Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default Elbow River Cutthroats & Rainbows

Last Friday afternoon I had some free time so I decided to do a quick trip to the Elbow River west of Calgary. The weather was spectacular and there is no better way to spend a sunny and warm afternoon than to go fishing.

Dry fly fishing the Elbow River can be a little difficult but the Cutthroats and Rainbows are there waiting for something to float by to eat. You just have to hike up the river and find them.

I had several strikes that afternoon on the dry fly and managed to catch 4 nice fish. You can see all my photos and read all about it on my blog website:

http://flyfishingexplorer.com/advent...oats-rainbows/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elbow River Rainbow.jpg (88.8 KB, 572 views)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Nice fish elbow hasn't been that kind to me this year
Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

Yes the Elbow River west of Calgary can be a difficult stream to fish because of all the pressure it receives in the summer.

However if you can find the fish they are willing to strike at dry flies. This is especially true in the fall when they are getting ready for the long winter.

There are also some Brook Trout in the Elbow. Check out the one I caught in late August.

Tight lines,

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brook Trout.jpg (79.7 KB, 526 views)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
Last Friday afternoon I had some free time so I decided to do a quick trip to the Elbow River west of Calgary. The weather was spectacular and there is no better way to spend a sunny and warm afternoon than to go fishing.

Dry fly fishing the Elbow River can be a little difficult but the Cutthroats and Rainbows are there waiting for something to float by to eat. You just have to hike up the river and find them.

I had several strikes that afternoon on the dry fly and managed to catch 4 nice fish. You can see all my photos and read all about it on my blog website:

http://flyfishingexplorer.com/advent...oats-rainbows/
Old 10-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yes the Elbow River west of Calgary can be a difficult stream to fish because of all the pressure it receives in the summer.

However if you can find the fish they are willing to strike at dry flies. This is especially true in the fall when they are getting ready for the long winter.

There are also some Brook Trout in the Elbow. Check out the one I caught in late August.

Tight lines,

Nick
That's a brown, not a brookie. Just a FYI.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 PM

There are some huge bull trout in there as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 PM

great job, nice healthy looking fish! what dries have they been biting on recently?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Tight lines,

Nick
Uh...looks like a brown to me too...
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

You are right that was a Brown. I have attached the correct picture below.

The Elbow River has all types of trout and even Rockies.

My favorite fly is the Adams Irresistable because it floats well in the fast water and Cutts can't resist it this time of year.

See photos below.

Enjoy the weekend!

N
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brook Trout.jpg (102.9 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg Adams Irresistable.jpg (15.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:

My favorite fly is the Adams Irresistable because it floats well in the fast water and Cutts can't resist it this time of year.

See photos below.

Enjoy the weekend!

N
Thank you for the information, I've always looked past elbow, thinking it was an unproductive river. I'm yet to try it. Enjoy the weekend out on the water!
Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:

See photos below.

Enjoy the weekend!

N
That looks like a little bullie
Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 PM

Not even close!! Check the dorsal fin!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhead View Post
That looks like a little bullie

-Confucius
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01 AM

Nice! I was out that way a couple weeks ago pulling them outta the log jams too. First trip on that river and gotta say it looks to have some solid zones. Quick solid solid day for you!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not even close!! Check the dorsal fin!!!!!!
And the markings along the back. Definitely a brookie.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM

This is the reason why we have catch and release streams only. Join the stewardship program learn how to identify trout correctly. It can be tough especially when you get hybreds and young trout with their par marks.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Where do you go in to access the logjams? I went in a Beaver Flats yesterday and got skunked....didn't see any movement at all.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Thumbs up Logjams

Lots of jams just west of Calgary within the city limits and just outside put some miles in and discover for yourself.....you may find some secret brookie stashes of your own keep in mind brookies like slower water....ie side channels
Old 08-24-2017, 11:51 AM

Old thread, but didn't feel the need to start a new one.

Despite the FIL laughing at me and a buddy for heading up the Elbow (We were
camping at Mclean Creek anyways), We decided to give it a go. If anything it was a beauty day to go for a hike, and practice some casting.

Drove a ways up, then hiked up a bit.

We found a nice big rock, with a deep pool around it, so figured it was a good place to start. My first fish on a fly rod on a river. We had to other good size ones too. So I believe in the Elbow River haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1367.JPG (181.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
My first fish on a fly rod on a river. We had to other good size ones too. So I believe in the Elbow River haha
what a beauty fish!! looks like he's been sitting there for a couple years. congrats
Old 08-24-2017, 02:00 PM

The elbow definitely doesn't have as much action as most other mountain rivers, but that doesn't mean there's none

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Nice fish. Has anyone ever fished the river inside Calgary? I wonder about it every time I drive McLeod Trail over it.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Old thread, but didn't feel the need to start a new one.

Despite the FIL laughing at me and a buddy for heading up the Elbow (We were
camping at Mclean Creek anyways), We decided to give it a go. If anything it was a beauty day to go for a hike, and practice some casting.

Drove a ways up, then hiked up a bit.

We found a nice big rock, with a deep pool around it, so figured it was a good place to start. My first fish on a fly rod on a river. We had to other good size ones too. So I believe in the Elbow River haha
Welcome to the addiction. That is a nice fish---as nice a fish you will find anywhere in the SW rivers.

If you need a picture, you need to treat these fish with some reverence. If you dropped that fish, it is very likely you will kill it.

In the future, keep the fish in the water. Get everything ready to take the picture, then lift the fish a few centimetres out of the water to the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFj5QvvZuSA
Old 08-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Banned

Some nice fish but that one posted as a Brookie is the strangest Brookie I have ever seen? Brookies don't have black spotting nor do they resemble the fish in that picture in the least!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
And the markings along the back. Definitely a brookie.
It sure looks alot like a Brookie but it doesn't have the pink and blue halos. Even in waters where they are faint and silvery those pink and blue halos are there.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Welcome to the addiction. That is a nice fish---as nice a fish you will find anywhere in the SW rivers.

If you need a picture, you need to treat these fish with some reverence. If you dropped that fish, it is very likely you will kill it.

In the future, keep the fish in the water. Get everything ready to take the picture, then lift the fish a few centimetres out of the water to the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFj5QvvZuSA

Ditto. The last few years I'd made a big effort to wet my hands before touching a fish, keeping it in the water for the extraction of the fly (if possible) and then not keeping it out of the water for more than a max of 5 seconds for a picture. I've noticed the fish have an easier time recovering and swim off a lot faster. Fish have a hard enough time without humans.

I've read that the Elbow River isn't worth fishing. Look's like that's not the case. Looks beautiful there.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Some nice fish but that one posted as a Brookie is the strangest Brookie I have ever seen? Brookies don't have black spotting nor do they resemble the fish in that picture in the least!
I think the red is growing in still... but thats about as brookie as it gets -slight hybrid mutation causing for tiger looking pattern possibly.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal488 View Post
I think the red is growing in still... but thats about as brookie as it gets -slight hybrid mutation causing for tiger looking pattern possibly.
The first picture OP posted is a brown trout. The second one is a brook trout.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Ditto. The last few years I'd made a big effort to wet my hands before touching a fish, keeping it in the water for the extraction of the fly (if possible) and then not keeping it out of the water for more than a max of 5 seconds for a picture. I've noticed the fish have an easier time recovering and swim off a lot faster. Fish have a hard enough time without humans.

I simply don't bother photographing them. I know what a fish looks like, and my family and friends believe me if I say I caught one. Aaaaand I rarely catch monsters. LOL