Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Default clam kenai - shanty

I just built my Clam Kenai that I bought at Bass Pro for $159.00..It took 1.5 hours...I've had 3 back surgeries and had no problem lifting it...

November 26th Calgary Alberta Canada...I'm praying for ice and no snow

My youngest son (16) - I told him I was buying a new shanty replied "Buy a single one this year"

I have a Aqua-vu camera and heater and there is room
Old 11-26-2009, 05:24 PM

I bought the same one for the same price about a month ago and can't wait to get it on the ice. The only thing I am thinking of switching up on it is the seat. I think I may put a boat seat with a back on it instead of the one in it. I have major back problems and need some support. Other then that I think its gonna be the perfect little hut.

Nate
Old 11-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Looks like a nice unit. I figure since I ordered an ice shack and plan on ice fishing this year it wont freeze over til about spring didnt go at all last winter because I was working outside , so I had enough of the cold.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I bought the same one for the same price about a month ago and can't wait to get it on the ice. The only thing I am thinking of switching up on it is the seat. I think I may put a boat seat with a back on it instead of the one in it. I have major back problems and need some support. Other then that I think its gonna be the perfect little hut.

Nate
For Back problems, etc. switching in a Boat Seat is a great idea for comfort. Been using a Eskimo 1 Man with a Boat seat and what a difference. Can stay seated for much longer periods. Back not as sore and still room with larger seat as sometimes I will have set up in the 1 Man is: Heater, Marcum Sonar and Marcum Camera plus Fishing equiptment. Of course did some mods to the unit to fit it in. Bought a Clam Nanook recently and already put in Boat seats into it. Here's the Eskimo 1 Man
Old 11-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
For Back problems, etc. switching in a Boat Seat is a great idea for comfort. Been using a Eskimo 1 Man with a Boat seat and what a difference. Can stay seated for much longer periods. Back not as sore and still room with larger seat as sometimes I will have set up in the 1 Man is: Heater, Marcum Sonar and Marcum Camera plus Fishing equiptment. Of course did some mods to the unit to fit it in. Bought a Clam Nanook recently and already put in Boat seats into it. Here's the Eskimo 1 Man
I was thinking about changing the seat after I sat in it for the picture...Thanks for confirming it…
Old 11-27-2009, 09:55 AM

just out of curiosity what kind of back problems/surgeries do/have you guys had?? I'm also a member of the bad back/back surgery club. had my surgery 2 years ago and i feel like a new man for now.

M
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 AM

It's called getting old(er)....LOL I do a few trips doing visual for Perch, Whites, etc. Sometimes end up haunched over looking over the hole watchin for hours. With the factory seats, would have to get out stretch.
Others have tried my setup and have installed Boat seats into their units.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 PM

3 surgeries (86, 87, 93) to the lower back then a major motor vehicle accident after that! Oh and add age factor into it now...
Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Nice unit. I have been playing with my new Pak Shack 3, which I picked up for a grand total of $111.34 with shipping and taxes off Ebay. Man does it go up quick, but it has the chairs that are typical soft camping style ones. Seem OK though. Bought the Single Pak Shack as well for a buddy of mine... Can't wait to get out and try them. I have been told there is at least 6 inches of ice on all the pot hole lakes around Edmonton, so will try and get out this weekend or Monday to a couple. Will be trying my new auger drill adapter as well...
Can't wait...
Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
I just built my Clam Kenai that I bought at Bass Pro for $159.00..It took 1.5 hours...I've had 3 back surgeries and had no problem lifting it...

November 26th Calgary Alberta Canada...I'm praying for ice and no snow

I have a Aqua-vu camera and heater and there is room

You should try setting it up over a lake...then you could fish... Not many bites on the lawn

I just did a perch survey the other day. Apparently we caught them all netting. There are none left.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Default perch survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You should try setting it up over a lake...then you could fish... Not many bites on the lawn

I just did a perch survey the other day. Apparently we caught them all netting. There are none left.
I was fishing for worms to be use as bait........The perch are their they are just getting Grey Cup fever and out shopping for watermelon.....Go Riders
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Yeah, go Riders!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 AM

My doc told me my back pain is from the bottom 4 discs being ready to rupture. I play alot of hockey and am a labourer at a glass shop in lethbridge so he is thinking they could rupture any time now. If that is the case he said he will have to get a surgeon to go in and fuse the bottom 4 vertabrae together to clean things up. He has also told me that there is no solution to fixing this problem other then fusing them together after they rupture so there is no point in slowing down. I am a 26 year old that fishes, plays hockey, and rides bmx pretty hard. I have had my share of injuries from riding the bike and this happens to be one of them. Once the back has had surgical work it should be fine according to the doc. I also need both knees and shoulders rebuilt so who knows what the future hold for me. all I know is that fishing will be on the menu until the time comes that I am getting eaten by the worms.

Nate
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM

was thinking of the 4 person clam .Nice looking unit with room to spare.Tons of lakes to pull it in to around here with a sled .
Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

Default Back Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
just out of curiosity what kind of back problems/surgeries do/have you guys had?? I'm also a member of the bad back/back surgery club. had my surgery 2 years ago and i feel like a new man for now.

M
not to hijack the tread. ( sorry if i did) but i also would like to know back probs.. i have pain in lower back ( beltline, on right side had X-ray, they say its some kind of arthritis, but i can sit good, it's just when i walk that it gets bad huting, could it be a pinced nerve?. an of you had that?
thanks all
RHF
Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Last edited by Jayboy; 02-22-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM

I purchased this ice tent at Wholesale Sports and this little unit is great i love it its great for transportation and i was supprised how much room is in it for just a one person tent !! family long weekend i went with a couple of buddies and all three of us in it .... snug.. but we fit