Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Default 20c Day 10c Night Hunting

I'm heading hunting this coming weekend with a group.

I've gone hunting in warm daytime temperatures before but always gotten to below 5c. Never thought twice about hanging in a quality game bag in the shade.

I think 10c will not be enough to cool the meat properly, even if so, not sure I'll feel comfortable doing so and would feel horrible with any wastage of the meat.

I've thrown around a couple of ideas. First being, bringing a freezer and generator. Problem is, I don't think we have the room, although if the only option, we may be able to.

My second thought, was to bring 4 large totes (cheaper than coolers) and line them with a couple of towels to insulate them. 1 quarter in each and then filled up with frozen water bottles to keep the meat cool. I think this method would work well but I am looking for some input.

We plan on being out for 3-4 days and if we harvest a deer or 2, it would be nice not to have to leave. if we get our moose, we will be leaving as I don't think they make totes that big!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 AM

10 C is ok overnight but not much longer. Reality is, either you bring a freezer and butcher on site, take it to a cooler somewhere, or run it home.

Totes won't keep it cool for long, you need proper coolers that were chilled in a deep freeze and kept in the shade, full of ice...put the meat in once it's cool, maybe you get away with it for a day. But you can't keep opening em to check, so personally I'd be headed home after a day. Like if you kill one day, hunt the next and go home that night.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:16 AM

A big tarp blocking the sunny side and keeping the animal in the shade all day helped keep a moose cool for us one warm oct long weekend. No issues. Hide off. Cool nights sure help though. Play it by ear, weather people have been known to be wrong sometimes lol. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:24 AM

If ya look in a Superstore or Canadian tire there are a lot of those big Rubbermaid coolers on for around 25 bucks. I just picked up 2. They are the cheaper variety, but Idk. Might be a way to go grabbing 4 or 5. Don't know if that'll help. Just thought I'd put it out there
Old 09-13-2016, 05:31 AM

I'd focus on one or the other if it was me. Eliminates worrying about the other meat you already have sitting there. There's lots of season left to fill tags
JMO though. Good luck hunting.