Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Where would you go for 10-14 days if you could.. And why??
Costa Rica 13 31.71%
Hawaii 16 39.02%
Belize 9 21.95%
Dominican Republic 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Four destininations you can vacation...

So... Looking at four one of four of these destinations for fun in the sun this winter for 10-14 days

Never been to any one ove them, but know a lot of you folks have.

Abit about us, son is 16, daughter is 14, we love the water, snorkelling, kayaking.... We've laid around resorts pretty much, well we did tours and such, but just want to hear some good, some bad experiences...

We have always explored out of resorts, took in the culture, sights, etc.
Like beach day, explore day, beach day... You get the picture...

Tell me some thoughts if you wish... Can't wait to hear...

Thx all!!!!

Last edited by hayseed; 10-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 PM

We went to Hawaii for 10 days and rented a condo from
http://www.vrbo.com/
We went to costco and stocked up on food and BOOZE when we arrived but we really enjoyed going to the local markets for groceries.
We rented a jeep and toured the island (Oahu). If this is something your interested in doing take a look at the north shore, its really nice and the beaches are great. If your looking for a little more rustic area try the west side its very dry and no tourist, touristy area south (Honolulu) and tropical with locals east. Enjoyed cooking our own meals but an all inclusive vacation is the way to go if you dont wanna deal with that.
Beaches Turks and Caicos is also a GREAT place to visit....16 restaurants and 19 bars, but cost lots of $$$$$$
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 PM

I've done Hawaii many times, for us it's easier every time we go. I am going to try Costa Rica in days. I am all pumped up with vaccines and ready to rock!! Also first time traveling w/o kids in about 7 years.

If I were you I would take some time and research all of your destinations and pick out the ten best things and align them with what your into.

IF I had to pick, from what you have described.
If you haven't been to Hawaii I would say to rent a condo or a house just west of Waikiki. Plenty to do with your family especially at that age. I can suggest 3 wicked day trips if your intrested.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Banned

Cool

Belize best fishing and its part of the common wealth .
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM

I liked Costa Rica lots to see and do without being totally overrun with yahoos, Hawaii is okay but not my fave, one of my siblings lived there for 5 years so it's nice been there a few but it gets old. Never been to Belize. Dominican is fine your dollars go a long way, but as far as all inclusives go I would go Mexico over DR.
Depends on what you want to do though right! Any destination is as fun as you make it. I like to party on vacay so I like almost anywhere.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Hawaii ..........english speaking first world country. Enough reason for me
Old 10-26-2013, 12:46 AM

Hawaii....groceries are 1/4 the cost of here , you can fish for free, People speak the same language, and canadian dollar is pretty much the same. If you are away from the tourist Zones its pretty much the easygoing alberta rural attitude will win you over with the locals. ps I am not an all inclusive resort person...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Hawaii....groceries are 1/4 the cost of here , you can fish for free, People speak the same language, and canadian dollar is pretty much the same. If you are away from the tourist Zones its pretty much the easygoing alberta rural attitude will win you over with the locals. ps I am not an all inclusive resort person...
same except groceries, Oahu was expensive. We (4 of us) went for 8, then 14, then 18 days, going in Feb for a month (2 of us)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 AM

hawaii bcuz it is beautiful there and i love it !!! would go there again any day
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckchick View Post
hawaii bcuz it is beautiful there and i love it !!! would go there again any day
Exactly!

As my son says...... Mom hurry up and win the lottery so we can move to hawaii!

My reasons.

1. Oahu - Lovely island, very diverse. You have the heavily populated areas and the remote areas. Never felt threatened or unsafe when wandering around. Easy enough to go park your behind on a beach and enjoy a day of swimming/snorkeling. Lots of amazing beaches you can check out.
we have done afternoon fishing trips (best of fridays so you can see the fireworks too - added bonus). we have explored the island and I feel I could easily spend another 1-2 years on that island alone before we see everything.
The meal options are great, you can eat out every day or you can easily grab groceries and cook at your condotel if you go that route. I personally love the condotel option as I find places with BBQ and such as you can save so much money that way.

2. Maui - Breezy! I found the island very breezy the whole time we are there. We loved the island, but a much slower pace....almost a retirement pace. Our condotel there we were by far the youngest people. We loved how they had potluck dinners and welcomed us. Stinky got to learn about the conch blowing traditions and what not. The winter whales breeding outside our window was amazing. Mostly 2 lane roads, no need for speed.....
Diverse landscape and beach scapes. we would drive around and check out the different areas and play on different beaches.
Again safe..... never felt out of place or threatened.

3. Lanai - we only had the opportunity to day trip here and what we saw of this TINY island was beautiful. I would love to explore it more.

4. Kona - got cancelled we need to go there yet and explore the volcano and the diversity that is this island.

I have done these trips with 1 - 3 kids. The kids love it and dont feel unsafe, no worry about water or food being unsafe as we arent in some filthy 3rd world country where we need a pile of shots before we go to keep us from being ill.

Last edited by FishingMOM; 10-26-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM

Sounds like Hawaii is the right fit for the stages of life and activity levels in your family.

You can research it without even going to your computer.

Just watch a few old episodes of"Dog-The Bounty Hunter"

Last edited by omega50; 10-26-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM

We're going to Ambergris Caye in Belize this November... I hope it goes well since it is our first beach vacation. We couldn't quite pull ourselves to do an all inclusive fenced in prison and we'll do Hawaii when we're older and need an 'easy' vacation.
If it was more of a summer vacation I'd suggest Iceland with the new direct flight out of YEG.
Your kids would love it and so would you! Tons to explore and lots to see with fantastic people. I've never felt so at home out of Canada before... and yet in a landscape out of this world. It's even not that bad in winter apparently. Still warmer then here but I wouldn't call it a beach vacation... unless you stay in one of the hot pools.