Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Best place to buy flies in Calgary

Hi,

I just picked up my first fly rod, and am wondering where the best place is to go and buy some flies.

The Fishing hole had premium and regular flies, do the fish notice a difference?

What size flies should I be buying to fish for trout?
my rod is a 5/6 weight (I think it should be #10-12 but am not sure.

Any particulars I should get?

I do have a copy of Alberta's trout highway so I picked up some caddies and some stimulators.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 PM

Go the link on the flyfishing board here at AO. IckyFlyWorks - with the 10% discount offered, you'll pay 90 cnets a fly as opposed to $1.50 a fly at Fishin Hole, and $2.25 a fly at Wholesale.

Icky has good quality flies for the price, decent selection, and fast!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:26 PM

What size flies should I be buying to fish for trout?
my rod is a 5/6 weight (I think it should be #10-12 but am not sure.[/QUOTE]

Size of fly will be dictated by where you are fishing and what you are targeting, not by the fly rod weight, within of course some limitations. You can cast a #6 or #8 streamer or leech imitation with the 5/6 weight, even in a big river like the Bow, although a 6/7 wt would be better.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Icky flies.

But i just got an email from Ben as he brought in a couple of patterns that i requested and he informed me that he has new stock in but hasn't quite gone through everything and updated his website, it will be done soon i guess but you can view the site...if you look on the right hand of the page you will see his best sellers for each category of dries/nymphs/streamers/terrestrials, there is pictures and brief descriptions, also he has some sets available...if you study the best sellers and grab packs you can get a very good idea of the basic flies that most fishermen use and keep on hand...buy some popular flies in each category try a couple of different sizes and learn the rest on the water.

Icky has great prompt service and is a local businesses with great prices.

But even that was not enough to stop me from purchasing a vise tools and materials recently hahaha...i will still order from icky for a while yet!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM

[/QUOTE] Size of fly will be dictated by where you are fishing and what you are targeting, not by the fly rod weight, within of course some limitations. You can cast a #6 or #8 streamer or leech imitation with the 5/6 weight, even in a big river like the Bow, although a 6/7 wt would be better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't think it would matter all that much, but then I read somewhere today it could affect your casting, so thought I would ask.

thanks for the response.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Icky flies.

But i just got an email from Ben as he brought in a couple of patterns that i requested and he informed me that he has new stock in but hasn't quite gone through everything and updated his website, it will be done soon i guess but you can view the site...if you look on the right hand of the page you will see his best sellers for each category of dries/nymphs/streamers/terrestrials, there is pictures and brief descriptions, also he has some sets available...if you study the best sellers and grab packs you can get a very good idea of the basic flies that most fishermen use and keep on hand...buy some popular flies in each category try a couple of different sizes and learn the rest on the water.

Icky has great prompt service and is a local businesses with great prices.

But even that was not enough to stop me from purchasing a vise tools and materials recently hahaha...i will still order from icky for a while yet!
I second this. I have made quite a few purchases from Icky and amazing service and selection. Can't beat the $.90 flies, but for me the prompt service after placing the order is definitely worth it.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:56 PM

the following website is very good too. they actually supply a few stores in Calgary. I met the owner at the fly fishing show. very good guy. the prices are usually very decent as well. last year I paid $89 for flies for my wife and I. after I compared the prices to the local stores I figured I saved over $125, plus they are excellent with the customer service. the didn't have one of the selections I requested so they included a mixer pack with a dozen flies in it for free. free shipping as well!

http://www.reelflies.ca/
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 AM

Another shout out for Ben at Icky's. Ordered some for the upcoming season and forgot the AO code. Informed them of my boo boo and he immediately gave me the 10% off. Doesn't get any better than that.