Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Generic Resale Value of BNIB Firearms

I recently won a pretty nice firearm and am considering selling it but would like some opinions on where to price a BNIB, never fired gun vs. retail price....20% less? 30?

I've done plenty of digging but there just aren't any others of this type around to compare it with. I'd like to keep the details of the gun itself quiet until I put it on buy and sell (AO'ers will instantly know where I won it from)

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Think it depends on the firearm.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Think it depends on the firearm.
X2.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:05 PM

Benelli Ethos 12g/28" satin walnut, anodized
Old 12-08-2016, 05:00 PM

If it's a collectable, it will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay, when I sell a firearm new or very lightly used, I start at a 25% to 30% discount. Many out there try and sell their firearms for near what you can buy it for brand new, but hey to eachs own, that's their right!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassihand View Post
I recently won a pretty nice firearm and am considering selling it but would like some opinions on where to price a BNIB, never fired gun vs. retail price....20% less? 30?

I've done plenty of digging but there just aren't any others of this type around to compare it with. I'd like to keep the details of the gun itself quiet until I put it on buy and sell (AO'ers will instantly know where I won it from)

Thanks in advance

Date the item and see if you can find what its value was that production year and ask that plus what your ticket cost?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:21 PM

I just sold a BNIB Sako Finnlight in 300WSM for $2,000 plus shipping. I paid $2,250 for it 4 months ago. I've had it for sale for 2 months. I was just going to keep it if it didn't sell for $2,000. I had lots of offers in the $1,800-1,900 range.

Just an example...
Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Ethos

Looks to be selling for $2500-2700 in Canada. I checked the gunsamerica site for comparables and they seem to be higher priced in Canada with an asking price of $1800 USD which would translate to 1.30% more in Canada or $2400. I see quite a few used and new in the box asking prices of $1500 USD for used and up. I am thinking if you want to sell you could ask $2000 and take what you can get but if you want to maximize your dollar you could ask $2250 but that would limit your market to those that are actually looking for that model and actively planning a purchase to save a small amount. Myself I would take the $2000 or even $1800. as found money.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 PM

If the gun is still available in the stores, I would start at around 20% below the best in store prices. If that model is no longer available, or if it is a special edition that is quite desirable, you may get full retail, when it was last available, possibly more. If the gun doesn't sell in a reasonable time, you can always reduce the asking price.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM

I presently have a NIB rifle for sale for 30% less than retail but it really depends on the going rate for that particular firearm. The one I have for sale is current production and isn't rare or collectible but some out of production models can be sold for significantly higher than what they retailed for.
One AO member I know who shall remain anonymous recently tried to sell a current production non-collectible shotgun for 50% more than retail and I can tell you that he still has the gun today!
Without knowing what you have makes it impossible to say what a fair price really is.