Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Exclamation Fishing May 11

Hey everyone,

To make a long story short, I'm meeting my father-in-law in Red Deer and surprising him an evening of fly fishing for his birthday. I'm getting his wife to pack up all of his fly stuff secretly, and then I'll grab it on my way to meet him and pick him up... Unfortunately, I checked the regs, and the Red Deer River is Closed until the following week....

So, where would be good to take him to lay a fly? He's a die-hard river guy, although the only place I could think of is the Dixon Pond...

I'll be meeting him around 4, so I'd rather not spend the whole time driving... Any ideas are appreciated. This is our only night available to fish, so waiting until the following week is out (for now)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Hey everyone,

To make a long story short, I'm meeting my father-in-law in Red Deer and surprising him an evening of fly fishing for his birthday. I'm getting his wife to pack up all of his fly stuff secretly, and then I'll grab it on my way to meet him and pick him up... Unfortunately, I checked the regs, and the Red Deer River is Closed until the following week....

So, where would be good to take him to lay a fly? He's a die-hard river guy, although the only place I could think of is the Dixon Pond...

I'll be meeting him around 4, so I'd rather not spend the whole time driving... Any ideas are appreciated. This is our only night available to fish, so waiting until the following week is out (for now)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Jeff

Stauffer, prairie creek, Clearwater
Old 05-08-2017, 03:38 PM

I was just doing some looking and realized that NSR at rocky is only ~1 hr from red Deer... So I think I'll take him there, and get a good evening fish in... Lots of room to cast, as we're both kind of new.

Is there a good mix of trout and other species in the NSR at the Rocky bridge, or is it dominated by pike/walleye?

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Take him to Prarie creek
Old 05-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Take him to Prarie creek
Probably what I'd recommend too.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Alright, Google mapped a few spots, and I think I have a few promising spots picked out.

Any ideas on what flies might be hot this time of year? Forecast says +24 and sunny... So even if there's no fish, it beats sitting at home.

Jeff