Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Sincere thanks

A big hearty thank you for tackling this. I used the original version at SPFG and found that it worked remarkably well.

I admit to feeling some guilt about it, though: there was only one, and more than one shooter - so I felt a bit selfish setting it up by my bench. It would be great to have these between every pair of benches if $$$ allows it.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM

We now have three units on the Big Bore and plan for two on the Overflow. That will likely be it for this year, but we can budget for a few more in 2017. There has already been one suggestion that they be provided between each bench. Surprisingly, the Ranges have not been very busy to date in spite of the fact that SPFGA now has about 5000 Range Members.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:15 PM

I shot at a range in west Texas a coupe of years ago that used plexi for deflectors, and they had a different take on the design. They'd had some drawer slides mounted on the bench surface, and had a "V" shaped piece of plexi mounted, with the point of the "V" pointing downrange. the angle between the two sides was maybe 35-40degrees, and stood about 24 inches above the bench-top.

They slid forward & back along the drawer glides, and could be positioned so that the muzzle & brake were forward of the edge of the plexi. The angle pushed the concussion forward & out to the sides well clear of the bench, and gave the plexi lots of stability & strength. the sides were only about 18in. deep, so they didn't intrude on the shooting positions, and could be pushed all the way forward and be out of the way but still deflecting concussion from longer barrel rifles. I wish I'd taken photos of them; it was a really slick set-up
Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 AM

I saw these at the range. The look nice but I don't think they really do anything. Sigh... we really need suppressors.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 AM

The purpose is to reduce the effect of the brake compression wave on the adjacent shooter, not to reduce sound. I have used them many times and they do work. Interesting to watch next to some of the big bangers which will cause the bottom to swing several inches.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The purpose is to reduce the effect of the brake compression wave on the adjacent shooter, not to reduce sound. I have used them many times and they do work. Interesting to watch next to some of the big bangers which will cause the bottom to swing several inches.
Oh I get their purpose... I was shooting next to a guy with a brake and it didn't make a bit of difference. They need to extend out past the firing line to work.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
Oh I get their purpose... I was shooting next to a guy with a brake and it didn't make a bit of difference. They need to extend out past the firing line to work.
The deflector is between the adjacent shooter and the offending muzzle. Pressure waves travel in a straight line. If you don't think they work, remove them and let others use them or donate a version of your own.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:28 AM

They work very well. Shot beside a braked Lapua and it definitely makes a difference. Thanks to those that did the work.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 PM

How about a brake shield that attaches to the brake, deflects the concussion and noise downrange

Brake Concussion Deflector

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-brake-shield/

I would buy one of these I hope they catch on.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:40 PM

Thanks for posting this awesome idea, now we too can add to our range as well.

Don
Old 10-17-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
Look at Post #11 for a reference regarding placement...properly set, they will work for you and the concussion wave will not blow your hat off or move stuff on your bench.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
How about a brake shield that attaches to the brake, deflects the concussion and noise downrange

Brake Concussion Deflector

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-brake-shield/

I would buy one of these I hope they catch on.
Looks like a great idea.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Thanks to Fish_e_o for making another two frames ... Plexi is installed/painted and they are now hanging in the OVERFOW Range.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM

I found that even with a non braked rifle it made a noticeable difference. I was surprised on how much it reduced the concussion from a 243 that was next to me.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Great idea! Going to have some of these made!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I found that even with a non braked rifle it made a noticeable difference. I was surprised on how much it reduced the concussion from a 243 that was next to me.
it seems like people really like them. everyone seems to grab it and put it next to me when i go there so i've started just grabbing it right off the bat
Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Bump this so other ranges can find it easy and copy this great solution to blast from brakes.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Like it

Very good job, and good research too! I'm going to have to bring this up at my own range - a bit to the west of you guys (Victoria Fish & Game Protective Ass'n)

TargetRick
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Update on project spreading

FYI, I emailed about this to the Victoria Fish & Game Protective Association, and am now in charge of preparing a two-page summary for their next meeting.

Good project.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Hey guys~I'm not on this forum all the time, so I just noticed this thread. Great idea too, because I don't have/use brakes...but have nearly had my hat blown off a few times. Last time @ a public range..I was between 2 guys with SVT-40s trying to burn through a crate of ammo...but mostly blowing big chunks of frozen mud in the air. That might have been the goal now that I think of it. lol

Chiming-in for this reason though~I've been working in the custom fabrication business nearly 30 years, and plastic something I have a ton of experience with. The "Plexi" being referred to here is likely clear acrylic sheet, and costs on even that stuff vary whether or not it's extruded or cast material. Not always by allot either, but worth asking. I also wanted to mention that acrylic probably isn't the best material to begin with, as it lacks the impact resistance that other, very similar plastics have. When temperatures really drop, acrylic is most likely to break on impact as well. It's least tolerant to solvents, including even the tiny amounts of ammonia in things as tame as Windex.

There are other options, but for price...you should consider PETG (usually called "pet-G" when talking to suppliers). It's a form of polyester, and this family of plastics is used allot for food packaging, including things like 2L pop bottles. (see how tough that is for being a few thou. thick!) Comparable in price, fully recyclable, higher impact resistance, more tolerant with solvents, etc. Suppliers here can usually offer "virgin" material, or "utility" (made from recycled) if you want to save some money. Cooperative to work with like acrylic.

Moving up from there, a material called polycarbonate (sometimes called "Lexan"). Highest impact resistance, but costs a premium...and can be more challenging to work with if you're not set-up properly. It doesn't mind being routered mostly, but your saw blade has to be correct...and you can't let things get too warm.

Since you guys are looking at basically flat panels, any of these would work. If you had to glue anything to them, glue the same material to itself, heat bend, etc..there are other considerations, but no need to expand on those. There are very few plastics that don't deteriorate with UV over time too, so if practical...leave it out of the sun. Or mostly. Some plastics are called "UV" but my experience with those is mostly mixed, and if you talk to an honest plastic supplier...they don't tend to oversell the effectiveness, especially when paying a premium for it.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:48 PM

For the ones we have at SPFGA ... 1/4” plexi was ordered ...cut to size ... from Crystal Glass. The frames were made with about 1/8” clearance on each side. Assembly was to lay the frame flat / put a “spacer” under the plexi to get it centered inside the width of the band / apply painters tape to the outside perimeter of the plexi (about 1/4” from the edge) / run a bead of silicone. Next day, turn the unit over and apply silicone to the other side. Paint.
They have been in use now for 3 years. Since the sheds are covered, they have not discolored by sunlight. Freeze/thaw cycles, repositioning by shooters ... has not resulted in the need for any repairs or maintenance.
NOTE: We also make “brass deflector screens” available ...same principle as the “concussion deflectors” except made of stiff 1/2” X 1” cage wire. Semi-auto shooters position them to keep brass from entering the space of the shooter at the next bench. Also a bonus as it makes it easier for those shooters to collect their spent cases.
I have bumped the original brass screen thread ... in use since 2014.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 08-30-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 PM

Looks great to me.

Just not leaving the range with a headache from the concision and a backache from bending over to pick up your hat every second shot from the neighbor would be worth it .....

Good idea.

I also like the idea of it potentially deflecting ejected shells so the hot little flyers don't find the opening in your collar and end up sliding down your shirt ..... had that one happen ...... lol