Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Default Wedge pond

Anyone willing to share any tips for Wedge pond to a novice fly fisherman? Went for the first time yesterday. Mostly iced up still, but you can fish from 1/4 - 1/3 of the shoreline. And there are fish... saw a few rise up. Also saw a grizz saunter by at the end.... was my cue to leave!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
Anyone willing to share any tips for Wedge pond to a novice fly fisherman? Went for the first time yesterday. Mostly iced up still, but you can fish from 1/4 - 1/3 of the shoreline. And there are fish... saw a few rise up. Also saw a grizz saunter by at the end.... was my cue to leave!
Never had so much as a nibble at wedge but I have caught graying on white bead head chironomids and dries. I have heard they are a fickle fish but when they are on you can catch them with almost anything.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
What did you try and how were you fishing? Dry, Nymph, fly color, size, indicator - depth?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM

Grayling in the rivers will literally smash poplar fuzz thinking its a dry fly lol they are super easy but ive never caught them in stillwater i guess that would change the dynamics ...... try a leech or damsel nymph thats what i would do but ive never fished wedge but i jave alot of experience catching grayling good luck
Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
What did you try and how were you fishing? Dry, Nymph, fly color, size, indicator - depth?
To be honest, I'm really not sure what I'm doing 100%. Lol! I started with a prince nymph -- no indicator. I would cast out about 30' and simply strip it back in... Maybe 1 foot at a time. Basically copying what I saw someone else doing earlier.

A few fish started rising for bugs about 20 - 30' out, so I switched to a mosquito pattern dry fly. Here's a couple of basic questions about that: after a while the fly got too wet and started to sink... What do you guys do about that? Switch flies? Try to prevent it from getting water logged in the first place? Does it matter much?

Thanks for the replies so far... I've had my fly rod for a while, but having a bit of a tough time getting into it. I even brought my spinning gear in case yesterday, but used the fly gear and found it very enjoyable.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I'm really not sure what I'm doing 100%. Lol! I started with a prince nymph -- no indicator. I would cast out about 30' and simply strip it back in... Maybe 1 foot at a time. Basically copying what I saw someone else doing earlier.

A few fish started rising for bugs about 20 - 30' out, so I switched to a mosquito pattern dry fly. Here's a couple of basic questions about that: after a while the fly got too wet and started to sink... What do you guys do about that? Switch flies? Try to prevent it from getting water logged in the first place? Does it matter much?

Thanks for the replies so far... I've had my fly rod for a while, but having a bit of a tough time getting into it. I even brought my spinning gear in case yesterday, but used the fly gear and found it very enjoyable.
For your dry flies you can treat them with a number of different floatants / desiccants. The thing to remember is that dry flies made of cdc do not like all floatants.

Also a few false casts will "air dry" your fly enough it should float again.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:

99% of fish feed subsurface. When you spot fish rising you need to ascertain are they chasing something up like a boatman or rising chironomid or are they eating a surface insect like an ant or an emerged chironomid or chasing a pre-emerger.

A go to dryfly in the mountains is a caddis...size 14. Use a fly floatant. Hit Fish Tales Flyshop for tons of free advice on what to use for flies.

Also when fishing subsurface you can either cast and strip, cast, sink then strip, cast and fish vertical. You can also put on a indicator and let since and retrieve slow or twitch back and let sit still. Depth is Critical! Hook color and size is often critical. Stealth is also critical. Anchor for float tube is critical. Use a dumbbell weight and rope.

Practice...observe...copy...change. My rule of thumb. No bite in 5 minutes...change depth. No bite after changing depths...change fly. Get a bite at a depth then nothing...change fly...lower or raise fly 2 feet. Change it up. That is the secret.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Smaller bead head nymph and chironomid
Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Thank you gents for the great advice. Can't wait to put it to use.