Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Default Stands on grazing leases

What are your guys take on tree stands on greasing leases? The lease I have been hunting is a no contact required lease and I just found a tree stand that seems to have been there for awhile. I was wondering what the sort of rule was for that? Am I able to use it if no one else is in there? What are your guys take on that?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

i would t use some one else's even if s sign says go for it that's someone else's property
Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 PM

I guess if you want to take the chance of having the owner show up and get really cranked over it. That ruins everyone's day. I believe if it's not your property don't touch it.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:29 PM

What about tree stands on grazing lease in general? If it is the temporary kind, do you need a permission from the owner to put it up and than take it down afrer the season?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzolik View Post
What about tree stands on grazing lease in general? If it is the temporary kind, do you need a permission from the owner to put it up and than take it down afrer the season?
Technically...they should be removed after each outing is my understanding, unless you make arrangements with lease holder.

LC
Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 PM

So its okay to put it up for the day without permission. But if you want to put it up for the whole season you should ask for permission from the lease holder?

I guess the right thing is to ask for permission anyway. I was just curios what are the rules.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 PM

Legality aside, from an ethical point of view, if you didn't put the stand up, why do you even consider sitting in it?
Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzolik View Post
So its okay to put it up for the day without permission. But if you want to put it up for the whole season you should ask for permission from the lease holder?

I guess the right thing is to ask for permission anyway. I was just curios what are the rules.
I wouldn't. I would always discuss with the lease holder your intentions of use.

LC
Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
i would t use some one else's even if s sign says go for it that's someone else's property
Yup, not yours don't touch, set yours up, use it, when the hunt is over or season ends take it down unless lease owners says it is ok.
Respect.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-11-2016, 07:10 AM

I have several portable stands that have been permanently hanging on Crown land for as long as 10-12 years in some cases?
If I came upon you sitting in one of my stands,I'm not gonna lose my fn mind and threaten to shoot you down out of it,lol.....but I would calm and politely inform you that this is in fact my stand/personal property that I bought and paid for,then made the effort to lug out into the woods and hang in a strategically advantaged,pre-scouted area that I put a lot of legwork and boot leather into discovering and prepping.
Depending upon your attitude(and how badly I wanted to hunt MY OWN stand that day) I might concede and let you have it for the day.....or I might walk out to my truck to retrieve my chainsaw,lol.

Keep in mind,we're talking Crown land or open grazing lease/no permission required here.I'm being reasonable and accepting the fact that it's public land and I have no expectations of exclusivity,aside from the fact that I will claim my stand if I so choose?Im just happy my stands are still hanging and that you nor anybody else has stolen them.(yet)
If this was deeded or leased land where I have exclusive permission.....or at least if not exclusive,I know that you have none.....I'd be a whole lot more agitated.
FWIW,I'll be permanently hanging another 2-3 stands on Crown in the upcoming weeks ahead.As usual,they will be deployed and left in what I consider to be low theft risk areas.If you stumble upon any of them,and climb up for a few hours,enjoy the view,know that you are in a good location if I made the decision and effort to hang a stand there,good luck,and please leave it as you found it.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-11-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 PM

I totally understand everyone's point of view here. The tree stand is not a portable stand. It was built in the tree and by the looks it has been there for a long time without use. If it was a portable stand I wouldn't think twice about climbing in someone else stand but this one seams like it has not been used for a few years. I contacted fish and wildlife to see I there was any info on the lease holder and the said no use it as you wish. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on the situation. What I will probably do is just bring my ground blind in and set it up on the days I wish to hunt to avoid any confrontation. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Good conversation here. My opinion is just that, an opinion and we all know about those...

Like has been said before if it aint yours you shouldn't be playing with it. That also being said it's public land and I can understand if I put a stand in public land I am subject to all manner of stupidity up to and including theft.

I have come across several tree stands out hunting... I'll be honest the thought crossed my mind that it would provide a great advantage being able to see farther and get my scent a little higher off the ground but I never succumbed to the temptation.

Respect for the land you are on and the other people on (including their property) is not always common today. That being said it goes a long ways and people appreciate it. If a person was to use a stand it might be fun to leave a little note in a waterproof baggie and maybe enough cash for a 6 pack saying thanks.

Safe hunting guys.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 AM

I agree that if its your stand, then use it for you and your pals since it was the effort of those that put it up,,, if folks are interested in tree stand Harvesting, then take the time to put yours up where ever you want.

I ain't never nor will attempt to get close to others stands since it has nothing to do with me with in the crowd lands I harvest from.

Ethical and respectful way to act on my part, along with pals I share the view of.

Our fellow brothers and sisters take kind too this since it allows them the freedom to know that "we/I" respect their efforts to harvests from the work they put into getting things set up for them selves.

Pal Don glad to share in what could benefit us all in good times ahead.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I totally understand everyone's point of view here. The tree stand is not a portable stand. It was built in the tree and by the looks it has been there for a long time without use. If it was a portable stand I wouldn't think twice about climbing in someone else stand but this one seams like it has not been used for a few years. I contacted fish and wildlife to see I there was any info on the lease holder and the said no use it as you wish. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on the situation. What I will probably do is just bring my ground blind in and set it up on the days I wish to hunt to avoid any confrontation. Thanks for all the advice.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I thought it was safe and offered a good location. A lumber built stand, on crown land, placed in a tree years ago, does not belong to anyone in perpetuity. Nor does the location belong to anyone. As you say, I would treat a portable stand differently.......by not using it. The idea and belief that the location is owned by someone else disturbs me more than the belief a lumber tree stand on crown land is owned in perpetuity. It's akin to random camping.................lets put my trailer down in this prime location in April and keep it there through November........the Alberta entitlement at work.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I have several portable stands that have been permanently hanging on Crown land for as long as 10-12 years in some cases?
If I came upon you sitting in one of my stands,I'm not gonna lose my fn mind and threaten to shoot you down out of it,lol.....but I would calm and politely inform you that this is in fact my stand/personal property that I bought and paid for,then made the effort to lug out into the woods and hang in a strategically advantaged,pre-scouted area that I put a lot of legwork and boot leather into discovering and prepping.
Depending upon your attitude(and how badly I wanted to hunt MY OWN stand that day) I might concede and let you have it for the day.....or I might walk out to my truck to retrieve my chainsaw,lol.

Keep in mind,we're talking Crown land or open grazing lease/no permission required here. I'm being reasonable and accepting the fact that it's public land and I have no expectations of exclusivity,aside from the fact that I will claim my stand if I so choose?I'm just happy my stands are still hanging and that you nor anybody else has stolen them.(yet)
If this was deeded or leased land where I have exclusive permission.....or at least if not exclusive,I know that you have none.....I'd be a whole lot more agitated.
FWIW,I'll be permanently hanging another 2-3 stands on Crown in the upcoming weeks ahead.As usual,they will be deployed and left in what I consider to be low theft risk areas.If you stumble upon any of them,and climb up for a few hours,enjoy the view,know that you are in a good location if I made the decision and effort to hang a stand there,good luck,and please leave it as you found it.
Maybe you are the owner of a portable stand that has been hung in a tree in my hunting area unused for at least 8 years, the bark is growing around the straps. I won't use the stand but am planning on putting one within 25 yds of it as I have had enough of being polite and considerate of the owner and deferring hunting the area I've been wanting to hunt for years because of that stand being there. My courtesy has limits. You're saying that it is okay for others to use your stand will still discourage conscientious polite hunters but not hunters who are considerate of others who would rather avoid a possible confrontation should the owner actually show up while they are hunting there.
Not sure what the rules are in Alberta but many jusridictions you have to remove treestands at the end of the season or they are considered abandoned and subject to being destroyed.

Last edited by Bushrat; 09-12-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Maybe you are the owner of a portable stand that has been hung in a tree in my hunting area unused for at least 8 years, the bark is growing around the straps. I won't use the stand but am planning on putting one within 25 yds of it as I have had enough of being polite and considerate of the owner and deferring hunting the area I've been wanting to hunt for years because of that stand being there. My courtesy has limits. You're saying that it is okay for others to use your stand will still discourage conscientious polite hunters but not hunters who are considerate of others who would rather avoid a possible confrontation should the owner actually show up while they are hunting there.
Not sure what the rules are in Alberta but many jusridictions you have to remove treestands at the end of the season or they are considered abandoned and subject to being destroyed.
Nope,not mine,I've only lived in AB for 5 years....and none of my stands have bark growing over the straps,not even on the few that have been hanging in NB for 10+ years.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 PM

So is it all right to wait at the ladder that goes up to the tree stand or a person can't wait near it at all.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 AM

If guy's are serious about hunting they buy a stand, scout an area, climb a tree, cut limbs...hunt! I have some old pallet stands in one of my spots, I'd be scared to climb up there with fear of it collapsing anyways. Hunting is a lot of work, but not everyone wants to put the time in.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:29 AM

I have no problem putting in the time the miles the hikes has nothing to do with the easy way to do things at all. I have scouted lots of places found a place that has lots of activity do decided to hunt there. Seen a stand that hasn't been used so wanted to know people's opnion on it. But please tell me why I would go and buy a stand for potentially someone to steal it when there is a stand pre built in a tree that hasn't been used. Please explain to me how that's taking the easy way and not wanting to put in the work??
Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM

I will no longer use a prebuilt stand, I have in the past when it was clear the stand was abandoned...I don't trust someone else's handiwork to make sure I stay safe in the tree. Better off installing your own stand in the area do you KNOW it's setup correctly.

LC
Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I agree with this 100%. There's a small stand of trees I've had my eyes on for a few years now, it has a portable stand in it and out of respect I've stayed clear. I have no way of knowing if the stand ever gets any use, and fear that it just sits there, thus wasting what I think is a great spot.

Frustrating.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM

All stands on crown land must be taken down after the hunting season is over. This is a problem which F&W is trying to crack down on. They need us as hunters to report such stands, so they can investigate and if left behind will be considered abandoned and will be destroyed. I could care less what the practices are in NB, in ALBERTA they are to be taken down. I for one, am trying to teach my kids the proper way of doing things, from the ethical side. When we hunt crown land and find a stand, we leave the area out of respect for the individual who hung the stand. When we go snowmobiling and find the stand still there in Feb. my kids question why it's still there. I tell them that the guy got busy with work or it was to wet to get to or some excuse to justify why it's still there. Not anymore, I will be reporting these stands to F&W. I usually go with the flow, turn a blind eye etc. etc. but previous comments on this subject ticked me off and no more. Thanks for listening to my rant, but I'm tired of guys that aren't from Alberta doing what they want when they want and ruining opportunities for the rest of us.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I thought it was safe and offered a good location. A lumber built stand, on crown land, placed in a tree years ago, does not belong to anyone in perpetuity. Nor does the location belong to anyone. As you say, I would treat a portable stand differently.......by not using it. The idea and belief that the location is owned by someone else disturbs me more than the belief a lumber tree stand on crown land is owned in perpetuity. It's akin to random camping.................lets put my trailer down in this prime location in April and keep it there through November........the Alberta entitlement at work.
I agree with this - it is Crown land.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Very well said CNP, my thoughts exactly. nothing like having an area that you have hunted for years, only to have a stand pop up one season and have that person "claim" that area for their exclusive use just because they hung a stand.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I have no problem putting in the time the miles the hikes has nothing to do with the easy way to do things at all. I have scouted lots of places found a place that has lots of activity do decided to hunt there. Seen a stand that hasn't been used so wanted to know people's opnion on it. But please tell me why I would go and buy a stand for potentially someone to steal it when there is a stand pre built in a tree that hasn't been used. Please explain to me how that's taking the easy way and not wanting to put in the work??
I guess i'll explain further, I wouldn't want someone in my stand that i put work/time/money into. As far as an old homemade stand I may have built 20 years ago? Fill your boots, just saying I personally wouldn't trust it to not cause an untimely broken back..