Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 PM

Default Hunting Alligators in the US

Hello Floks,

I am considering going to the states to hunt alligators. I was wondering if any of you might have any information about that, or good/trust worthy outfitters to deal with. I've browsed the internet but don't want to end up with having to deal with less than an honest outfitter.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and info.

Regards,
Deerhunt
Old 09-08-2016, 04:31 PM

Call Broderick Vaughan (Vaughangators.com) just outside Tallahassee. My friend hunted and I tagged along for the ride. Awesome guy.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Just looked into this a couple of days ago, seems pretty pricey, over 3 grand, the bigger the gator, the more you pay.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 PM

Thank you Grizzly Adams.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Thank you ruffy71. From their website it looks that their alligator hunts are one day. From your experience, are they usually able to get an alligator in that one day?

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:58 PM

I hunted in August with Broderick as ruffy mentioned. Great time, great guy and a hunt I will do again for sure.

You need to decide if you want to do a public or a private hunt. Private is on private land, and you can hunt any time of the day with any weapon you like. Price is usually dictated by size and these hunts go on all year long. Public hunts are done during the regular hunting season (starts August 15) and are usually done at night where you spotlight the gators eyes and try to sneak up on him and shoot him with a bow, crossbow or harpoon. Prices will vary depending on the outfitter with some charging per night/per gator/ or by size.

I picked the public hunt because I wanted to use my bow and wanted to hunt at night. Broderick booked off two nights in case we got a storm and because we came so far (this is Florida by the way). I missed a couple of shots the first night and we didn't end up getting one. We went out the second night and got one after 4 hours. It is far from a gimme if you want a bigger gator (8 ft+), though we had some chances and if I would have used the crossbow right off the hop we would have likely killed one close to 10' the first night.

The private hunts are more of a guaranteed thing I think, especially if you are looking for a 4-6' gator, or even a 6-8'. That is the other thing you need to decide, what size you are going for. Broderick didn't charge differently depending on size which was a definite plus for me as that can add up quickly. He also removed nuisance gators as well, so if the timing works out you can help with one of those (we did and it was awesome).

I also talked to Central Florida Trophy Hunts after I was booked in reference to exporting and they seemed to really know their stuff and have got some big gators this year. If I was doing a private hunt or doing a Osceola turkey hunt I would be talking to them.

Exporting the hide and head is a major PITA and cost $$. Because it is CITES animal it needs to be exported through one of the few airports that has a wildlife inspector present and the permits need to be generated months in advance. I am using a taxidermist that has done it before, but it will be shipped to New York and go through a broker. Tonnes of paperwork. CFTH seemed to know this side of it really good.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:09 PM

If successful in your alligator hunt, I strongly recommend you get the hide tanned. Beautiful leather. A few yrs. ago I saw a tanned hide from someone who had gotten a 'gator. Lots of options of items you can get made.
Good luck!!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Default outfitter

i have hunted with sarfiri unlimited world wide twice in LA top notch and the real wilderness deal, Pm me for info and pics man
Old 09-10-2016, 12:32 PM

Thank you Triple Droptine for the very useful information. You answered all my questions. Much appreciated!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 PM

I haven't hunted gators, but it is on my list. I think a gator hunt t is perfectly suited for kids. I plan to take my boy once he can really handle himself in a boat. Probly around 12 years old.

I've done a bit of research, and plan for Louisiana as opposed to Florida. Florida has great gators, maybe better gators. But when I take my boy it will be more about taking decent gator, eating creole, taking in some Cajun culture, and seeing a different part of the world.

The research I've done on Florida hunting, all seems to tie into, shoot a gator, and go to Disney world. I'm sure Florida has great hunting, if you find it though.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Ditch Donkey,

Lots of the outfitters in Florida, especially the ones for private hunts seemed a little too 'in and out' for what I was looking for. That is the reason I ultimately chose Broderick. He seemed to be just a good old local boy and not a outfitter that was putting big numbers through. He is also in Tallahassee so it is a little more countryish that being close to Orlando (or felt like it to us). Overall a fantastic experience and one that I will do again for sure.

When you are cruising over a lilypad lake in the dark in an airboat and the spotlight picks up 6 sets of glowing red eyes, well that is a pretty surreal experience.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Banned

I go to Houston very often and most of the time I just make friends at the academy in Katy. They take me hog hunting and gator hunting for free. But then I take them saltwater fishing so its a trade . The wetlands by Fulshear, Sugarland, Surfside and even Montgomery are all good for gators.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 AM

I have to second drop tines comments and reading this thread (and others) just makes me wish lotto max would finally come through dammit. I'd be back to tallahassee in a heart beat, hogs, gators, quail and pheasant, hell even frogs. Then onto Louisiana for gators and ducks,
sigh.....
Old 09-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Default Transporting the hide

Thank you all, for the valuable information. I got a good feel now (thank you all) of how much the hunt might cost me. I am wondering how much transporting the hide to Canada might cost? I understand it is a very involve process with lots of paper work. Would it be very costly though?

Thanks again for any information you might be willing to share with me.

Regards
Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 AM

I hunted hogs in Florida with Westshore Outfitters. They offer gators. Seem to get some nice ones.

I would use Rigel Logistics to import the gator. They are very experienced.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Thank you, AB2506