play fish (as you already know) and will increase your arbour size. The increased arbour size will allow more line to be gathered for every turn of the reel. On my 1 weight, I use hardly any backing.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Default Backing

100 yds will be fine. You would only need more for hard/long running bigger fish like bonefish/permit or silvers/chums/kings. Consider yourself fortunate if you find trout that will get you into half of your backing.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuack View Post
100 yds will be fine. You would only need more for hard/long running bigger fish like bonefish/permit or silvers/chums/kings. Consider yourself fortunate if you find trout that will get you into half of your backing.
Lol...yes as I stated I wasn't concerned about being spooled. Only ever had that happen once in my life on the Black Sturgeon River out of Nipigon Ontario. Was tossing crankbaits for walleye when something nailed my wally diver and took off downstream for Lake Superior at full throttle! Spooled me of 180 yards of brand new 8lb mono in about 20 seconds. When the line got to the end it let go off the spool with a "crack" sound like a 22 round going off. Never did see what it was that I had on but I suspect a Salmon? And one other time when a Sea Lion got hold of a Chinook of about 20 pounds I had on and took off with everything!
I was asking about the fly reel primarily as I was curious if the smaller overall diameter from not spooling to full capacity would have any negative effect on the fly line? My only experience with a fly rod to date is an 8' Kunnan I acquired years ago in a 5wt and I have the reel spooled to it's maximum capacity. It amazes me how fly lines seem to suffer almost no spool memory after sitting for extended periods and how easily the little they do spool can be stretched out of them and with a little cleaning how well they work?!!

Last edited by The Spank; 08-23-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Backing

The only downside of not having more backing is the reduced diameter of the spool that you are reeling your line onto. Hence, a little more reeling. Others above have made that point and it's true, but I don't think it matters that much and in particular for trout fishing. Having a little less backing won't effect casting, fishing or anything else pre-hookup. Having too much backing on the other hand, can cause your fly line to bind in the reel when it is fully reeled up. The line never seems to spool on quite as neatly when landing a fish as when you are putting in on in your living room.