Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 PM

Default Question about my Ruger m77

I have a couple questions about my Ruger m77 30-06 bolt action.
1. What year was my rifle made? Ser# 78-06787
2. How many rounds could I expect to put through it before the barrel would be considered "worn out"? Yes, it will be properly cleaned and taken care of.
Thanks in advance for any info!!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Looks like 1984.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

2356 rounds and it's done like dinner......unless you are shooting 110's at warp speed,...then 1048 rounds...YMMV

seriously....a 30-06 should digest thousands of rounds before barrel wear becomes an issue, especially in a hunting rifle.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmeBay View Post
I have a couple questions about my Ruger m77 30-06 bolt action.
1. What year was my rifle made? Ser# 78-06787
2. How many rounds could I expect to put through it before the barrel would be considered "worn out"? Yes, it will be properly cleaned and taken care of.
Thanks in advance for any info!!
Should be a great rifle, congrats. My Ruger has been my most used rifle for about 15 years now, its not the most accurate rifle I own, and partially due to its laminate stock its deffinatly the most heavy rifle I've owned. But being a guy who makes and fixes things for a living I like that beefy, solid, over built way that a Ruger feels. And although the first hunt of the season usually results in sore forearms (I walk all day, and only ever use the sling when I'm dragging an animal) it continues to rack up more days in the field than any other gun I own.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Great rifle. Bit on the heavy side, as mentioned, but the extra weight keeps your arms toned for tree climbing and hauling game out of the bush.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great rifle. Bit on the heavy side, as mentioned, but the extra weight keeps your arms toned for tree climbing and hauling game out of the bush.
Yeah, mine used to weigh in at about 8.5 lbs loaded... between refinishing the stock and putting on a coat of furniture wax every season somehow that's jumped up to a bit over 9. I always swore that thing was getting heavyer!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Looks like 1984.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

2356 rounds and it's done like dinner......unless you are shooting 110's at warp speed,...then 1048 rounds...YMMV

seriously....a 30-06 should digest thousands of rounds before barrel wear becomes an issue, especially in a hunting rifle.
way off ------------cooked in 2355 rounds
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM

As A CO in BC I was issued a M77 in 30-06 in 1993 that was a couple of years old. Used it until I retired in 2014. Annual qualification, quarterly accuracy targets and steady use for bear work and injured animals in all kinds of weather all year round. No idea how many rounds I shot through it but a lot - 3000+. It was still a very accurate rifle when I sadly had to turn it in. It went to a certified armorer twice in that time. Other than stripping the bolt down to clean it, no issues either time.

Tags
30-06, m77, ruger