Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Default Suffield youth partner

Hey all, I've been drawn for 1st season at Suffield and want to take my daughter along. I've been assured by the Edm head office that I can partner up with my daughter so she can "possibly" shoot the elk. However the Medicine Hat office says this is incorrect. Has anyone since inception of the on the base hunt partnered up with a youth? I'm getting conflicting reviews and don't want to take her out of school for this, if she isn't legally allowed to shoot an elk. Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Page 18 in the regs..
3. Resident hunters successful in drawing a Special Licence in any of the other Draws may designate one eligible resident youth (12 to 17 years of age) to be a partner on their Special Licence.

So answer to your question is yes as long as she is between the age of 12 and under 17..

Jim...
Old 09-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Thanks Jim. Read that. As did the fish wildlife office in the Hat. Yet they differ in opinions from edm head office. Looking more for some input from someone thats "been there/done that". Being that it is on the base. Some feel the rules in our alberta regs. Dont always apply to the base. Being governed by other regulations. Hopefully someone thats been on this hunt previously, and used the youth partner tag can chime in. Thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Banned

I'm sure you would be able to find something there seems to be a lot of suffield threads on the culling of the elk
Old 09-09-2016, 04:29 PM

Default Elk

My 12 year old son was my partner on tag last year with no problems.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:18 PM

Regs are very clear. It's strange that someone might tell you otherwise, but your situation is exactly what the partner rule is for.

But read the Suffield threads, and read hundreds of posts especially last year's. There are as many opinions as there are hunters, but Suffield hunts require you to shoot promptly and far - I'd assume 300 yards minimum and perhaps up to 350 for a good shot (just my opinion). Your youngster is unlikely to have the skills to get the shot off in the time required or to be as accurate as needed under all the unusual conditions you will meet there.

I'd strongly discourage it.

I also now fear that that a hunter will get shot. There is such a density of shooters out there that the sheer numbers and proximity increase the odds of a bad shot. Note also that hunters range in ethics and skills and when you put us all in a small area, the few at the bottom of the curve affect more than would be noticed in the field generally. Suffield is a place I would never take my child, ever.

I have been there and have had friends there every year.

Don't take her. Please.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 PM

One vehicle last year was shot...confirmed, not a rumour. I agree, not a place to take a new Hunter IMHO.

LC
Old 09-10-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
One vehicle last year was shot...confirmed, not a rumour. I agree, not a place to take a new Hunter IMHO.

LC
don't paint all new hunters with the same brush there are unsafe and unskilled people of every age.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:39 PM

I think it's a high risk hunt for adults but at least they're able to assess this for themselves. As a parent, we make these decisions for our children, and you and your wife will never ever recover should your daughter get injured. Don't place her at risk no matter how small because the consequence is too severe.

Once you've assessed this for yourself, you can always have someone bring her down for the final two days of the hunt, the safer days. But until you've seen it, it's not believable. Even the last two days are too risky for me.

Take her on a normal hunt. Make it leisurely and fun. Teach her properly. This hunt could turn her off.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt hntr View Post
don't paint all new hunters with the same brush there are unsafe and unskilled people of every age.
I don't think that he was insinuating that a new hunter shot the vehicle.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You misunderstood...I am saying a new Hunter could possibly have a tainted experience, not that they are causing the issue.

LC
Old 09-10-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't think that he was insinuating that a new hunter shot the vehicle.
didn't mean too come across like he had meant that. sorry if it was taken that way. just keep in mind that a age does not prove a skill level. we need to find ways too get our youth out there and pass on the sport of hunting. if it's not a safe hunt for a youth then it isn't a safe hunt for anybody.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:05 AM

Well I'm a new hunter. Big game anyway. I can pop a coyote at 3-400yards no problem. But I don't really understand the total nuance to big game hunting. I was working up north for the last decade and had no time to get into this.
No disrespect meant. But for me I wouldn't even want to go on this hunt. A, possibly getting shot sucks.B, I don't really know how I would react when taking a shot at my first big game target. I wouldn't want my nerves doing somersaults when I got to make a rushed 350 yard shot. And the absolute last thing I would want to do is pull a shot, and hit that white Ford I didn't see behind it because My nerves where going.
I'm going hunting, but I wouldn't like the idea of this being my first hunt. Just my 2 cents. And not starting an argument. Just I don't ever want to put myself in a position where I could accidentally hurt someone due to my lack of experience.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
Thanks Jim. Read that. As did the fish wildlife office in the Hat. Yet they differ in opinions from edm head office. Looking more for some input from someone thats "been there/done that". Being that it is on the base. Some feel the rules in our alberta regs. Dont always apply to the base. Being governed by other regulations. Hopefully someone thats been on this hunt previously, and used the youth partner tag can chime in. Thanks
Then the fish cops don't know why some guys don't respect them.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
didn't mean too come across like he had meant that. sorry if it was taken that way. just keep in mind that a age does not prove a skill level. we need to find ways too get our youth out there and pass on the sport of hunting. if it's not a safe hunt for a youth then it isn't a safe hunt for anybody.
\Having actually been on the Suffield base last fall for a hunt, I witnessed several incidents involving illegal/unsafe behavior and from what I could see, young hunters were not the offenders, and it wasn't limited to males either.