Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Default River conditions?

Hi, I've been itching to wet a line this spring and haven't had a chance to go do any scouting. How are the rivers west / south of edmonton? Any info would be great. Hoping to go out Thursday.

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister12 View Post
Hi, I've been itching to wet a line this spring and haven't had a chance to go do any scouting. How are the rivers west / south of edmonton? Any info would be great. Hoping to go out Thursday.

Thanks
Matt
I'm heading southwest towards Rocky Mountain House tomorrow in the AM. Going to go check out Prairie Creek, Clearwater River and maybe Elk Creek and Stauffer/Raven if I have time. I'll report back if I have time! Probably going to pass out right when I get home though haha, gonna be a long day.

Last edited by jjhoule; 05-02-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:17 PM

jjhoule. will be hoping to see your report. I was planning on doing the RMH/Caroline area thurs &/or fri
Old 05-02-2017, 01:56 PM

early season conditions, but Prairie Creek is fishable. Thursday looks great, if you have the time off I would go.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM

Fished Prairie for a few hours today, it's high, off colour and moving fairly quick but the fish were cooperative.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:00 PM

Default Little Red

Any idea on what the Little Red Deer currently looks like?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! Any tips on fishing prairie? ive driven by it lots but never stopped to fish it as it always looked low. I've fished Clearwater a bit with varying results, but many days with no fish.

Sounds like its a go for tomorrow, so hopefully I have some flies that they want.

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister12 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! Any tips on fishing prairie? ive driven by it lots but never stopped to fish it as it always looked low. I've fished Clearwater a bit with varying results, but many days with no fish.

Sounds like its a go for tomorrow, so hopefully I have some flies that they want.

Thanks
Matt
Just got back from my trip up to Rocky Mountain House! I mainly fished the Prairie Creek at upstream from the Strachan Provincial Recreation Area where its a bit smaller.

The river is definitely fishable, water isn't crystal clear but you've got 2 ft of visibility of so. Unfortunately I got skunked. I hooked into what a think was a brown but she got away.

I had a late start though, was fishing from 2-6 PM or so, less than ideal times. You might have better luck earlier in the day.

Not a lot of bug activity on the water yet, I wasn't really sure what I should be chuckin' out there.