Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Question White Tails and high winds...

What is the general feeling when it comes to white tails and high winds. are they on the move or hunkered down?

background: we had a storm tromp through here last night (we did not get the snow like mainland Nova Scotia did but did get lots of rain and very high winds--100km gusts) after the rain stopped, late morning, i headed "out back" to my blind. for a week straight there has been action at the apples but none from last night till dark tonight. the wind backed off around 1600h.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM

IMO out here in the prairies deer will hunker down. When the wind dies deer will start to move. Not sure what you terrain is like (I'm guessing bush/boreal forest) if that's the case you may have more deer activity deeper in the bush out of the wind. Mind you if you had 100km gusts there's probably not many places to escape.....
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM

From the NS myself and hunted there for 10 yrs and with few exceptions we didn't see anything in high winds. After a few days out in the wind we decided if they are hiding we are staying home.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:33 PM

If it's in the thick of the rut then the bucks could very well still be moving. Any other time of the year they'll probably hunker down but if you know of some good bedding areas and don't mind disturbing them then a windy day can make for ideal conditions to still hunt those areas. Their senses are nowhere near as helpful to them, that's why they don't want to move.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 PM

From NS also, what I find is you should be out in the heavy snow/rain when everyone else is at the local resturant. Windy conditions in NS the deer usually bed down unless its foggy/raining/snow etc. then they seem to move around more. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM

thanks! I think he only moves at night. lots of does around. and for two weeks now the buck (or bucks) have been scrapping the ground like crazy in the area where i have been hunting. i left 4 apples in my blind (more like a hallow under a tree). i spent the day laying there and even had a couple of pees. next day, the apples were gone and there was a scrapping about 15 feet from the blind. they are taunting me... only two weeks left. (by the way--i am still waiting for my first deer--ever!)