Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Default NSR Tonight

Going to be taking the fly rod out tonight on the NSR. I'm off work at 1430hrs, and then heading out toward the Gennessee Area to explore the river and if I'm lucky, catch a fish!

I'd love to have some company, if anyone wants to join me.

Cheers!

Jeff
Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM

I was looking at the river this morning, and my fly rod who is beckoning... At any rate it will be a bit yet before I can get out, but let us know how you do. I'm assuming you are chucking some streamers and dead drifting them. Let me know how far the viability is - inches or feet? It seemed a bit higher this morning from the rain that happened over the weekend.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 AM

I'm very much new to it, so I'll be trying a variety of things, and trying to fine tune my cast and presentation... I've only ever fished a small stream such as Shunda Creek... So I know there will be a learning curve!

I'll be sure to post a report and pictures tomorrow!

Jeff
Old 05-09-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I'm very much new to it, so I'll be trying a variety of things, and trying to fine tune my cast and presentation... I've only ever fished a small stream such as Shunda Creek... So I know there will be a learning curve!

I'll be sure to post a report and pictures tomorrow!

Jeff
Sounds good - I would try a sink tip or weigh down your fly - any woolly bugger or muddler minnow... let it dead drift on the bottom.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM

Ya Fallen, let know through a message and pics how it went! I am curious about when the Goldeyes show up. They are fun on the fly rod!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Sounds good - I would try a sink tip or weigh down your fly - any woolly bugger or muddler minnow... let it dead drift on the bottom.
green and black doc spratleys have always worked for me. Caught pike, walleye, sauger, goldeye and burbot on them in the NSR.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-09-2017, 03:50 PM

Crossing over the river at Fort Sask this afternoon all I see is water the colour of a double-double so will be interesting to hear about your adventure.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM

My son and I fished it on Saturday in the Rundle Park area and the visibility was about 4-6" at that time. I had one on and lost it. My son caught a 2 lb pike.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Caught a gold eye 3 days ago

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBaus View Post
Caught a gold eye 3 days ago

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Great! I will head down there soon then!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Last night was my first time putting on waders and heading into a river. The weather was beautiful, and the water wasn't all that clear... Maybe if you mixed One part Double Double to Three parts water... Maybe a foot of visibility.

I learned a few things. First, I don't have a hope in heck when it comes to figuring out what fly/lure to use... I fished a good variety of hooks. I saw one fish jump, and that was all. I did my best to find structure, but there is a definite learning curve there... I tried fishing both with and without an indicator (Similar to one of those "Thingamabobbers") and I wasn't much of a fan of what it did to my cast. Another thing I learned is that a silty/muddy bottom makes me very nervous very fast. I know I will get used to being waist deep in water, but a river of that size deserves all of my respect, even when in slow moving water. I was at Constable Chelsea Robinson Park.

I didn't have any strikes, so packed up after about 3 hours and hit Muir on my way home. Fished off the dock until dark, and managed one little trout, about 8", and missed another. They were jumping all over the lake like crazy. That was my first fish from a lake on the fly. I'm sure I looked horribly awkward landing that fish, as I tried to determine if I should just hand line it in, or reel.... So I did both

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Last night was my first time putting on waders and heading into a river. The weather was beautiful, and the water wasn't all that clear... Maybe if you mixed One part Double Double to Three parts water... Maybe a foot of visibility.

I learned a few things. First, I don't have a hope in heck when it comes to figuring out what fly/lure to use... I fished a good variety of hooks. I saw one fish jump, and that was all. I did my best to find structure, but there is a definite learning curve there... I tried fishing both with and without an indicator (Similar to one of those "Thingamabobbers") and I wasn't much of a fan of what it did to my cast. Another thing I learned is that a silty/muddy bottom makes me very nervous very fast. I know I will get used to being waist deep in water, but a river of that size deserves all of my respect, even when in slow moving water. I was at Constable Chelsea Robinson Park.

I didn't have any strikes, so packed up after about 3 hours and hit Muir on my way home. Fished off the dock until dark, and managed one little trout, about 8", and missed another. They were jumping all over the lake like crazy. That was my first fish from a lake on the fly. I'm sure I looked horribly awkward landing that fish, as I tried to determine if I should just hand line it in, or reel.... So I did both

Cheers!
You are with us all in learning - it never stops. As far as the NSR goes i fly fish it constantly and rarely will I wade in -its all basically done from shore. most spots are like quicksand so that few extra feet are not worth it. Unless you see the goldeye rising on the surface keep it low and slow near the bottom. I find a sink tip is the easiest to cast and control I dont bother with the long tapered leaders and weighing my fly down with bead heads and strike indicators. I find that hard to cast especially when you dont have alot of back cast room to work with on the NSR. As far as Muir goes - good for you. As the fish get less in there and older it gets less easier so keep at it and dont get discouraged when you get skunked. I an many others still do.