Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default Well excuse me!

Didn't realize that a thread on a TV show about a gun defect that I hadn't seen before would get locked instantly. My humblest and sincerest apologies

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-06-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Default Remington

Why would we not want to discuss this issue . This documentary is a follow up to the original documentary and new issues have come up.

This is an outdoor hunting and shooting forum is it not. So what if it has been discussed before.

I guess better to discuss what's for supper or what music are you listing to now than something of substance to outdoorsmen.

Has this forum lost its way. Sorry to say but it appears that way sometimes.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:47 PM

If it's any consolation, I did not know that this was happening either, thank you for the heads up, I do not have that channel but will look for viewing of it on a different channel!!!

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Why would we not want to discuss this issue . This documentary is a follow up to the original documentary and new issues have come up.

This is an outdoor hunting and shooting forum is it not. So what if it has been discussed before.

I guess better to discuss what's for supper or what music are you listing to now than something of substance to outdoorsmen.

Has this forum lost its way. Sorry to say but it appears that way sometimes.
This forum has not lost its way, this topic has been beaten to death several times however
Do a search and you will come up with several threads , most of them argumentative
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This forum has not lost its way, this topic has been beaten to death several times however
Do a search and you will come up with several threads , most of them argumentative
Cat
Cat we all know very well as hunters and fishermen that the cycle will continue just like it does with regards to outdoor magazines...a forum is just another version of periodically rehashing old items with perhaps a different twist or new eyes/thought etc being involved...after all how many outdoor magazines etc rehash the vulnerable 30-06 and its vast capabilities...old eyes get tired of it but new ones are intrigued.

Now let's get back to that old dirty Brit rifle the 303
Shot my first whitetail with one in 1992...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2016, 05:56 AM

For those that missed the recall notice and own Remington's

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) trigger. Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 are not subject to recall.

Check your rifle here
http://xmprecall.remington.com/
Old 12-07-2016, 07:52 AM

It is an anti gun media witch hunt . Remington is the biggest manufacturer with the deepest pockets so they singled them out. Remington has a rebuttal video to this showing how many of these rifles were adjusted improperly to cause malfunctions for the purpose of the show. Why media didn't go after all other manufacturers whose box style triggers can malfunction the same way when crap gets into the mechanism blocking the sear from resetting or have been adjusted improperly is poor and discriminatory reporting. Currently there is a thread right here on AO about a CZ malfunctioning the same way.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

There are and has been a plethora of lawsuits against McDonalds, yet people still engulf big Macs.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 AM

A few threads that started specifically with Remington but there are several that got derailed as well in case everyone hasn't had enough of this junk lawsuit.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...Remington+sued
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-07-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

i found it!!!

that's the rock he has been living under
Old 12-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
A few threads that started specifically with Remington but there are several that got derailed as well in case everyone hasn't had enough of this junk lawsuit.
Cat
If the Remington design doesn't have issues why are many of the "junk" suits being upheld? I"m a Remington fan all the way but do recognize their trigger design is not as safe as others. Rather than ignoring the problems people should be informed so they decide themselves.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
If the Remington design doesn't have issues why are many of the "junk" suits being upheld? I"m a Remington fan all the way but do recognize their trigger design is not as safe as others. Rather than ignoring the problems people should be informed so they decide themselves.
Because people will sue any big company they can while laying blame elsewhere and it is cheaper for the companies to settle out of court instead of fighting the suits.
I once watched a muzzle loader go off with a Hawken shop lock when the the tumbler broke- the rifle was pointed downrange. Was that a design fault as well?
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM

nevermind. edited
Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because people will sue any big company they can while laying blame elsewhere and it is cheaper for the companies to settle out of court instead of fighting the suits.
I once watched a muzzle loader go off with a Hawken shop lock when the the tumbler broke- the rifle was pointed downrange. Was that a design fault as well?
Cat
I know nothing about muzzle loaders, just a little about Rem 700 triggers which does not involve breakage and which are obvious to anyone who understands how they function. The Mark X excluded.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Cat
Maybe they got sued for being negligent. It is possible that maybe the people suing were not just trying to grab money from this poor company who did nothing wrong. Maybe if your kid was laying on the ground dead because Reminton would not spend 5 cents on a fix to a known problem your opinion might be different.

The trigger was a design flaw, the guy who designed it told Remington and Remington has admitted it yet still tries to blame unsuspecting owners.

Even Remington's parent company knew it was Remington's fault and sold the company to get away from damage caused by the neglect.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Maybe they got sued for being negligent. It is possible that maybe the people suing were not just trying to grab money from this poor company who did nothing wrong. Maybe if your kid was laying on the ground dead because Reminton would not spend 5 cents on a fix to a known problem your opinion might be different.

The trigger was a design flaw, the guy who designed it told Remington and Remington has admitted it yet still tries to blame unsuspecting owners.

Even Remington's parent company knew it was Remington's fault and sold the company to get away from damage caused by the neglect.
My kid was trained not to sweep anyone with a gun of any kind or hunt with anyone who has no respect for the muzzle of a gun of any kind
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 PM

For myself, I don't believe in using mechanical safeties. My firearm is active when I am shooting, and muzzle control is my safety. Anyone that comes over to my place to shoot is told upfront that using a safety will not be tolerated at my place, muzzle control is your safety, and if that does not work for you don't bring out your firearms. I have seen guys flicking their safety on and off while standing around talking. I have seen a hammer slip off the thumb, muzzle control sent the bullet downrange to the target. I felt bad for the lady that shot her son through the horse trailer, but in actuality it was poor muzzle control on her behalf that killed her son. Their is a false sense of security with these mechanical safeties, and it seems Remington dropped the ball on this one, even if it is still lack of muzzle control for the accidents. I wonder how many folks actually shoulder their rifle to undo the safety? From some of the articles I have read, it sounds like a lot of folks' guns were fired from the hip, which I would not want to do if I was shooting a magnum pointed at the ground in front of me, I would probably fill my pants.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
For myself, I don't believe in using mechanical safeties. My firearm is active when I am shooting, and muzzle control is my safety. Anyone that comes over to my place to shoot is told upfront that using a safety will not be tolerated at my place, muzzle control is your safety, and if that does not work for you don't bring out your firearms. I have seen guys flicking their safety on and off while standing around talking. I have seen a hammer slip off the thumb, muzzle control sent the bullet downrange to the target. I felt bad for the lady that shot her son through the horse trailer, but in actuality it was poor muzzle control on her behalf that killed her son. Their is a false sense of security with these mechanical safeties, and it seems Remington dropped the ball on this one, even if it is still lack of muzzle control for the accidents. I wonder how many folks actually shoulder their rifle to undo the safety? From some of the articles I have read, it sounds like a lot of folks' guns were fired from the hip, which I would not want to do if I was shooting a magnum pointed at the ground in front of me, I would probably fill my pants.

Sure glad I live nowhere near you.....
An accident looking for a place to happen.
Keepin ones booger picker off the trigger is a whole lot safer than what your saying along with the safety engaged, not to mention knowing whats in the chamber...
It doesnt take long to find those threads as catnthehat has provided links too.
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM

I'm guessing what's he's saying is only time a round is in the chamber, when its pointed downrange, ready and about to pull the trigger. Don't need a safety on at that point. Otherwise no round in the chamber, so no need to have the safety on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Keepin ones booger picker off the trigger is a whole lot safer than what your saying along with the safety engaged, not to mention knowing whats in the chamber...
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
I'd rather shoot with someone who has Couleefolk's attitude than yours...that's for sure.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

Everyone should practice safe gun handling but thats not the discussion. The real issue is that rem 700 triggers have two design problems which make them especially dangerous. Others like Timney and Shilen are not as inherently dangerous when installed on Rem rifles and provide at least as good a pull, actually better in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Send in your junk remington's to be fixed ... nuff said!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Banned

Keep in mind the design problems of the Rem trigger cannot be fixed only minimized by adjustment. If you are sending it away anyway I would have a different style trigger installed.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
I'm guessing what's he's saying is only time a round is in the chamber, when its pointed downrange, ready and about to pull the trigger. Don't need a safety on at that point. Otherwise no round in the chamber, so no need to have the safety on.
Another post I wrote without all the info. I believe in the action open or empty chamber. Muzzle control is of utmost importance at all times, I don't trust mechanics, especially if it is someone's else's equipment. I had someone show me a firearm one day that could fire without the bolt closed all the way (it was unloaded at the time). So when it comes to trusting a safety, I believe to many folks are a little to secure in those things. I believe each person has the right to use their safety as they see fit, just not on my property. I have one firearm that has no safety built into it, no half cock, and I don't feel that it is a dangerous firearm. I also have an old winchester that I have been told has been known to fire when the safety was flipped off, I have never tried it as the previous owner blocked it off.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 PM

I agree. Don't use the safety. Best one is no round in the chamber until you need it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
Another post I wrote without all the info. I believe in the action open or empty chamber. Muzzle control is of utmost importance at all times, I don't trust mechanics, especially if it is someone's else's equipment. I had someone show me a firearm one day that could fire without the bolt closed all the way (it was unloaded at the time). So when it comes to trusting a safety, I believe to many folks are a little to secure in those things. I believe each person has the right to use their safety as they see fit, just not on my property. I have one firearm that has no safety built into it, no half cock, and I don't feel that it is a dangerous firearm. I also have an old winchester that I have been told has been known to fire when the safety was flipped off, I have never tried it as the previous owner blocked it off.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob

Relying on a safety puts a mind at ease, to where someone can make a mistake with muzzle/trigger discipline. I'll let the sks warriors run around with their guns chambered and relying on a safety, not putting themselves in the mind state of having muzzle control as their number one priority when handling a firearm. But you can bet the people I shoot with don't rely on safeties around each other, and we will call each other out for having a chambered rifle that is not being shot atm.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:42 PM

And another Remington trigger thread goes off the rails and members starting running each other down.
Cat