Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Default Cooking Wild Game

Hey guys, if you have any questions about cooking wild game, please post them here. We'll be interviewing MasterChef, Tammy Wood this evening and will submit your questions directly to her.
Cheers!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 AM

It's nice to see game cookery being promoted.

It's a shame that the term "master chef" gets thrown around like jelly beans. It means something and has to be earned, not by being on a tv show but by studying and being judged by ones peers.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Love what you guys do...

I am a Meatatarian, always have been always will be. My Meat of choice is Wild Game and I spend a considerable amount of time to ensure my freezer is always well stocked. Questions;

1. BBQ/Grilling. Since Wild Game generally has no fat (except Bears and Wild Boar) what methods works best for the BBQ/Grill to ensure the Meat does not 'dry out'.

2. Roasts. Same question basically. Since their is not much fat in the Meat, how do you roast to keep it from 'drying out'. Do you 'add fat' such as bacon or suet?

3. Best Tripe recipe.

I can ask all day, but I'm sure others have questions.

Again, keep up the PodCasts, all good stuff.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM

ex811

I cut my venison into steaks or chunks. Chunks give me the option of stew or burger.

Steaks for the bbq or grill I cut thick and make sure that there is no refrigerator chill on them when I start. I use a thin coat of oil or yellow mustard to help my spices stick. For me good venison only needs salt and pepper but I have used all sorts of spices. I don't get carried away with high heat and only cook to medium rare.

Thinner steaks I pan fry with either clarified butter or bacon grease. Often when I use butter I let it brown a bit and add thyme and splash it over the steaks just before I serve. Still never cook to more than medium rare.

Stews I cook in the oven or a slow cooker. They turn out good and are filling, but I find that stewing does not leave much game flavor.

Burger I turn into meat balls and usually add sauce or make as a base for hamburger stew.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 PM

ex811

The previous recommendations are really basic and are my go to.

If I was trying to impress someone I would pick a recipe from:

Klaus Wockinger's
GAME
The art of preparation and cooking of game and game fowl.