Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Default Duck Hunting from a Floating Blind/Duck Boat

Does anyone use floating blinds/duck boats here in Alberta? I am and experienced waterfowler and big game hunter but new to Alberta. I can see why everyone focuses on field hunting but being out on the water is always better.

Can you use a floating blind in say Frank Lake or say the Bow River out towards Brooks?

Always will to learn, thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 PM

I often hunt out of my little river kayak in larger sloughs. Never got on any seriously big water due to the fact that it paddles like a soaking wet log.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-08-2016, 06:44 PM

Default dont know about Frank Lake

but many of the larger water bodies and main rivers including the Bow are closed to hunting until after November 1st. think they are considered roosts for migrators. I was surprized many years ago to find even some manmade resevoirs were closed until November. Blood Indian
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 PM

Thank you that is good to know. You would think Frank Lake should be ok as there is already hunting there from the shore.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Smile Be very Careful

During the migration from the East in the 1970's we had a number of very sad fatalities. The boys were in a boat with decoys on Eagle lake, just like Ontario and the wind started to get up, the hunting got fabulous. In a minute or two with ducks everywhere trying to get down the boys had left it too long.

The both died.

We don't want that with you. After you have been here for a while you'll see hunting them over the prairie is the way to go. No cripples (not many anyway) the crash kills them, easier to set up, you can use your truck, and now days you don't need pits.

With luck you can shoot geese. You don't need a dog.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Default Water hunting

I used to use a canoe and it was great fun, wear a life jacket always and stay warm. When it gets windy head for shore, I love hunting on the water and there's no more danger than any other kind of boating.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 PM

There are 100s of DU and EID properties you can gain access to. Lots of small pocket water to hunt with small watercraft. I agree that waterfowling over water is the way to go for ducks. It's not an 'eastern' or 'western' thing. We just have a few folks that think the only way to fish for trout is with dry flies and mallards must be shot over stubble. You aren't going to shoot many scaup or cans over pea stubble lol.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 10:28 PM

I personally will take water over a land field every day, I love the hide, the ride, and watching a dog work in water to see them dive under the water to get a ird gives me goose bumps

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 PM

Contact the county of Newell at Brooks. You can get a map of the EID. A waiver will need to be signed. http://www.eid.ca/

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
I personally will take water over a land field every day, I love the hide, the ride, and watching a dog work in water to see them dive under the water to get a ird gives me goose bumps
X2 or 3? I have a full blind on my 17 ft jon and have no interest in field hunting. The dogs absolutely love the water and I love watching them.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:13 AM

I hunt them out of a kayak. Thinking about getting more serious and taking the aluminum boat out with decoys when I get extra shooters and then I'll use the kayak to retrieve. I can't wait, end of November I get my Springer spaniel pup!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
X2 or 3? I have a full blind on my 17 ft jon and have no interest in field hunting. The dogs absolutely love the water and I love watching them.
I love hunting the water far more than fields .
Done it out of permanent blinds ,jons . Canoes , tinners , and even my jet!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-11-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 AM

I prefer the fields. Easier to stay dry and I can hunt with old boys. That said over water has never been a bad time.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you Densa44 for the concern and warning. I am from Ontario and I am use to hunting the Great Lakes, so I know what you mean about the weather and wind and have notice how fast and strong the wind does come up here. I have an 18' Jon boat and blind and a lab as well. I just love watching the birds splash down and then the dog work. I am also not against sitting in a dry field on a windy day either but prefer the water. I will definitely look into the EID.

It also seems the Bow river is only closed until Nov. 1st above Hwy. 24 until Calgary. I will have to double check that unless someone knows for sure.

Good hunting!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Just a regulation clarification,,, you may hunt from a boat propelled by muscular power,,, or from any boat that is at anchor...

So can you turn the motor off and use your oars to propel / handle / float down a river and then hunt?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I love hunting the water far more than fields .
Done it out of permanent blinds ,jons . Canoes , tinners , and even my jet!
Cat
Young fellow brought this beast home. Crazier than a bag of hammers but lots of fun on the water or in the bush. Nothing like a Chessy pup to test one's nervous system.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-11-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Young fellow brought this beast home. Crazier than a bag of hammers but lots of fun on the water or in the bush. Nothing like a Chessy pup to test one's nervous system.

[IMG][/IMG]
Yup , when you get a good one you still get a stubborn one!!
Danged tough dogs though!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
Good lookin dog Mike..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
Good lookin dog Mike..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Nice chessie! As fellow chessie owner, gotta love em when they're keen to retrieve. Just don't be standing up in the boat if they are in the process of leaping out to get a bird. If they set the boat to rocking, you might get pretty wet!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:13 PM

He is not mine ( I'm a Lab guy) I just cant leave him behind when heading out. Every time He does something crazy (pretty much constantly) the labs are looking for a place to hide thinking I am going to lose it.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Do you guys that hunt water run your dogs right up to freeze up?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2016, 05:48 PM

We used to hint the labs pretty late , just not as hard , easy for them to get hypothermia because they don't know when to stop - same as any working or sporting dog, be it a hound ,pointer or retriever !
Cat
Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Nice looking Chessie!!! You can run a Chessie in water with icebergs. They love it. If a Lab sees ice, they will shake like they are crapping razorblades. They necessarily belong at home in front of the fire or very near a hot air register curled up with the cat where it is warm!!!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
You can run a Chessie in water with ice floes. They love it. If a Lab sees ice they will start to shake like they are crapping razorblades. They necessarily belong at home in front of the fire or very near a hot air register curled up with the cat where it is warm!!!!!

Cat
Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Nice looking Chessie!!! You can run a Chessie in water with icebergs. They love it. If a Lab sees ice, they will shake like they are crapping razorblades. They necessarily belong at home in front of the fire or very near a hot air register curled up with the cat where it is warm!!!!!
Shots fired!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM

Default Big Papi still King of the Duck Blind

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Ooooh!! This is gonna get good!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Default Maybe it is just a coincidence

but I find the best chessie trainers are usually bald. Saves them from pulling it all out or maybe that is what caused it in the first place and they keep buying them hoping to get a good one??
Old 09-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
but I find the best chessie trainers are usually bald. Saves them from pulling it all out or maybe that is what caused it in the first place and they keep buying them hoping to get a good one??
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I find that a lot of Chessie owners tend to ask lab owners why they decided t by one.
The answer is generally something like " You tell me, went for a good breed of retriever"
Cat