Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Waterproofing Boots

Anyone have any recommendations or secrets for re-waterproofing boots? I tried a spray applied product last week but my feet still got wet over the weekend.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:26 AM

May be dependant on boot material types.. I prefer all leather (no Goretex) boots

1. Wash, Clean, Dry
2. Moisturize, I rub in shaving cream that has lanolin oil in the ingredients
3. Rub in wax, set wax in with heat gun. Repeat

This always works for me. Also I skip the fancy wax's that are $20 an ounce. and head straight for the toilet bowl wax ring; $5 and does a better job.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Default go with the real deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Anyone have any recommendations or secrets for re-waterproofing boots? I tried a spray applied product last week but my feet still got wet over the weekend.
Leather is the easiest to waterproof if the leather is treated and maintained annually. Always treat your new boots as soon as you get them home.

Used boots - get some saddle soap and clean then thoroughly. Allow to air dry and never ever apply heat.

Get some dubbin and apply with your fingers rubbing in well. Apply generously and allow to air dry for a day or two. Check for dry spots and re-apply if necessary. Be careful to not miss any leather. Ignore the advice to apply sparingly - that only applies to dress shoes. (Mink oil also works and I have used both with great success.)

If your boots leak, buy some new ones and start from scratch with treatment and care. Good boots last a long time if they are maintained.

Enjoy.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Default Boots

I clean my boots then put two coats of no wax on them.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:48 AM

I've always had good luck with these products.

http://www.obenaufs.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Good leather boots with a fully gusseted tongue work the best.
Scarpa SL Activ are my current pair and with a pair of super gaiters I can quickly wade creeks and not get wet feet.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:32 AM

On leather boots I use snow seal, anything beeswax based. I also treat my boots many, many times over a season. Always dry feet and no blisters. La Sportiva Makalus.

Sometimes I put my boots close to the fire with a heavy dose of wax and let the boots heat up and the wax softens and melts into the open pores of the leather, at least this is what I believe,

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-14-2016, 08:50 AM

I tried NEVERWET spray on a set of Irish Setters 'waterproof' boots. They were never waterproof, I would get wet feet just from walking through dew covered grass.
The NEVERWET sprays however did the job. They did however discolor the camo pattern and leave a thin white discoloration over them.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM

figure out what kind of boot material you have and then go to any hunting store and ask what they recommend.